Bad
Good

This is a great school and the new principal, Mrs. Martinez is a great role model and super involved. She always takes the time to talk to us parents regarding anything that may pop up. My daughter is in the immersion program and she loves it! She has had amazing and devoted teachers and she is excelling in every subject, including reading at a full grade level above her grade in Spanish (her non-native language)! The "2" rating means nothing to me because after experiencing it myself for two years now as a very involved parent, it is clearly a "10" in my book. Reading a couple of negative comments on here about "racism" towards caucasians was shocking! They are just upset because that clearly is not the case. Yes, there is a high population of low income families that attend Bijou, but that only has to do with this town and the lack of jobs combined with high living costs. Plus, it is important to raise our children in an environment with diversity. Lets surround them with all different races and socio-economic backgrounds and teach our children to befriend EVERYONE! Bijou is a great school!

Excellent! Parent involvement through the Spanish Immersion Program has really helped this school. Test Scores are rising!

My daughter went to this school for a very short period of time. Most of the students that go here are based on "certain locations" There is a large population of Hispanic children who go there. Her classes were not productive since children had to have bilingual explanations therefore wasted most of her time waiting than learning. Lake Tahoe unified school district is horrible in general. The city does not put any money towards the school system unless they are going to St. Theresa's catholic school (which I decided to enroll her to) or the science magnet school in Meyers. The sad part is, if you happen to live in a certain area in Tahoe, your child might have to go to this school. Take your child to Sierra House instead. They have a waiting list. I recommend the environmental magnet school, but if you are looking for something close by, sierra house is prob the best. Tahoe valley elementary is a dirt school, DO NOT take your child there. Their faculty do not give much interest and there are no extra curricular activities.

Bijou school is a great school if your of hispanic origin. breakfast and lunch will be provided, free bussing and your kids and they will have free run of the school with very little consequences. If your caucasion it's a different standard. I witnessed hispanic kids taking all the food for breakfast they wanted. Meanwhile a little caucasion girl wanted an extra milk but she couldn't have one. At recess before school I witnessed hispanic kids flat out punching each other with a supervisor present there were no consequences. The same thing happened to a non hispanic kid and they were suspended. Its common knowledge that the staff at bijou have different rules for different races in order to not upset the balance. Caucasion kids don't go to this school

Bijou is great. The two-way immersion program is such a wonderful complement to our school district. My son is in 2nd grade this year and is so fluent in spanish it is amazing! I hope the entire school can become immersion as the benefits for everyone are already being realized. The teachers and staff are incredibly committed to all the students in this school. It is a very positive learning environment and the low Great Schools ratings do not reflect that accurately.

Bijou Community school is just that- a community. The parents have become very involved and have great opportunities to make a difference. There is a huge focus on how success now will bring you success in the future with a theme of "Bijou kids go to college!" I am thrilled to have my son there!

Bijou's teaching and administrative staffs are both fantastic. Bijou offers a Two Way Immersion program that my daughter is enrolled in (just completing her second year) and it is wonderful. I highly recommend this school!!

We have two children in Bijou Elementary. Both are excelling academically and socially. The staff and parents are wonderful. It is truly a community school were everyone feels welcome. We need to support our schools and our community, get involved in your childs education.

Choosing an Elementary school for my daughter was a huge decision...Thank goodness we chose the right one!! Bijou is an amazing, cultural, kind and unpretentious school. I feel so welcome there by all staff, the wonderful principal, and the other families. Most importantly my daughter is learning what she needs to be learning and on top of that she is learning another language effortlessly...what more could we ask?!

I'm a parent of a kindergartner who attends Bijou Community School. We are just finishing our first year and I must say I look forward to the next 7 years with the Bijou Community School (I have smaller children who will start in one year). On my way to school, I pass by 3 other elementary schools and I'm proud that my daughter is getting a bilingual education. It's worth every extra mile!! Thank you LTUSD for bringIng such an amazing program to our community.

Last modified Bijou Community School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.