Atherwood Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Simi Valley

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $350,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,670.

Posted September 27, 2013

Loved Atherwood! Both of my children attended there, with my last child just "culminating" from 6th grade this past year. The only complaint I have, is that the comments written in my child's ending report card, although I agreed with them, there was not one positive comment given. I have never had that happen before. I even emailed the 6th grade teacher about it, and was given no response. My child is not a trouble maker, just needs to try harder in the learning department. All the teachers my kids had were awesome and I could ask questions at any time and always received a prompt response. Very involved PTA as well.

Posted September 26, 2013

so far so great! my son just started k here and we love it. I love his teacher Ms. Oliver. Home work is great. I look forward to a great experience and will update my comment by the end of the year.

Posted June 20, 2013

We love Atherwood! Our older son was on the wait list at Vista, and was given a space for second grade. We were initially excited to get a spot at Vista, but realized how wonderful Atherwood has been. We're sad that Mrs. Lewis is retiring after this year, but are very happy with our decision to stay with Atherwood. The teachers and staff are all very caring and wonderful, and you feel like you're a part of a family when you're child is at this school. We give would give Atherwood an A+.

Posted October 15, 2012

Atherwood has been an amazing school for my two boys. We had the opportunity to move to Vista, but didn't want to leave Atherwood. The teachers are amazing. Many spend their own time teaching after school programs. My sons are constantly challenged and their STAR scores show it. This year their API is 911. For those of you reading the below posting, the PTA has changed since that posting. PTA's goal this year is to raise $10,000 in technology and have more family activities. PTA meets on the first Thursday of each month in the library.

Posted September 4, 2011

My daughter attended Atherwood for one year. It was a very difficult transition initially but by the end of the school year she finally felt like she could survive there. There were MANY problems with bullying and very little action was taken. Although the teacher tried VERY hard to protect her she did have 30 children to manage and obviously could not focus all of her attention on just one. Although I didn't bring it to the principal's attention I felt that it was not a priority for her to manage and discipline children caught bullying. The best thing that the school has going for it is the teachers! They work hard with very little resources and do the best they can. I felt like my daughters teacher gave 110%! The PTA definitely needs a makeover! The primary leaders (Pres, VP, etc.) have formed such a tight clique that outsiders are NOT allowed in. I talked to the President several times offering my assistance in any way possible. I really wanted to be involved in my child's school and education but this PTA President simply brushed me off and said "send me an email and we'll get back to you." After numerous emails and verbal encounters there was no response. VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Posted April 15, 2010

Beautiful campus, great teachers, wonderful principal. Atherwodd is all around a great school!!!

Posted April 14, 2010

The principal is wonderful, the teachers are excellent, my three boys love going there.

Posted February 22, 2010

We have moved many times throughout my 3 daughters elementary school life's and have attended 4 differents elem. schools. This school is the best school we have attended by far! The teachers are truly there to enrich these children and care deeply about their academic lives. Between all of my children, we have had most all of the teachers. Each one is better than the next. Truly a wonderful atmosphere for children.

Posted November 19, 2009

I have to say that yes Atherwood has grown and with that I think they have adapted very strongly.. All three of my daughters have attended Atherwood for all of their elementary years and loved/love it. My oldest is 19 and youngest is 7 in second grade. Its nice to have teachers recognize myself and my girls and ask how their sisters are doing.. Not only that the school cares about the children and the teachers are all wonderful.. On another note I attended Atherwood the first year it opened as a Kindergartener and have seen this school grow from 2 building to what it is now and it is all very positive. Its nice having so many kids go to the same school in the neighborhood.. Keep it up Atherwood Allstars!!

Posted July 28, 2009

I have to say Mrs. Garcia and Mrs. Fiore are great teachers. I feel fortunate that my son has had those two teachers. My daughter will be attending Atherwood in 2010 and I really hope she can have Mrs. Garcia and Mrs. Fiore. My son was struggling in 1st grade and thanks to Mrs. Fiore's involvement he was able to catch up to the class level. Mrs. Fiore used to stay tutoring him after school and helped us to get also more involved in our son's progress. I just have to say those two teachers are great.

Posted July 23, 2009

I feel that this schoolis great. We moved here from Palmdale about 1 year ago and my kids have already advanced so much. Thanks to all of the teachers and staff at Atherwood:)

Posted March 1, 2009

i just moved from california to texas and realized that Atherwood is the best school. you learn so much more, its really an amazing educational school.

Posted September 4, 2008

My children came to Simi from Westlake schools and I am very happy here (even happier here) at Atherwood two years in a row and this will be our third. My kiddos are happy too!

Posted April 29, 2008

I really enjoy the cozy atmosphere of this smaller school. It's easy to speak with the teacher and the smaller class size helps in the teacher knowing my child at a deeper level.

Posted January 18, 2008

This is a wonderful school. I'm a little perplexed by the comment dated Jan. 9, 2008 as this particular parent is moving to Valencia which is insanely overpopulated. I should know we recently moved from there. I will agree though that there is a large increase in the student population because of some new housing that has popped up. However if you are one of the families that live in that new housing it's amazing becausse there are so many Atherwood kids in your neighborhood. Regardless I would recommend this school. Parent involvement is wonderful. The level of instruction is amazing too. My daughter has 19 kids in her class which I do not feel is too large.

Posted January 9, 2008

When my daughter started attending Atherwood, it was a wonderful neighborhood school. It has since grown considerably with the addition of new housing in the area. The result has been below favorable. The teachers have felt the struggle with larger class sizes, more teachers sharing resources and less scheduling availablity for library, computer lab and special events. The PTA has tried to re-vamp to accomodate and has not been successful in resolving even the smallest issues. The teachers are adequate. The school allows such talk of clothing brands, social status and other discriminitory factors under the rationalization of 'kids will be kids'. Two years ago, I would have recommended this school. Now I am happy to be moving to nearby Valencia for smaller, neighborhood school.

Posted March 17, 2005

Good kindergarden classes, my son adored Mrs. Yatomi a very good caring teacher. It was a very good start for my son to have such a nice teacher in a small school.

Posted December 14, 2004

Atherwood is a great school with a great staff. My children have been at this school for 5 years through school choice and I couldn't have made a better choice. There is active involvement on the part of the parents and the teachers are very supportive of that. They welcome you into the classroom! My kids have done wonderful and their test scores have been outstanding. I have experienced no real problems since we first chose this school.

Posted September 14, 2004

I've had a great experience at Atherwood with my Daughter (1st and 2nd grade). The teachers are knowledgable and caring, and the administrative workers have been great. My daughter looks forward to school every day.

Posted May 19, 2004

I have two children enrolled at Atherwood. I have been very pleased with the teachers so far. They all seem to work with the children as individuals. What I have enjoyed most is the geat parent volunteers who really work hard for the school. Atherwood is a small school and that makes it easy for everyone to get to Know each other and they do. The PTA is great. I look forward to many great years ahead at Atherwood.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students76%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2350 East Greensward Street