No rating

Santa Sophia Academy

Private | K-8 | 214 students

We are best known for teaching heart, mind, and soul.

Living in Spring Valley

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $233,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,290.

Posted May 9, 2014

One of the best schools in the Spring Valley-La Mesa school district. The Principle and her staff do a great job with teaching and caring for the students.

Posted August 21, 2013

I don't agree with the review about bullying. I have found the principal and teachers at Santa Sophia Academy to work very diligently with students and their parents when anything is reported. From our situation, it was readily resolved and she is doing very well. They certainly can't do anything if they aren't told. I have found this school to be caring, loving and great learning happens each and every day. We are very blessed to be here. And they now have a wonderful new pastor, too! A Proud SSA Parent

Posted August 20, 2013

Santa Sophia Academy is an amazing school with dedicated, faith-filled, concerning educators who truly go above and beyond to provide our children with a quality Catholic education.

Posted August 15, 2013

My daughter goes to this school and explains to me that she gets bullied everyday by other students. Pretty much all of these kids have clicks and not being able to mingle with other student in different grade levels. Not to mention there is little to none security or individuality. I personally feel that they do not prepare students for reality after school and I'm for one not going to let my child stay in a school with so many defaults.

Posted March 1, 2013

I like the school. The K through 5th grade teachers are talented in very different ways. Nice foundation for the budding scholar.

Posted October 2, 2012

I dont agree with the previous rating, this school is not very safe for our kids at all, sadly is located in a bad neighborhood, my car got broken into when i went to the open house for the school!!! I have a friend whos kids attend this school and during a school play last year a man running from the police was able to get into campus to hide. And sure why not, the school is not gated. The first thing that struck me was that gate was left open during school hours, children are sent from the school to the other side of the parking lot, walking unsupervised! The school got broken into and vandalized during summer. :(

Posted June 8, 2012

If you want to be able to breath while your children are at school Santa Sophia is the school for you. While other schools are dealing with weapons, drugs and bullying, ours is still dealing with chewing gum at school! What a wonderful and careing front office staff and a Prinicpal who truly loves her school and is so proud of the accomplishments made by her students. I would sell hot dogs on the corner to keep my children at Santa Sophia.

Posted July 27, 2011

I am an incoming 8th grade student at Santa Sophia Academy (aka SSA) who moved from Saint Rose of Lima in the middle of the year due to bullying. On my first day, everyone welcomed me with open arms. I would reccomend SSA to everyone. The academic program is great, the teachers are very good and care about the students, and most importantly, the parents, students, principal, and staff are really like a family. They even focus on oratorical skills, starting in Kindergarten. Parent involvement is great here, and the principal is a great leader. BEST. SCHOOL. EVER.

Posted May 7, 2011

What better gift can we give to our children? Santa Sophia Academy is a school which excels academically while nurturing students to be polite, giving, helpful, faith-filled participants of our community? Santa Sophia Academy staff is the BEST of the BEST!

Posted April 13, 2011

Wonderful school, great academic program and strong faith program. The children are well rounded and tought in a secure setting learn fundamentals that will last a lifetime.

Posted March 10, 2010

This is an excellent school where parents, teachers and administration work together to make it the best. It is a very warm community where all are welcomed. The students learn about Jesus and are very service oriented. The academics are great. I am always impressed with the students friendliness to all, their respect and poise and speaking abilities. They even lead school tours! What a great music program, too! Your children will be happy, safe, and well educated in this faith based school!

Posted January 12, 2010

Santa Sophia is a great school to go to. It has good teachers and they teach well about our faith. Some of the students there are nice but some aren't. If your not a part of the 'cool' people then you probably wouldn't like it there.

Posted August 4, 2009

My kids have went to santa sophia academy all their lives and what a great and caring staff. I have seen a major impact in my kids. I still have one kid that goes there now. I do recommend this school.

Posted May 5, 2009

I went to Santa Sophia Academy and if you were not one of the 'cool' kids it was not a great experience, I was picked on all of my eight grade year and the only person who helped me was Mrs.Nau but she does not teacher there anymore. There are better schools out there.& the school focuses too much on religion that they are a year behind on math, therefore when I entered high school I was not prepared.

Posted July 2, 2008

As a parent who is concerned about budget cuts and how this could affect my daughters education, I found a private school that exceeded our expectation. Small class sizes with teachers that give their all and more to educate th kids

Posted June 2, 2008

This is a great school. The class sizes are smaller than in public school and for a smaller size school I feel the teaching staff is high quality. The work my children are doing compared to their peers in public school is slightly ahead, and they seem to have a better grasp of basic concepts in areas that are important to me: English and Mathematics. They are secure and comfortable in the environment, and they will not have to change schools in 6th grade. The school does not teach to any standard test so they are not pushed toward a standard set of concepts mandated by the government. Furthermore, I have reviewed the curriculum for all the grades and prefer it to the local public school curriculum. It meets and exceeds that of the local public gradeschool and junior high. Of course, a Christian school environment is not for everyone.

Posted April 4, 2008

I am a student at Santa Sophia Academy . I think this school is great. The teachers are nice, and make the learning fun but at the same time the students are learning. The only thing that I do not like is that there are no 'periods' all the same 1 teacher.There is also only one class per grade so technically no new students or teachers every year. So I give this school a B-.

Posted February 24, 2008

I liked this school for a few years, but came to realize the curriculum is completely unchallenging (a 'worksheet' curriculum) and the teachers are mediocre. After transfering my kids to public school, what a difference! Meaningful activities, great teachers, science labs, happy kids. Bottom line...find a good public school.

Posted January 20, 2008

Its alright, but its not the best. The teachers are nice but the curiculum is not the best in the world.

Posted August 24, 2005

Great academic program. Lots of extracurricular activities. Parent involvement is encouraged and required. Lots of costs involved with school in addition to the tuition. Access to students limited when requesting a visit.

Asian or Pacific Islander 9% 11%

Arts & music

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Arts (all)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Rev. Jacob Bertrand
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone