South Pasadena, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted June 26, 2014
My daughter will be entering 4th grade in the fall. In her years at MHS (she started in kinder), she has been blissfully happy--she is always sad to see the year end. She loves her teachers and feels very much a part of the school. I do think, at times, the homework load is a bit much and not all that helpful to students long-term. This is a very minor complaint, though, and I think partially influenced by parents who think their kids should have lots of homework. In addition to caring, professional teachers, my daughter has had great experiences with other staff--the computer teacher, librarian, custodians, and others. The PTA is VERY involved and gives ample opportunity for parents to participate, and they've also had some parent-education-type meetings. Finally, the location in the hills and with some trees does make us seem further away from the noise.

Monterey Hills Elementary School 3

Posted May 29, 2014
We are new to this school and our experience with the teachers have been great. However, the principal needs improvement. Dr. Navarro is not personable. She is also not interested in improving our school in terms of technology. There are No smart boards in this school whatsoever, anywhere. Unfortunately, we miss that back in our previous school. There are a countless number of public schools within 15miles of South Pasadena that have already been granted smart boards in there classrooms for over two years now, I don't see how this district hasn't done this yet? .Are we working on this? Are there any plans to use SPEF funds to get with the program on Smart Boards for the classrooms? There's always room for improvement. I get that we get "10" but we lack in different areas too. Parents are the true leaders in this school I say Bravo to you.

Monterey Hills Elementary School 1

Posted September 30, 2013
Awful administration. This is not a good school. Teachers and staff are rude. Worst school

Monterey Hills Elementary School 3

Posted September 03, 2013
The school is great, but I agree with the review below. The afterschool program needs to be addressed. the staff in unprofessional, lucking of proper education.

Monterey Hills Elementary School 4

Posted February 07, 2013
My two children attend Monterey Hills and are, for the most part, pretty happy. I do however, have two complaints about this school. The first issue for me are some of the Kindergarten teachers. I have personally witnessed a couple of them being rather harsh with the students in their care. The manner in which I have seen and heard them speak to the students is pretty mean-spirited and they just don't convey happiness. I don't know why that is. They seem unhappy and/or overwhelmed at times and it's pretty obvious that perhaps they do not enjoy their job as much as you would hope. Also, the office personnel are not very friendly or particularly helpful. They just don't go that extra step to be helpful in a nice way. I plan on speaking with the Principal of the school soon so bring my observances to her attention.

Monterey Hills Elementary School 0

Posted April 29, 2010
Great teachers and staff that have genuine interest and pride in the school.

Posted March 26, 2010
Monterey Hills deserves a 10, not a 9. They're teachers genuinely love to teach and the neighborhood is very safe and upscale. My kids developed strong study habits here are a young age.

Posted July 20, 2009
Our home school was supposed to be Marengo but due to overflow my daughter was place in MHS instead. A week after school started in kindergarten Marengo called me that they had 1 spot for my daughter, I turned it down, for so many reasons. She had a great K teacher who she loves until end of school. The MHS area is more residential compared to Marengo its more exposed to businesses area in SP. MHS has a very active PTA. Great Principal, very involved and active. My daughter is reading now and do some math as well. Now my daughter is starting 1st grade this Sept 1st and she is very excited to meet her new teacher. im very confident that her 1st grade teacher is as competent and intellectual as her K teacher. We dont want to anywhere else than MHS. Salute to the teachers and staff of MHS.

Posted March 30, 2009
My son has attended Monterey Hills since Kinder and is in third grade now. From the very first day, the school has provided an environment that combines strong academic programs with enrichment activities. Hands on school principal and caring teachers. Great playard with lots of shade and green.

Posted June 25, 2008
Our home school should have been Arroyo Vista but our son was sent to Monterey Hills due to overflow issues at Arroyo. My husband and I were excited to see the enthusiasm from the staff at Monterey Hills and felt comfortable knowing that our son was going to receive a good start for kindergarten. We just received our acceptance letter from Monterey Hills indicating that he can stay until the 5th grade. Monterey Hills is an incredible school with a wonderful staff of professionals! Wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Monterey Hills Elementary School
1624 Via Del Rey, South Pasadena, CA  91030
Last modified Monterey Hills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monterey Hills Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top