Spring Valley, CA

Highlands Elementary School 4

Posted May 16, 2015
We just moved into the area and I wanted to see what our "home school" looked like, so I took a tour. I was fully expecting to validate continuing taking my kids to their current school, 15 miles west. I left the tour completely conflicted and much, much less sure of that decision. * The principal herself took me on the tour and was very nice and genuine. * You could tell the teachers like their principal and the principal likes the teachers - a genuine respectful relationship exists. * The teachers I spoke with were openly friendly and welcoming. *The office staff was also kind and friendly to me, a stranger walking in off the street! * This is a clean and pretty campus - It doesn't have that underlying "grungy" feeling that exist on many/most schools. * There are grassy areas mixed in with the classrooms, with 2 open play areas on campus. * A nice, new and lovely play structure. * This is the prettiest school garden of any school garden I have ever seen! * The children that I saw were all kind and sweet. I would happily put my kindergartener in this school. Trying to decide whether to disrupt my older kids for next year, though!

Posted September 14, 2013
Highlands is a wonderful community school. This is my child's 4th year at Highlands and it has been very good to us. The teachers are phenomenal! I can't imagine my child having better teachers anywhere! There is so much love and dedication given to the students at Highlands. My child is advanced in his learning and every year his teachers have made sure he is challenged in his studies, They have done a great job meeting his personal needs as a student. The PTA works hard to bring special events and activities to the students at Highlands. Over all we are very happy at Highlands and we are so happy that our child attends this special school. In the spring, the school gives tours for new students. Make sure you take a tour!

Posted September 14, 2013
What a friendly school! The teachers are all very dedicated to their students. Every teacher we've had has an open door policy for parents. They also do their best to reach each child's academic needs. It's a very special school and I can't imagine a better staff anywhere!

Posted June 17, 2013
I'm not sure why this school is rated so low. We have visited a lot of schools in the area, and Highlands was by far the best! There is a great sense of community at this school. The teachers, principal and staff are very accommodating and welcoming. I've never been turned down a visit to my kids classes. There is a good balance of hard work and fun. The staff works very hard to teach the kids and challenge them, preparing them for testing. They are also rewarded with award ceremonies recognizing not only academic achievements, but outstanding citizenship as well. The kids are constantly reminded of proper behavior, and how to be a Peacebuilder. I absolutely love this school, and disagree with the low rating it has received.

Posted November 17, 2011
Great school! Great principal! Everyone goes above and beyond to help out the students. I am proud to have my children attend Highlands.

Posted April 17, 2010
Highlands has excellent leadership. The principal encourages fun and creativity even in these stressful times with so much testing and high stakes political expectations.

Posted October 04, 2009
My son is on 2nd. grade and he has improve way high thank you for all the teachers and their support.

Posted August 29, 2009
Highlands is an excellent school. It has great teachers, a great principal and always includes parents and families in activities throughout the year. My grandaughter (now in High School) graduated from Highlands and still goes back to visit. My son who graduated last year received the President's Award for Academic Achievement signed by President Obama. My youngest son is in third grad at Highlands this year and loves to go to school. Highlands is the best and should be rated a 10 in all areas

Posted June 26, 2008
My family moved to the area just to attend Highlands and it was the best thing we did. I love the concern that all the staff has for education and safty of all the children. Thank you Highlands....

Posted November 29, 2007
Great School! My daughter love it. All the teachers are great and well concern for a good education to our children.

3131 South Barcelona Street, Spring Valley, CA  91977
Last modified Highlands Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highlands Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top