Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Posted November 05, 2015
My daughter went from a straight A honors student coming out of a traditional middle school into hs and her motivation absolutely tanked. Obviously it wasn't all Cava's fault that her interest dropped so dramatically - however once I expressed my concern , I could immediately tell that they could care less. All they seemed to be particularly concerned with was attendence updates as required to enter by the learning coach (parent). If your HS student is interested in going to a UC or even a state school, CAVA's science classes offer no labs and your student will somehow be left with the problem of going to a Junior college to complete the lab. What a headache. Midsemester I withdrew my student from CAVA in hopes that her interest in school will again in improve as well as her social life (not the primary concern of mine, but hers).

Posted September 16, 2015
We were badly mislead by the school administration. My daughter is a competitive rower and in order to be eligible for the college scholarship she was offered and compete in the NCAA she had to meet the NCAA's academic requirements. In February of 2014 I went to great lengths to hunt down the right people to speak to at CAVA to confirm that their classes were NCAA eligible and was assured they were and they had NEVER had a problem with the NCAA... only to find out in June they had been under review for the entire year and were as of then declared 100% ineligible under the NCAA requirements. We moved my daughter to Connections, where she had to take 9 classes 2d semester and a full year summer school course to meet the min units required for an 'Academic Excellence' waiver from the NCAA. She managed it, but it was a miserable, stressful experience that we could have avoided if CAVA had been honest. Changing her one semester earlier would have given her enough units on just a regular schedule. For the record, she had a 3.84 GPA and mostly honors and AP courses, plus good SATs and decent AP scores. The NCAA's position had nothing to do with her grades and everything to do with CAVA, and the disaster we had to endure was entirely down to them LYING to me. If I'd had the exchange via email instead of over the phone with no record I'd have been sorely tempted to sue them. As it is, I would never recommend them to anyone, with a child in any grade, for any reason.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted September 16, 2015
I will not categorically say the teachers were bad, even if they are employed by a bad organization. They were doing their jobs and some of them did actually provide some help to my daughter, though the vast majority of her educational experience was simply reading online text, watching videos, and then taking quizzes and tests or submitting (generally very short) essays. I would say she predominantly educated herself... which works just fine for her.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted September 16, 2015
Yes, if only because that's what it takes to succeed despite CAVA's substandard education and dishonest practices.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted September 16, 2015
Absolutely not. An educational institution that has no respect for its students is not capable of developing that character trait in them.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted September 16, 2015
They didn't care about my daughter's educational or life goals, only about getting seat money from the state of California for having her enrolled, that sure isn't good modeling, is it?

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted September 16, 2015
How can a school that lies to its students at all, and especially in direct detriment to their stated personal goals, develop honesty or integrity?

Posted November 07, 2013
CAVA--San Joaquin. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS HIGH SCHOOL. This "school" does not inform parents upon enrollment that their child's courses will not get them into California state universities. We moved to CA from the east coast two months ago, enrolled our child in CAVA, and just discovered these requirements on our own. We are now removing our child and enrolling in another school. And though our child has spent time earning all A's and A+'s at CAVA, our child now will start the year over so as to remove these useless classes from our child's transcript. If this school is representative of California's public schools, the system is a joke.

California Virtual Academy @ Sutter School 5

Posted October 09, 2013
CAVA is amazing. My son is in the 3rd grade and has been struggling since 1st grade. His zoned school is so poor and run down they can't even supply them with the basic tools he needs. Not to mention he has been hit and bullied everyday for almost 2 years and the school will not do anything about it. We decided after a year of talking about it to try CAVA. Within a week they shipped my son everything he would need for the 3rd grade. from chemistry sets to music books/instruments to everything he needs to learn about art. He received over 60 brand new books for the year. His old school he literally only has 3 subjects, math, spelling and reading and had to share 20 year old text books with the other 47 students in his class. Now he has everything he needs to learn math, history, science, geography, spelling, reading, literature, music, art you name it. For the first time in his life my son is excited about learning and can't wait to get to crack open a book each and every morning. I am beyond impressed with this program, it saved my son from being lost in the public school system.

Posted May 11, 2010
Love it, great support. oldest daughter graduated 8th grade. Now my soon to be 5th grader will joining CAVA.

2360 Shasta Way, Simi Valley, CA  93065
Last modified California Virtual Academy @ Sutter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12
California Virtual Academy @ Sutter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top