Stockton, CA

Merryhill Elementary School 1

Posted September 03, 2013
Since the old principal left 2011 fall, the school has become a disaster. They were not able to find a permanent principal for 2 years now, and the integrity of the interim principal was bad, and her boss was not understanding the damage that was done. Many of the parents were warning both the administration and the corporate the consequences, but they were not listening, and specially not taking responsibility. Many of the teachers have left this past summer, making it hard to establish a good cohort of teachers, and communication between them. If one decides to enroll their child in a private, for-profit school, they expect to be listened to, and treated with respect, and care. None of this was true in the past 12/13 school year. Many instances where we, parents, we blamed for the lack of communication, that was clearly their job. We, parents, we blamed for declining enrollment, that was clearly their fault. With the highest tuition fee in Stockton, it's hard to justify. I'd suggest looking around the other private schools, and try those out first.

Merryhill Elementary School 3

Posted April 29, 2013
Constant changing leadership and teachers. No consistency between teachers. Some non-credentialed teachers. Safe environment, but at a high cost. Concerns fall on deaf ears due to this being a money making corporation.

Posted April 26, 2013
Wonderful school that provides an amazing education. I love the differentiation that they do and that each child is taught the way that best for them. They have had a few principals but the teachers remain strong and consistent. They are all amazing!

Posted February 01, 2013
Great school. Stayed out of the drama. Kids receive a very good education. Kids always enjoyed. They would love going to school and always wanted to stay. We moved away and had to put the kid into public school. They really see how great Merryhill did educating them. Wish the public school system would look at Merryhill to see how to educate children.

Posted September 05, 2012
New school year same drama. Principal is excellent. Most teachers are good, some I question their education. The parents are the problem, too many cliques and politics. I wish they would just focus on the education and stop being grown up "bullies." Some of the parents are in no position to discouraging billing since this is what they do when the isolate others from their "little groups." This is the first Merryhill I have ever seen such ignorant parental behavior. I just havent found a safe alternative in Stockton, because I have seen better educated better behaved parents in the charter schools, but question the safety.

Posted July 18, 2012
I agree with the last post. This school has too many politics and the parents are too involved and controlling. Now I hear they are working on the fourth principal in two years. I actually like the principal now. She is very friendly, knowledgeable and involved. She gets the job done and such big improvements since she has arrived. Merryhill does not have a very good reputation in this area. It is known as a litte school with a lot of "mama drama". They pay and they want to call all the shoots and it just does not work. Too much concern on being a big ifsh in a little pond rather than the education. It would be very nice if these mother's could just drop off their children and let the school do it's job rather than holding court in the parking lot or the hallways.

Merryhill Elementary School 4

Posted March 06, 2012
My son has attended Merryhill since preschool. He is now in 8th grade and is well prepared for high school. It is not perfect, but better than any alternative we have investigated over the years. They have good science curriculum, which many school districts don't offer these days, especially at the elementary level. The 8th graders are finishing a unit in economics, which I don't remember having at that age. They have field trips and science camp available, with themed "camps" available during most school breaks. They could use improvement in the lunch facilities and sometimes the restroom plumbing doesn't work well. Overall, the school is clean and well maintained. They have a fair selection of after-school activities, such as sports, cheer, chess club (new), drama club, and music instruction. The music program has improved lately. We've had mostly excellent teachers, though we do follow up at home. The principal is personable and takes care of business. Communication is better now than in the past.

Posted April 25, 2009
My child has been with Merryhill since he was an infant. (Sister school is a preschool) In comparison to his 2 cousins the same age who attend public schools (1 locally in Lodi Unified, 1 in the East Coast) he is ahead in all subjects. My child is challenged daily, but given all the tools to meet those challenges. The new Principal has held all the teachers responsible for following the guidelines set by the parent company- Nobel Learning. They are moving forward with the 21st Century learning- upping the curriculum with a 'schools without walls' approach- where the children can link with other Merryhill Schools to do projects. They are active in computers, drama, music, P.E., Spanish and science. The children are given high expectations and they excel! They offer a great sports program and a wonderful summer camp that keeps my child active and interested.

Posted July 11, 2008
Each of my two children have been students at Merryhill since kindergarten and I could not be happier with this school. They are in a safe, familial environment. I never worry about my babies. The academics are first rate and the teachers are incredible. My son is very active in the sports program playing flag football, basketball, and softball. The administration has made fabulous changes and is extremely professional. They care and it shows. This is why we call Merryhill home.

Posted January 17, 2008
All three of my children have done well academically at Merryhill. But my husband and I supplement a lot at home and with private tutoring. All of the teacher's my children have had so far have not been credentialed, which isn't what I would expect from the most expensive private school in the area. The yard duty staff supervision needs a lot of improvement.

Merryhill Elementary School
4811 Riverbrook Drive, Stockton, CA  95219
Last modified Merryhill Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Merryhill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top