Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 03, 2016
I have a daughter in an advanced placement kinder class and she gets 2 sheets per day plus reading time and sight word study. Which I think is perfect. I have a 3rd grader with an IEP. She gets 4 sheets; math, language arts, handwriting and study spelling words. They have worked with us to make it doable for her. They definitely work with each one at their level and I'm happy.

Apperson Street Elementary School 5

Posted June 03, 2016
My daughters have had a great school year! Awesome teachers. Great events and extra curricular activities. Lots of parent involvement.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 22, 2015
Mrs. Gonzalaz - My little girl is very spirited. I thank you for patience with her but still remaining firm and keeping consistent expectations of her. I appreciate you responded to all my questions and concerns promptly!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 22, 2015
I have wonderful experiences with both teachers I've been involved with. They are great at working with the kids and communicating with the parents.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted November 22, 2015
My daughter struggles with her writing. Rather then put her down they have encouraged her! They point out all the strong areas she has and assure her if she practices her writing will be just as good.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted November 22, 2015
I have a preschooler in the special ed and a kinder kid, both kids are treated with respect and are taught how to be kind and compassionate to others.

Apperson Street Elementary School 4

Posted September 25, 2014
It's funny how on these reviews the "parent?" is complaining about how their kids come home and don't feel they have learned anything; and can't believe they have an 8 of 10 on ranking? Do you work with your kids with their homework? Do you challenge them about what they learned in school? Maybe it's your parenting? These are states exams. Obviously they are learning things? If you child has ADHD, then it's your job to get them on a 504 program to give them more time with their tests and into a mgt program for ADHD learning, it's not the teachers responsibility. My daughter went their for kinder and is currently going for 5th grade, loves her teacher and loves her school. I highly recommend Apperson. They currently have events that more involve the community and that's a good thing.

Apperson Street Elementary School 1

Posted June 24, 2014
This school needs major help. My son had two wasted years here. 1st and 2nd grade did not prepare him. the teachers are terrible. they just care about their paycheck. his particular class was out of control and chaotic with different teachers every 3-4 weeks. No continuity for my child. I would not recommend this school to anyone. I've never experienced more frustration than I have at this school. Do not waste your child's time here.

Apperson Street Elementary School 1

Posted May 20, 2014
I would not recommend this school at all I have had issues with the principal, teachers and the pta staff. They don't care about the students or what the parents have to say really really disappointed im glad my child doesn't go there anymore!!!

Apperson Street Elementary School 5

Posted April 30, 2014
This is our first year at Apperson. My child has been warmly welcomed. I absolutely love our teacher. I feel the school does challenge my child academically. I didn't have much interaction with Mrs. Purcell, however, I can say that I have had interaction with the new principal Mrs. Smissen and every time I have spoken to her I have walked away from the conversation better informed and with a positive feeling. I feel like she is a go-getter and she is ready to make some positive changes to an already amazing school! And, she used to be a teacher for several years! Honestly, I feel like she is very straightforward and she easily relates as a parent, teacher, and administrator. The PTA has been amazing at answering questions and helping lead the way as my child is in kindergarten and I was new to the game. We can't wait to see what is in store for next year. I recommend anyone who is interested go check the place out! It's been a great year.

10233 Woodward Avenue, Sunland, CA  91040-3343
Last modified Apperson Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.