Bad
Good

I was a magnet student in byrd. Byrd was an OK school ,but not the best.What i didnt like about this school is that there were a lot of fights during lunch. I had a staff member at the school act very rude to my parents, I was really upset and disappointed. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

I go to this school and honestly they at trouble maker that make it difficult for the other students to learn and teacher to teach luckily I am in the BHA BYRDS HUMANITIES ACADEMY so most students are well behave

All I have to say is that this school is great and all, but it's the students that make it horrible. I was a student here (graduated in 2012). So many students in classes were so disrespectful to their teachers, and they were very judgemental of their peers who did not "fit in". These brats create their own society and judge the ones who they considered "geeks" or "losers". It's such a pity really. There's always fights there (and the students fight over the most STUPIDEST reasons! I remebered one brutal fight where two girls fought over a guy. Pathetic) and even today. I visit the school sometimes to see my cousin, and I still see all of this trash happening. The school should focus more on their students rather than their reputation.

The traffic at this school is ridiculous and very dangerous. I made a complaint to the principle telling her they need a cross guard and police presence but her attitude towards the situation was nonchalant.. If this woman does not care about the safety of her student then what else does she not care about, makes me question how she runs this school..

As a parent I have to say that I am very disappointed in this school. My son has a IEP but NOT at all due to any behavior issues, I was always concerned that because he scores low academically he would be placed in a classroom with kids with behavior issues...and that is exactly what happened...The kids in his classroom don't even respect the teacher...There is lots of name calling. I talked to the counselor which was very nice but the situation seemed to only get worse because they think my son is "telling". He says other kids get bullied too, backpacks stolen, food stolen etc. And besides all of this they have a really BAD schedule where kids start off their school day in 4th period. then they go to 1st 2nd etc. but they have flip days where you start at 4th period then go to 3rd 2nd 1st. Really cant they at least just call 4th period 1st if that is where they always start. There classroom numbers are ridiculous too, they have numbers such as 1202. So on the first day of school, of say a 6th grader it is extremely confusing for kids and parents, and some classrooms cant be seen because you have to walk into a classroom to realize that there are classes within. Ridiculous!

This school has great teachers that really do all they are allowed and can do to help students excel in their classes and themselves. The school has a variety of electives to choose from: music, foreign language: Spanish, computers, creative writing, Teacher's Assistant, Leadership... The P.E teachers has a great system of management and plans for their students that students actually enjoy. Also, worth-the-time activities are in store, annually, for students who has good grades and tries for good grades and helpful tutoring from teachers and counselors for students who are in need of help.

This is my son first year and so far he has great teachers! He has improved his academic skills.

My child just started this year. But so far so good with the communication between the parents and teachers..... Like the respect that the school staff shows the parents...........

I Just Culminated From this School . Class Of '12 This isn't necessarily " The Best " School ever . But it's a GREAT School . I have attended this school All 3 years , & It was memorable . There is now an academy & your child will be able to have a better opportunity . But i PROMISE your Child will love this school . But everything depends on THEM , they can have all wonderful years by focusing in their studies & stay away from drama or they can ditch & not culminate . But the staff here are nice & will give you many chances for you to succeed . as the motto says " BYRD IS BEST " . I would recommend this school (:

This is the worst middle school in all California! The principal is extremely rude. She doesn't care of all the bullying thats is going on in that school. Students record themselves fighting inside school grounds and post them up online. I recently had a conversation with the principal when my 7th grade daughter brought some cupcakes to school. Several students like her brought cupcakes and other fast food. A student in her school approached my daughter and damaged her cupcakes. After that happened the principal saw her with the cupcakes and took them away,(HER RULES ) My daughter was going to tell her what had happened with the cupcakes and she completely ignored her. I talked to the principal of all this and she didn't care. To all the parents to are reading these reviews send your son/daughter to a school where your children will be safe and respected. Any school is much better than this one!

Last modified Richard E. Byrd Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.