Westborough Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 687 students

Sweep tile

Posted June 14, 2013

I am a current student at Westborough Middle School. " Zero-Tolerance for Bullying" they said. UNBELIEVABLE. I have gotten bullied in 7th grade. In the cafeteria an 8th grader who didnt like me got carrots and shoved the down the back of my shirt when i was trying to run away. She then grabbed my hoodie and punched me in the back. Instead of fighting back, I went to the counselor and cried. They then called the girl in, 1 WEEK LATER. I informed them the day it happened but i suppose they were too "busy". After they told my parents and I that her punishment was "classified". I later found out she was not punished not even suspended or a call to the parents. Otherwise the teachers are great. Mrs. Narvarte really helps her student and is hilarious while doing it. The teachers really connect with their students. Most of the students are ghetto and bad role models. Ive seen broken condems on the field and 8th graders smoking cigarettes and ALOT of cursing. great teachers, bad students,horrible punishing policy.

Posted April 21, 2010

I currently go to WMS as a 7th grader and so far, most of the teachers,counselors,and the principal is really nice. The school only has 1 class where you are like 1 year ahead, as far as i know. I love their contests, events,and prizes. They got great teachers. Most of them push you to do your work and it really helps.

Posted April 20, 2010

I'm am so glad my child is at Westborough. He is having a great experience at this school. Have not heard a thing about bullying or any other sort of problem. The principal is great as are the teachers I've encountered thus far.

Posted April 19, 2010

Westborough is probably the best middle school in the district but not the best school out there. The students aren't at all very nice and there are cliques everywhere. None of the students really excel and some of the classes are way too easy. And, the rules are super strict. They have cameras around the school because they don't trust the students.

Posted March 24, 2010

Westoborough is by far the best Middle school in the city of South San Francisco. All three of my children have attended this school and love it so much! It is safe, kids are friendly, the principal and the teachers are great and go beyond their duties. Especially Mr. Grant, who wonderfully supports the children in need. I totally recommend this school. Thank you

Posted March 5, 2010

i am a student here, AND I LOVE THIS SCHOOL !!! the teachers are great,kids are nice, and you can get great rewards for getting good grades!!! I COULD NEVER ASK FOR A BETTER LEARNING ENVIRONMENT OR SCHOOL !!! i hope you like it (for yourself or for your children :))

Posted July 4, 2009

I think the school is safe, but it does not really challenge higher level students. I think they simply teach to tests--and don't really engage students and foster a love of learning. Most assignments seem simplistic and rote. I son is not motivated to simply take a bunch of tests. Some of the teachers are really great; I guess they have their hands tied by the District Office which must be dictating the need to teach to tests.

Posted July 3, 2009

I am currently a student at westborough, and I totally love this school. It rocks! It got clubs, and stuff. I'm a cheerleader. And, they have student stores, gym, anything you would ever want in a great middle school.

Posted March 8, 2009

I am currently a student of Westborough. Please excuse any grammar mistakes I may make due to the fact that I am typing really fast. I love Westborough this is my third year and I will surely miss it. This school is very friendly and the teachers really care. They will spend all of there spare time if you are in need of assistance. Mr. Grant is a great help to all students. The greatest fact about my school is that they have extra help which goes beyond paid hours. I hope that in the future my school will be the same so others can get the education I did. Our school just got new textbooks, Smartboards ( High technology touch screen boards), and will be putting in a Geometry class next year. I hope this betters your son/daughters life.

Posted October 7, 2008

I currently go to westborough and i have one the TOP grades in Social Studies,Science,and P.E. The teachers are real supportive. Yes, and i know of the 'thuggish' problem overthere. One word: WANNABES! They just want to be cool and 'fit' in. I prefer to stand out because i know of the trouble that would happen if your child gets engaged in this kind of what i call stupidity.

Posted September 4, 2008

My girls went from a very EXPENSIVE private school to Westborough...and we are COLLEGE BOUND! It was the best decision that we could have made and we are greatful for the dedication and the careing help that we received. GO WILDCATS!

Posted March 13, 2008

I think Westborough is a terrific school. The principal, Beth is terrific. The staff and teachers are terrific. I can only think of two teachers i don't like. Most of the kids are terrific. The only negative comment I have is that there is definitely a 'thugish' element that is there now (with my third child) that wasn't there with my first child. But that is still a very small segment of the student population. And just to be clear, 'thugish' is not racist shorthand...one of the things we love about Westborough is its' wonderfully diverse student population. In response to the last review, I politely disagree but feel I have to point out that whoever wrote the review doesn't know to add an apostrophe to make the word 'childs' possessive, so that might help explain his/her child's poor grades. Westborough does have some demanding teachers.

Posted October 21, 2007

Westborough is awful. My child went there and he went from Straight A's to Straght F's. The teachers dont support my childs needs and the kids there are mainly bullying. I feel unsafe that my child goes to this horrible school.

Posted July 19, 2007

Being a former student of Westborough, and a recently promoted one at that, I know the benefits of going to this school. The administrative staff is prompt with responses, and teachers make sure their students are getting what they need to achieve academic success. I feel students and teachers at Westborough can easily connect, thus making it even easier for the students to learn what is needed. The WEB, Peer Tutor, and Big Brother/Sister programs are great for helping new and attention-needing students, as well.

Posted September 7, 2006

WMS is an excellent school thanks to the leadship of Beth Orofino. She really cares about the school and the students. She knows all 700 plus students. I went to WMS myself and I am happy my son is there now. The teachers are good.

Posted April 8, 2006

I feel that so many programs are being cut. Not many students have regular access to computer classes, wood and metal shop and art classes.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 20, 2006

Westborough Middle School in my opinion has high level of academic programs. I have 2 children who attend this scool for 2005-2006 and both have challenging academic programs. Access to information regarding child's status in class (homeworks; tests; etc.) via web is extremely beneficial. Teachers are consistent in their ability to inform parents. My daughter is in basketball team and I have noticed that there is much support from the school regarding these activities. Parents attendance at these activities are extremely high. Consistent programs in the schools safety are constantly implemented. Extra curricular activities for students are awarded via points basis and are given awards at the end of the school year once milestones are achieved. Overall, my children seem to enjoy going to this school very much and also enjoy being a non-uniform school.

Posted February 12, 2006

WMS is a great middle school. Ms. Orofino and Ms.Cummings are a wonderful, caring team! I wish more parents were involved!

Posted January 24, 2006

Westborough is a great school to go to. They run a great program. The teachers are very polite and cool.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 29, 2005

I have learned a lot from this school. And I am truly proud to have had the honor fo going to Westborough.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

199 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

224 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

223 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

232 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

224 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students71%

Students with no reported disability73%
English learner7%
Fluent-English proficient and English only73%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 25%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2570 Westborough Boulevard