Soquel, CA
Students enrolled: 1,003

Soquel High School 5

Posted March 21, 2012
This is a great school - they have so many different opportunties for students. The gMec Academy has new equipment and students graduating from that program have jobs. They great music programs, that win award after award, they have run out of room to put all the trophies. As far as the tardy issue, my son has never been tardy in 4 years, students get what they put in and I have seen many kids change from a do nothing to going out and getting a job. They have a great bunch of teachers that care and help students.

Posted April 19, 2011
All I can say is run....my son unfortunately is a student here. We were sold on how great their new MEC program is, well it has been nothing short of a dumping ground for students they don't know what to do with. There are no supplies and the teachers are unprepared to get this program up and running properly. If your student is very academic is probably a good school, but if your student is in the middle or lower with academics look else where. There is no support for students or parents who are not at the top.

Posted March 30, 2010
Mr. Maheron focuses on the dress code problem than academic problems or students. He only cares about girls showing even I centimeter of skin and gets a thrill out of Saturday school, you can only have 9 tardys in a whole year consisting of 9 months of school which is rediculous

Posted October 03, 2009
Teachers are excellent. Spirit is high. Students are great.

Posted September 17, 2009
Soquel High School is my home away from home. I was there for 22 years as a teacher and now I am still goin ghere to sub and do retirement work. It is like an old best friend. I have always felt home when I walk on the campus even tho I don't know any students any more. Both of my children graduated from Soquel High.

Posted September 09, 2009

Soquel High School 5

Posted July 02, 2007
I just finished my freshman year at Soquel and I have to say, this past year all or most of the rumors I had ever heard about SHS have been proven false. The Humanities Academy is an excellent program for improving writing skills, there are exceptional teachers for the various departments, and the band, which I am also in, is amazing. To all the parents who are reluctant to send their children off to Soquel: First, most of the rumors about 'bad kids' and excessive drinking being the norm at Soquel are utterly ridiculous. All three of my older siblings attended Soquel before me and agree entirely.

Soquel High School 4

Posted June 25, 2007
Soquel is a great school. The science department is excellent, with teachers such as Dan Siddens and Gail Alaimo, leading the way with their AP courses. The math department is excellent, too; Mark Mconnell and John Burns teach very solid courses. As a recent graduate of SHS, I feel well-informed about the quality of the classes and the teachers there. There are many superb teachers at SHS, and I encourage parents to look into the school for themselves; do not believe the rumors you hear about there being horrible teachers. Talk to some of the teachers, find out for yourself. And remember, tell your students to keep trying, even if they feel their teacher is bad. They will have a better experience if they try than if they had just given up. Bottom line - look into SHS for yourself!

Posted May 16, 2007
My child will graduate next month. I agree with other parents here: there are a lot of troubled teens at Soquel - lots of drinking. Even though they revamped the quad, the facilities are still sad. Non-responsive principal, vice-principal and counselors (I have no idea who is running that school). The Humanities Academy is the only good thing about this school - and it was started by concerned parents (not by the administration). Ms. Miranda of the H.A. is amazing!! She is the only reason that we decided to let our child stay at Soquel.

Soquel High School 3

Posted April 22, 2007
My son is about to graduate from this school...mixed review here. He was fortunate to land in the Humanities Academy here his freshman year and remained in the program through his junior year, the program was a god-send, and Ms. Miranda, in particular is an excellent teacher. His other courses have been hit and miss, with more misses than hits. We have spun our wheels on getting a grade changed from his sophomore year and, as parents, we are pretty proactive...we contacted the school at least 5 times about the grade issue and we never got a resolution. It is my opinion that this school does not put enough effort into the academics, but seems to put a great deal into the athletics. I agree about the lack of challenge in many courses. Intensive English 12 has required only 2-3 short papers in 8 months!

Soquel High School
401 Old San Jose Road, Soquel, CA  95073
Last modified Soquel High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Soquel High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top