Alta Loma Middle School

Public | 6-8

Living in South San...

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $437,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,660.

Posted April 9, 2014

If I could give this school a 0 out of 10. I WOULD. I went to that school for 2 and a half years, and my last year second semester I transferred to westburough middle school. Granted I had bullying issues through elementary, it was the WORST at alta Loma. And whenever I took it to the office. They wanted no part of it. Too me, they are all lazy, and the teachers/staff are no use. In 8th grade when the bullying got to it's worst the cops got involved, and the school TALKED the cops into saying everything was my fault! The school admitted to doing nothing to help me because they were "lazy." I left that school with PTSD, severe depression, and high anxiety in all aspects. I do not recommend this school to anyone!!!! If I could continue on with everything that school put me through, I'd never end. Now I am a sophomore at elcamino highschool, and although things aren't as severe my past at ALMS haunts me. Sorry, not sorry.

Posted January 11, 2014

Principal prefers fundraisers people and because of that he ignores their bad behavior. It's sad and wrong to let people like that being involve with children education. This is the beginning of ALMS problems!

Posted October 22, 2013

I am an 8th grader at Alta Loma Middle School. I have to say, this school isnt really bad. I mean like, yes we have a ridiculous dress code but hey, you save a lot of money. The teachers there are great, some bad. Also I think so far the past two years ive been here the school has supported me a lot. They didnt expose me from this school after all the stress and stuff i put the staff in. Honestly this is the school for your child.

Posted April 5, 2013

I am currently an 8th grader at Alta Loma. This school is terrible the students here are out of control, which is fun for some students, but it bad for students in classes who want to learn. The students here lack spirit or pride in this school, and it is basically seen as a jail. Some of the teachers here are quite terrible, and Alta Loma is known for hiring terrible teachers, and then not firing them. Their are some decent teachers here, but the cIasses are so full students do not receive enough one on one help. I would not recommend this school to a student who wants to get a good education, but for a student who just wants to mess around, Alta Loma is the school for them

Posted November 4, 2012

My daughter got a top quality education at this middle school. Sure there were days she complained about the uniform or that she felt like she had a lot of homework, but that's normal stuff. In the end I'm impressed with all the knowledge she gained and also I can see that wearing the uniform taught her to carry herself & to dress herself respectfully. Now she's in high school with excellent grades, has grown in her self-confidence & is wearing clothes appropriate for a young lady. If you want your son or daughter to have a good education and to learn self-esteem, you'll be happy with ALMS. Kids might complain, they always do, but this is one of the best schools around!

Posted July 19, 2011

Thank God my daughter is out of that place. The principal is horrible, the security guard yells at the kids through a bullhorn and the uniform rule is ridiculous. They treat the kids more like inmates rather than students, then as a parent when you confront them on issues they either avoid you or pass the buck. I give one star for the sports program which I think is actually run by the SSF Rec. department

Posted May 28, 2011

i have gone to ALMS for my 6th 7th and now promoting from my 8th grade year.But the school doesn't let everyone " Walk stage" meaning that if you receive a F in Math or Language Arts you are ineligible to cross stage! this year 60+ kids are not crossing due to being put into algebra classes without the mathematical knowledge. Think about it is it the student, teacher, school, or the district's policies? on top of not being able to cross stage the school takes away the ability to enjoy the 8th grade dinner and dance, great america, and you are seated in a room while the rest of the students practice for promotion. I believe this is really unfair and cruel. I can see the school take some of the acticities like great america and the dance to students who do not even try to raise there grades up in the WEEK'S notice the counseling office gives kids in Danger of failing. Crossing Stage should not even count AS AN ACTIVITY. Don't let your children feel like they didn't acieve something. Thats how the 60+ kids feel like we haven't done anything for the past three years. I hope you consider this. THANK YOU

Posted March 21, 2011

I am a student at Alta Loma and now graduating from there this year. This school has had goo and bad times. I think it's some of the students that go here that show how bad the school is. Although last year 7th grade alone got 12 expulsions, I still believe this is a good school. They have teachers that are good and bad, and students who really have problems. All in all, Alta Loma isn't too bad.

Posted January 10, 2011

My daughter is now in the 8th grade here and has had hard times with teachers and students. But also good times, she has has a great language arts teacher who seems to give her inspiration. But to tell you the truth I think that most of the teachers here are ''gossip queens'' and talk about their students to much even to their own students! (Thats what my daughter tells me). Plus some of the kids that go there are bullies (what my daughter tells me) and they are still accepted there after so many referals! And I just can't wait until my daughter graduates from this place! Think twice before you send your kid here becuase I think this school and their staff need to grow up and be mature.

Posted March 27, 2010

I withdrew my child from Alta Loma because they showed an *R* rated movie without parental permission and they told me there was no 'rule' in the teacher handbook which stated what types of movies they can or cannot have children view.

Posted March 26, 2010

I am a student at alta loma and in my two years that i have been here there have been good and bad times. The things i hate are some of the teachers think they can boss us around like there our parents. One of my teachers yells at the class just for writing on our hand he threatens us with referrals and has anger issues. Or thats just what i think!!! and they never submit grades!!!

Posted October 16, 2009

I think the uniform rule is to much my daughter can't wear a red rubber band in her hair? The school and teachers should focus on teaching our kids rather than raising them. Also I don't like the security guard bulling my and yelling at the kids thru a bullhorn I would like to take that thing and put it right up to the principals ear and scream!

Posted October 8, 2009

Alright. The dress code is really ridiculous and some of the teachers at Alta Loma are really really terrible. But majority of the teachers ae great, there is lots of clubs, and there 'special homerooms' (leadership, yearbook, multicultural, peer assistance, and jazz band) are great things for high achivers. And for those who think free dress is too distracting. GET OVER IT! It really doesnt make a difference because there are kids who look better in 'free dress' then uniform

Posted September 4, 2009

I am very pleased, as I have been for the past 2 years (my son is now in 8th grade) with ALMS and pleased with the dress code. Some of the reviews I've read wonder why a parent isn't notified when a child receives detention!? This isn't elementary school, this is MIDDLE SCHOOL, and the students are expected to have responsibility for their own actions. This is not the school where the student can run to mommy or daddy and think they can get out of trouble. The dress code is great, and it does save a lot of money. The after school crossing guards are fantastic at keeping the students safe, and the traffic flowing. If you want your child to enjoy school while getting a good education, send them to ALMS.

Posted September 3, 2009

I Love the dress code. Not only did it save me a ton of money it keeps kids focused on whats important. Their attitude and education is far more important the having the latest fashions. I also think its a team effort between the kids, parents and teachers. If children have a bad attitude the parents should be dealing with it first. Its my first child and year here but so far I am very pleased with everything!

Posted April 13, 2009

This school has a ridiculous expectation for the dress code, as a mere untucked shirt can easily earn you a detention - which quickly adds up into referals and suspension. Not only do a majority of the students have bad attitudes, but staff does nothing to improve them. The education recieved there is satisfactory but the overall environment is mediocre and needs to be fixed.

Posted March 31, 2009

Its excellent is really safe and i like it because they use uniform code.

Posted February 9, 2009

I am a teacher at Alta Loma and I must say that all of the teachers are here to support their students. The principal and administration does a fantastic job in running a disciplined school. The students wear uniforms and the administration and teachers expect the students to have good behavior. Alta Loma teaches their students how to work hard and be respectful so that they can be successful in life. I hope that my message here helps give some perspective to some of these other comments.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 17, 2009

I am a seventh grader at Alta Loma and for the last two years that I've been here, my experiences have been pretty good. Most of the teachers are above average and the extracurricular activites are awesome. But, like many other reviews have said, our principal doesn't get involved much at all. From a student's point of view, we just see him as a guy who stands around in dress shoes with high heels all day and has nothing better to do than chat with staff in the main office and yell at kids to tuck in their shirts. Our principal should definitely be more committed to, well, being the principal of our school! Overall, Alta Loma has been great, and if you're a South City parent reading this with a child in fifth grade, I think this school might be for you. :)

Posted August 19, 2008

I went to a private school K-8, primarily Filipino (very little diversity), and so when I went to high school, I was shocked. I did not understand cultural diversity. Now as a mother, aside from academics and extra curricular activities, I look at the environment my children will grow up in. Alta Loma, so far, has been a great school which provides a good education, activities, and diversity. My daughter got mostly A's, occasional B's. She participated in track and basketball and enjoyed both. The kids had good sportsmanship & showed excellent team spirit. The negatives- I have heard of occasional fights at the school (but I think every middle school can experience this.) I am very surprised to see all the bad remarks about the principal. I have not interacted with him and can not give my opinion. I know the asst. principal through Junipero Serra and was not impressed.

This school's
API score

844

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

261 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

236 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

217 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a

n/a

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students71%

English learner9%
Fluent-English proficient and English only73%
Gifted and talented94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Band
  • Jazz band

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

• Lou Delorio
Fax number
  • (650) 877-8824

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Jazz band

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

116 Romney Avenue