7-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My daughter has attended to courses as a part-time student. Both professors have been extremely communicative. Her classes have been challenging but achievable. We are now thinking about applying full-time for our son as he moves into high school.

As a parent of a student who has attended Stanford OHS for 3 years, I can say that our experience has been amazing. The quality of the teaching staff makes the education truly unique. My son has been able to take advanced classes in science and math that would not have been available to him at most other highly rated schools. Stanford OHS is truly special in its ability to meet the needs of bright and engaged students. In many classes, the instructional model is “flipped”--meaning that lectures are watched before class and that discussion takes place during the instructional period. My son loves the give and take amongst his peers in this environment. He also enjoys the flexibility of the schedule. Classes are taught on a Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday schedule leaving Fridays open for club meetings and other activities. Throughout the week, teachers make themselves easily available to students through office hours and individual appointments. As a result, students form strong and lasting relationships with their instructors. We researched many excellent academic programs before selecting Stanford OHS. In the end we found a program that is both academically rigorous and innovative.

Enrollment is now capped at the present level, so expect admissions to get even more competitive. About 2/3 of the professors have an ivy league quality Ph.D. (most teaching at the high school level), so students perform as scholars in Socratic seminars. Expect college textbooks, no spoon-feeding, being highly prepared before each class, with participation required in classes of 16 or less. The writing center is devoted to helping students complete their essays; expect them to produce college-level work. Students are encouraged to attend professors' office hours. One parent said her son entering Cal Tech was better prepared than his peers; that was six years ago, and he graduated with a choice of three Ph.D. programs including Cal Tech, choosing Stanford. We visited Cal Tech's admissions office this summer and can personally confirm their enthusiasm for Stanford OHS graduates, who have many other fine college choices as well. We also attended a six-day Stanford OHS meetup in Shanghai with eight other OHS families this last summer. What a fantastic experience, which we capped off with 10 more days touring China arranged by a travel agency chosen by our hosts, flying to three cities and sightseeing with our own drivers and guides in each city! Stanford OHS has been a dream come true for all of us, parents and child, including the educational experience and the friendships we enjoy. For self-motivated students who thrive on challenging themselves and like the stimulation of associating with others with similar talents.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

When my daughter's English professor says he can do more with his Stanford OHS class than he did with his college classes at his previous school; when professors say they routinely see their AP students scoring a 5 on their spring exams; when you find stellar parents enthusiastically express satisfaction about the quality of education their children receive at Stanford OHS; when I interview the teachers and walk away amazed at the depth of the their knowledge and joy of their commitment to this school; when I see the essays my daughter writes and review her preparation for her finals, for which the school allots 3 hours for each class, I know the depth of what she is learning and how effective these teachers are.

Amount of homework: Agree

Our daughter rarely requests an extension, but she schedules her time carefully and works diligently. Her first drafts increasingly need little revision, showing improved productivity, allowing her to take on more responsibilities. Her confidence has increased tremendously.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Proctered exams, very close supervision in small classes of 16 or less, exceptional professors, great counselors for personal development and academic advancement, emphasis upon developing personal values, and high expectations, challenging coursework.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Through regional meetups and annual on campus events, the school builds and maintains a deep community of students, teachers, and parents who look out for each other.

Stanford Online High School offers an impressively deep math and science curriculum both at the high school and university level. If your child excels at math and science, Stanford OHS can take your child years beyond the usual AP Calculus and AP science fare. Talented instructors combine with motivated students to yield wonderful results.

OHS has provided our high school aged child with a terrific education. Teachers are engaged, knowledgeable, dedicated. The school is supportive and adaptive. The meetups, summer session and grad weekend provide much-needed face to face bonding time for students. Many of our child's best friends are from far-flung states or countries. If your child is self-motivated, organized, curious, articulate, diligent & underserved by their local school or capable far beyond what local school or peer group can support, then this may be the school for you.

Ohs has been an amazing experience for my 3 children. I have 2 in the High School and my 13 year old is in Middle school program. I am thrilled with the maturity and responsibility this program has fostered in my children. They have developed a keen ability to write concise and purposeful papers with the help of their teachers and the new Writing Center. The confidence and depth of their understanding has added to their analytical and persuasive skill. I have been extremely impressed with the quality of the teachers and the interest they have taken in my children's education. They are passionate about the subjects they teach and it rubs off on my children. The school is very challenging. My kids spend the mornings reading, writing papers, and watching lectures. As we are in Europe, they attend class from 3pm-midnight. Classes meet 2X a week for 1h 15min. Office hours are generally 2x a week or by apt. Stanford OHS is a progressive highly effective high school program for those who want to take an interesting class, a more challenging class, or a full high school program. The school doesn't require donations to the annual fund. Any amount donated is appreciated!

Last modified Stanford Online High School is a Private school that serves grades 7-12