Bad
Good

Summerland School is a great school for our child who is thriving here. We like it that there are many families from Summerland and Carpinteria. Some of the kids transferred here from other schools (Aliso, Canalino, Family School and Crane). It is nice that everything is on one campus, so all the kids know each other since they have recess together every day. The teachers are vibrant and seem to really enjoy their jobs (the 2/3 teacher is Carpinteria Educator of the Year), and the kids seem happy to be learning together. They are getting ready for the whole school musical (I heard that this is their 7th year of putting on a musical production). Summerland is known for the arts , and they have a great gardening program, too.

Amount of homework: Agree

I really loved the students engaging at Dreambox that is an online assignment. The teacher is able to gage students progress.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school is a small setting . The students work well together and get to know and support each other well.

My kids loved going to the camps that are offered through the school. CIMI and the Astro Camp.

This school is literally a God send. We live in Canalino District but were able to petition for Summerland School because our son needs to be academically challenged. The staff and teachers are amazingly supportive and go above and beyond to help our shy son to feel safe and loved. In addition, Summerland School has gardening, art, and theater which most schools no longer offer. Lastly, the parents are phenomenal: loving, supportive, and committed to keeping our children safe and thriving. Summerland School is the public school that feels like a private school and we could not be happier.

Summerland School has been such a huge blessing for our family. We had always imagined that our kid would go to Family School until we learned that there was a lottery, and our kid did not get in. In retrospect, we feel so lucky that we ended up at Summerland School. Summerland is like a charter school with a very active gardening, art, music, theater and PE program. The teachers are very passionate about teaching and instill such a love for learning in our kids. Our kid just loves to act out the water cycle! The K-1 class begins each day with a community circle, where the kids greet each other in different languages, sing songs and do many other exciting activities. The result is that all 20 kids in the K-1 class have so much love for each other. They come from many different backgrounds, but they are like a tribe, and so are the families. Parents linger around after school, so there is a great sense of community, and many of them are very active in the parent organization. There are regular K-1 play dates in the park. Most importantly, our kid is on fire and cannot wait to go to school each day!

Summerland School is definitely one of the best-kept secrets for families in Summerland and Carpinteria. It s a public school but with such a private school feel. It has a very vibrant gardening, music, art and theater program. The teachers are absolutely amazing. They care so deeply about their students and really know how to make learning fun and interesting. This place has so much heart (and it doesn t hurt that it s only a block away from the ocean). Our kid loves it here (and can t wait to go to school every day), and we love it, too, as well as the wonderful sense of community it provides. We re so glad we found our way to Summerland. We couldn t be happier.

Our son is excelling at Summerland Elementary. He loves school. He is bummed when he has no school. Summerland is a small school, only a handful of students in 1st grade. Our son is far beyond his grade level in all aspects. Thank You to the Teachers,, Staff, and involved Parents. I may not be the most involved Parent...But I recognize the important foundation my son (and younger son eventually) is getting to develop good study habits, strength in friendly academic competition, challenging assignments with reward incentives, and the list goes on. The teachers care. The students care. And Each student looks after the other students to achieve their goals. It is amazing...and I was an early skeptic.

Old moldy school need to be separated from Carpinteria district because they do not care for this school it should have there own district like Montecito union . time to rebuilt a new school for Summerland

As an involved parent at Summerland School, I am horrified by the review of another's perception on May 8th about ours being a "horrible" school... and I disagree wholeheartedly. I see our AMAZING CHILDREN growing, learning, thriving in small classroom environments. I see incredible teachers with undaunting drives to educate and understand each child. I see a new principle with an eagle eye for details and a heart full of compassion. And I see passionate parents who care deeply about their children in our little Summerland School by raising enough money each year to pay for teachers aids in each classroom, a P.E. teacher so ALL the kids can get some phyical education a couple of times per week, plus separate arts and music teachers to round out their cirriculum.. .and more! When I look at Summerland School, I see happy children and a lot of HEART. I'm thrilled my kids are a big part of such a small environment for elementary school; and I'm proud to be part of the school by involving myself and my family in it's sucesses.

Last modified Summerland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.