California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School

Charter | K-12 | 4222 students

Best known for our individualized learning plans and award winning curriculum.

Posted June 22, 2010

This ia an amazing program! We are so happy to be a part of this school. Our family actually had good experiences with traditional schooling socially but our son was always so far ahead of the available course offereings, he was growing bored with the process. Because CAVA is mastery based, he is able to work at an acelerated pace and is doing VERY well! Although we did not plan to homeschool, we are having such a great experience that we have decided to enroll our daughter when she starts kindergarten next year...BRAVO!

Posted May 1, 2010

CAVA@Los Angeles is the best! Our child is only in kindergarten and within 3 months of starting the program she learned how to read independently. She was bored when attending a traditional school. She was not being challenged. Now with CAVA, she gets to choose what subjects to study in any given order. She is more confident and she attends all the field trips. We have a great teacher that we can contact whenever we need help. CAVA is a great choice for homeschooling!

Posted April 6, 2010

My son was dealing with depression and wouldn't get up to go to school! I found CAVA and it was a blessing! Even though he didn't do all of his work, he got through to the next grade because of the compassionate teachers that guided us along the way. CAVA has an excellent program...if I can do it anyone can! THANK YOU CAVA!

Posted April 4, 2010

Both of my sons attend this school and are enjoying the most enriching, complete learning experience of their life. They are in middle school. One has a learning disability (high functioning autism) and one does not. I believe the curriculum seems so 'advanced' only because many of our brick and mortar schools today are able to teach so little with the existing state of funding and relatively short daily schedules. In addition, while the API score for this schools is admittedly low, I believe that is a reflection of the widely disparate motivational level of homeschooling families in general with respect to standardized testing. My sons earn very high scores on state standardized tests, but our family is very focused on the goal of higher education, so we spend time --using CAVA's wide variety of test prep resources--making sure that they are prepared to take their tests,

Posted February 21, 2010

We decided to try CAVA after my daughter was assigned to an abusive third grade teacher in an otherwise excellent LAUSD school. We encouraged her to try to endure the experience, but she was so stressed out that she was losing weight. CAVA accepted us near the end of the first semester, which we greatly appreciated. Before discovering CAVA, I had considered homeschooling. I knew I could handle the teaching but worried about which books to use and how to cover all the state curriculum standards. CAVA handles all that for you. They provide a truly exceptional set of materials and an outstanding system of organization. Still, homeschooling isn't easy. It requires effort, perparation and diligence from the 'learning coach' as well as the student. I agree it is probably not for children with learning disabilities. The curriculum is rigorous and demanding if you follow the plan to the full extent.

Posted February 9, 2010

There are pros and cons of CAVA. Our son had some emotional and social issues and we used CAVA for all of 5th grade, then he wanted to try Middle School and by the second month of 7th grade we had returned to CAVA. The curriculum *is* advance, which may be good for a gifted student but much more challenging for a child who already has learning issues. The assigned teachers, as well as the day's scheduled lessons, spend about 30% of the time focusing on preparing for state tests (STAR). This, obviously, is for the school's benefit so they can keep their funding. However, it really does nothing to benefit your child. And, despite the many internet ads for K12 virtual schools that say your child can 'work at their own pace'....this really is not true.

Posted September 20, 2009

Deciding to take my two children ages 9 and 16 out of the public school system was my best decision in my life. CAVA has been such a blessing for my children. The curriculum has been outstanding, my children are now being challenged everyday. No more just sitting in class reading a book and having no teacher interaction. My son has excelled and has a better outlook about school. His self esteem and confidence has improved.

Posted September 17, 2009

i love my son's teacher-Mrs. Koboka! all the benefits of homeschooling, with the ease of public school. the materials are shipped right to your door free of cost! it is the best school i have ever heard of :)

Posted August 11, 2009

It works beautifully for our needs.

Posted July 12, 2009

This is such a great school! We moved to Los Angeles to pursue my daughter's acting career, and it was the best decision we've ever made. The schools in our area are horrible, so we felt like we were at a dead end. Plus, with all of the auditions she goes on a week, there was no way regular schooling could ever be an option. CAVA allows her to work at her own pace, giving us the hours we need. If we need to go to an audition in the middle of the day, we can because we can pick up were we left off later, instead of losing valuble school time everytime she has an audition. I highly reccomend this school to all students who don't have the best schools in their area, or who are the parents of young actors and want to have your own schedule!

