Public charter
Studio City, CA

Posted June 30, 2015
this schools is well rounded and my child benefitted greatly. The instructors were very professional and my son came home a very happy child most days. They instilled great values into my son.

Carpenter Community Charter School 2

Posted June 08, 2015
There are good and bad things about the school, but in my opinion it is largely overrated. I think the only good staff at the school are the principal and the science teacher. Both are impressive and exceptional. Nothing else about the school is notable. There are a lot of BAD teachers at the school who seem to run the show. The school year is predicated by the teacher and can be miserable. One child had abysmal teachers. Each year my child spent all day in a boring class getting screamed at by mean, uninteresting teachers who should have retired ten or 20 years ago. My older child is moving on to a highly gifted magnet, but not without totally turning off to school in the elementary years first. My child was not only not challenged whatsoever all the way through school, but was put into special ed at carpenter for a stretch, which was a joke. The second grade teacher even told me my child must be autistic because she had a hard time teaching to my kid because my child finished work so fast and seemed bored. The next year my child was identified as highly gifted. They have no resources whatsoever for anything that is outside the bell curve. They are incapable of challenging bright children with work that is not rote and the typical worksheet stuff. There is nothing outside the box going on here. They only seem to teach to the standardized tests. My other child had better teachers, but was bullied all of the way through. My main gripe though is the school is SO overcrowded the kids are packed in like sardines. They can't run at recess and lunch because there's not enough staff watching them. Both my kids have had serious issues with other kids and bullying at the school mainly during recess and lunch and in the star after school program. Some notable memories are one of my kids being chased around by a kid with scissors. Another time my other child was threatened by a child who was wielding a hammer around after school--also in the star after school program. There's so many people everywhere it's hard to breathe just walking the kids into school in the morning. It seems like there are so many people there they can't all be living in studio city because one doesn't see as many children out and about in studio city as at the school. My older child had 40 kids in class in fifth grade.

Posted May 05, 2015
Both my boys attended Carpenter. They graduated and left feeling well prepared for Jr High. Carpenter has great teachers and there is tons of involvement from your parents, which make the school so much more pleasant to visit. Ms. Parseghian and Mr Lapittus stood out for us as both my boys had these teachers in 4th and 5th grade. They really prepare these kids and check them when they need to be checked. They hold them accountable for what they are learning and make it stick. I moved to this area just so that I could bring my boys here. It was the best decision as they have solid friends with solid parents with a solid community of involvement.

Posted October 02, 2014
There once was a man that entered a village and asked the mayor what the people were like. The mayor asked the man about his experience in the last village "they were wonderful, kind people" the mayor then said you will find the same people in this village. Another man approached and asked the same question to the mayor and the mayor asked the man about his experience in the last village "they were rude and unfriendly" the mayor then said you will find the same people in this village. That "dirty play yard" and grass area is a haven for kids to run around and work out indifferences, issues with their friends or just dig in the dirt for bugs. Get involved and then make the right choice for your child. Leave the negative energy out the door. Good Luck.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 28, 2014
We have two kids at Carpenter. We contemplated the private schools and then found that Carpenter is just as good. The principal is passionate and committed and it all trickles down to the faculty. I like that the parent body is very involved. There is a strong sense of community. Most importantly, my kids are learning and thriving and have a sense of safety and community.

Carpenter Community Charter School 3

Posted September 28, 2014
Not the school for a child who needs any amount of special attention. They make it clear that they would rather have your leave them to give you the support you need and deserve. It's sad that a public school chooses to run off the kids who are not perfect, my tax dollars are wasted since I have to hire all kinds of support that the school won't provide unless we sue the district.
5 people found this helpful

Carpenter Community Charter School 2

Posted September 02, 2014
not to mention how hostile parents can be as per the typical rude response to an opinion which every parent is entitled too. its time for a real administrator and a real music teacher who by the way should not be able to run an after school program on campus and charge for it. if you speak the truth here or air dirty laundry you get criticised.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 01, 2014
If you are unhappy with the school and our principal, you can do one of two things: 1) Get involved with the innumerable groups/committees that exist in order for you to build the school that you want for your child or, 2) Leave There are many public and private schools nearby that would be more than happy to enroll your child. Instead of being negative, find a place where you'll be happy. Yay!

Posted September 01, 2014
Families that do not like this school need to do one of two things: 1) Get involved and be a part of making the school what you'd like for your child or 2) Leave We're overcrowded as it is. If you are not happy, then go. There are plenty of public and private schools nearby that would gladly enroll you. This school community works very hard for ALL students including yours, and we really only want to be surrounded by people that are positive. Yay!

Carpenter Community Charter School 1

Posted January 30, 2014
I don't get the hype about this school. What a mess! The campus is filthy, the facility way overcrowded and there is a pathetic green space that they call a "play yard." Drop off and pick up are a logistical nightmare with all the traffic on Laurel Canyon. It really doesn't live up to the hype, sorry.
6 people found this helpful

Carpenter Community Charter School
3909 Carpenter Avenue, Studio City, CA  91604
Last modified Carpenter Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carpenter Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 120 reviews. Top