South Pasadena, CA
Students enrolled: 1,562

South Pasadena Senior High School 2

Posted January 28, 2015
Student feel alone and are lost in the political shuffle at the High School. Staff turn a blind eye to some of the undisciplined students and focuses on the higher achievers instead of helping the ones that are struggling. Threats to the High School does not help and many students are leaving due to the unsafe conditions.

South Pasadena Senior High School 3

Posted September 27, 2013
School is more than grades. it is about morals, ethics and character. Okay school, if the parents get behind the student. Schools don't raise kids, good parents do.

Posted September 26, 2013
I never expected the transition from private to public school to be so easy. The school is so well run. Principal Janet Anderson excels with communication and is clearly involved in every aspect of the school community. We have found the teachers to be engaging and responsive. We couldn't be happier!

South Pasadena Senior High School 3

Posted June 22, 2012
My child is a student here. She does not feel the reachers are that great. She has honors classes and still needs to have a tutor. Once the tutor explains it, she understands it. Wait? Isn't that the teachers job? The school is tolerant of behavior that used to get me tossed out of school. It is a very, very liberal school and allows to much to continue on campus. Nobody flunks, everybody passes. The school teaches my child morals and values that my family does not agree with. When my child goes to an assembly that is an anti-bulliying assembly, please don't turn it into a pro gay rally, as was done this year.

Posted April 25, 2012
My child is a senior this year, and we have been very, very pleased with all four of his years at SPHS. Most of the students are interesting, lively, engaged kids; most of the teachers are very good and dedicated to their students' success; most of the activities are well-run and designed with the students' best interests in mind; and most of the administration is top-notch. Anyone who thinks they can buy perfection in the form of private school is living in a dream world. If your kid is motivated and you're willing to cut the umbilical cord and let them do some of the hard and necessary work of learning for themselves how to get the most out of their high school experience, SPHS is an outstanding place for your kid to be! We are grateful for everything the school has done for our child.

South Pasadena Senior High School 1

Posted October 13, 2011
I am very unhappy that I did not pursue private school for my child. He is doing badly in science and geometry even though he previously had good grades. I now am paying for a tutor for both of those subjects. I would tell anyone to send your kid to private school if you want them to get a good education. You will end up using tutors and that is quite pricey anyways. Once you are at this school you will hear many stories of how awful the science and math teachers are. Too bad because SPMS was pretty good.

Posted April 19, 2011
My 9th grade daughter has an amazing counselor who is always looking out for her. She takes the time to know her on a personal level and is always interested in her personal as well as academic growth. This family is blessed to have Mrs. Strickland-Vadell in our lives.

South Pasadena Senior High School 2

Posted March 01, 2011
South pasadena High school would not be much if it was not housed in a wealthy nieghborhood. The students are not very interesting or creative for the most part (most of the really brilliant, interesting athletics, etc kids in the area do not attend SPHS). The teachers and the facilities are mediocre compared to the reputation. Though a few of the teachers are quite good, the high scores are really because the wealthy parents can afford tutors and test preparation classes, which are a MUST given the largely mediocre faculty. Though there are some great kids that go to SPHS (just like any where else) the young people seem especially uninspired, catty, shallow and fearful. They do not tend to attend their own dances and other events out of fear that it will not be considered "Cool". I am looking to find a more interesting scool for my child.

South Pasadena Senior High School 4

Posted July 08, 2010
Good school - with a great ESL (English as a Second Language) program. My sister went there: she lost no time in picking the new language and she quite enjoyed the whole experience. Moreover, she mentioned that you get individual attentions from the teachers and generally speaking, most students are scholastically motivated and well-behaved. The only compliant she had was that the math program was a bit weak.

Posted October 29, 2009
SPHS has a diverse community, economically & ethnically, for which we are proud. We all come together well. We have wonderful community involvement, a great principal, and stress great values in addition to academic achievement.

South Pasadena Senior High School
1401 Fremont Avenue, South Pasadena, CA  91030
Last modified South Pasadena Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Pasadena Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top