Posted March 18, 2009

Enrolling my beautiful 8 year old son in CAVA was the best choice I have ever made on anything in my life! If you are at home, or can be, DO IT! It boosts their self esteem if they are a child who has had difficulties in traditional school settings. They can go at their own pace, though, it is important to encourage, motivate and push when necessary. They are kids, right?! It is a fantastic program that is so much more entertaining, with audio History lessons, and hands on Science and Art projects! We LOVE it!! What a blessing! My son struggled with comprehension and being bullied. Not all teacher's are willing to support in the way they need. My son wants to review his progress and I can give him a pat on the back for his efforts. At the day's end, you know what they learned. DO IT! ~CDLTNLA

Posted September 27, 2008

Finally, a school where my highly gifted son can work at his own pace and thrive. The curriculum is excellent, doesn't teach to the test, and is good for all learning styles. Our teacher is very supportive. There are tons of field trips you can attend throughout California, and community day (where we drop off our kids once a week for 'regular' schooling, but they're placed by ability, not age). We are so happy with CAVA.

Posted September 11, 2008

My daughter has been in CAVA since it started its second year. My son just returned after trying public school for one year. Public school has so much lacking as far as the amount of time spent on any subject. They do a lot of recess and other activities which are good because they need the breaks, but as far as being able to control problem children, they fail to make the grade on that. I find that my children are learning so much more and the materials are more challenging. They also offer so many resources to help your child learn when they are having difficulty with a subject or particular area within that subject. Thank you CAVA!

Posted August 28, 2008

I feel so fortunate to be a parent who can be home to utilize CAVA. I have a daughter in the 8th grade and we ran out of options where we live. The schools are horrible. One school we did try that was supposed to be 'good' turned out to be just another failing public school where kids wore uniforms. CAVA is also a little more advanced. When we sent our daughter to this 'good' school the class was just beginning to study a history lesson that she had completed over a year ago. The same was true in English and Composition. The beauty of CAVA is that your child can go at their own pace. They are never held up by the traditional approach to teaching where everyone stays together and works on the same lessons. We highly recommend CAVA!

Posted July 21, 2008

After having been in a private independent study school for 5 years, then attending a 'high end' public magnet school in Camarillo for a short time, we realized we wanted to go back to 'independent study' due to the ridiculous amounts of homework for a 6th grader, extreme disciplinary actions for not finishing 'classwork', i.e. sitting in 'detention', etc. This type of 'socializaiton' was not befitting our extremely bright (Star scored as a senior in high school!) child. Therefore, we discovered CAVA and we enrolled a quarter into the year and love it! The curriculum is about 1-2 years ahead of the local public schools, it is both computer and book based, it offers great flexibility for middle schoolers who are in sports or other activities. CAVA is awesome! The field trips are great and teachers are dedicated and thorough! We will do all of middle school here!

Posted June 26, 2008

My daughter is in CAVA's VHS. The high school teachers have been excellent. The online explanations are excellent. The expectations for the students are high. I do wish that there were more CAVA-planned field trips/activities for the high school students. There were few ways for students to connect in person that were sponsored by CAVA. Also, CAVA needs to find a way to get their science courses-Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc.-accepted by UC and other colleges. Perhaps they could have a once a month lab for students taking Biology, etc. that could be approved by UC schools?

Posted March 2, 2008

This is a really good school. My son is in his second year here, and it has worked out great for him. He can do many activities during the week that he would never get to do if he were in a brick and mortar school.

Posted January 29, 2008

Great school if you are lucky enough to be assigned a great teacher and have a great support system

Posted September 26, 2007

I have found CAVA to be an excellent option/solution. We did not set out to homeschool, but with some less than stellar experiences with traditional school settings, this has been a great option. It's the best of both worlds. I like that we can go at our own pace, we can do history all day if my son is into a part of history that interests him. But it is also set up in a traditional school manner from a practical delivery perspective. The program is delivered in a way that allows us to take the best of traditional school structure and replicate that in our day if we want to. Additonally, there is so much support from our homeroom teacher. I can contact him whenever we have difficulty or problems. We are more than prepared for the state tests. We socialize by attending after school programs and CAVA community days.

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

261 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

268 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

268 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

380 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

379 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

451 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

459 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

527 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

540 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

529 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

191 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

317 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

285 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students41%

Not economically disadvantaged44%
Students with no reported disability25%
Fluent-English proficient and English only29%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students87%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 55%N/AN/A
English language learners 2%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Brick and Mortar Public School
Private School
Homeschool
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • WASC Accreditation (2011)
  • National Junior Honor Society Grant (2011)

Special education / special needs

• School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Debate
  • National Honor Society

• Katrina Abston
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Part-time study
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Honors track
  • Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • German
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Acceleration
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
College preparation / awareness resources offered

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Sewing/knitting club
  • Yoga club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Tutor