Stockton, CA

Larsson (Sture) High (Continuation) School 5

Posted August 01, 2015
I was a student here for grades 11-12 and graduated in 2012. I owe so much to the dedicated staff at Larsson. My experience with high school prior was marked by consistent D's and F's, which according to the teachers and counselors was an issue of simply applying myself despite how difficult my diagnosed learning disabilities made this. The dedication and passion Sture Larsson's teachers showed me had me graduate with straight A's. Going to this school turned my life around and I owe it all to the school's staff and close family-like environment. With a little over eighty students and six teachers there were no unfamiliar faces and nearly zero conflict between the students. This school felt more like a community than any other school I'd attended and it did wonders for my work ethic. The school was not perfect of course and the problems it did have couldn't be ignored. For instance the cafeteria food was cooked at the adjacent middle school during their lunch hours (about 45 minutes before ours) and sent here resulting in lukewarm soggy food. I also, on a few occasions, was given sour milk, though I believe this is at fault of the district and not the school itself. Additionally, with the small amount of teachers and facilities there was an upsetting lack of classes to take. For elective classes I had a choice of either one of two art classes, a typing proficiency class, or PE. Lastly just one of the teachers was below par. The art teacher (who has retired since I left) meant well, but was generally incompetent when it came to communicating with students and controlling the classroom. Overall, however, Sture Larsson is a great high school with an impressively involved staff, and an incredibly supportive environment for students who are not a good fit for the standard high school experience. You should feel confident in your child's future if they get transferred to Larsson.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 01, 2015
The teachers are where Sture Larsson really shines. Each teacher cares deeply for their students and gets to know every last one personally. All of the teachers employed here truly have a passion for teaching. You'll never find a teacher that only sees a paycheck at Larsson and it positively affects students' relationships with authority figures for life.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 01, 2015
A standout feature of Sture Larsson's alternative learning environment is the absence of homework. Many students have no issues focusing and applying themselves while at school, but the second the bell rings, completing schoolwork becomes near impossible. Any number of reasons can be to blame for this, from uninvolved parents to learning disabilities. The removal of homework lifts a weight off of students backs that for some can be crushing. The success of this from what I've seen and my own personal experience was 100%.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 01, 2015
These are perhaps the most prominent qualities I took away from my time at Larsson. My learning disabilities made a lot of school aspects incredibly challenging. For my entire life before attending this school, the offered solution to my issues was basically: "Just stop being the way you are." The teachers and principal here taught me how to deal with my obstacles in a way that was individualized to work with who I am and I have since been a capable responsible adult and I owe mountains of gratitude to the staff at Sture Larsson for their dedicated, caring, and deeply involved guidance.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted August 01, 2015
Respect between students was a guarantee while respects for teachers was not across the board. One teacher (now retired) was disrespected nearly unanimously by each of her classes and another's strict authoritarian teaching method led to quite a few resentful students. In the case of the strict teacher, I noticed that nearly everyone including myself came to understand and appreciate the way she cared for her students after disliking her during their first year. Other than that, instances of students disrespecting teachers were uncommon.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 01, 2015
The small size of the student body means nobody is a stranger at Sture Larsson. Everyone has had to work together on a project at least once and is, therefore, unable to see another student as anything less than another person like themselves. Compassion, caring, and empathy come naturally, even to a bully, when your classmates aren't just random people with no connection to you.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 01, 2015
Students are assisted in ways pertaining to their specific individual needs and, as a result, see lots of progress in forming the skills and attitudes needed to be successful as an adult.

Larsson (Sture) High (Continuation) School 3

Posted October 23, 2003
If you want your child to get a good quality education then he/she should go to Lincoln High. Larson is a continuation school and of course it is not going to have such a great quality education. It's an alternative school. I go to Larson and I chose to go there because I was not doing so well at Lincoln. You can't really complain that you only get a sophomore education at Larson because if you really wanted to get a college prep education then you would go to Lincoln.

Larsson (Sture) High (Continuation) School 2

Posted September 04, 2003
Educationally, Sture Larrson is a complete waste of time. The teachers teach the same lessons and 'routine' year after year. Students that attend Sture Larrson to learn are disserviced and left with a sophomore education.

1813 Mcclellan Way, Stockton, CA  95207
Last modified Larsson (Sture) High (Continuation) School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12
Larsson (Sture) High (Continuation) School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top