Sunland, CA

Apperson Street Elementary School 4

Posted September 25, 2014
It's funny how on these reviews the "parent?" is complaining about how their kids come home and don't feel they have learned anything; and can't believe they have an 8 of 10 on ranking? Do you work with your kids with their homework? Do you challenge them about what they learned in school? Maybe it's your parenting? These are states exams. Obviously they are learning things? If you child has ADHD, then it's your job to get them on a 504 program to give them more time with their tests and into a mgt program for ADHD learning, it's not the teachers responsibility. My daughter went their for kinder and is currently going for 5th grade, loves her teacher and loves her school. I highly recommend Apperson. They currently have events that more involve the community and that's a good thing.

Posted June 24, 2014
This school needs major help. My son had two wasted years here. 1st and 2nd grade did not prepare him. the teachers are terrible. they just care about their paycheck. his particular class was out of control and chaotic with different teachers every 3-4 weeks. No continuity for my child. I would not recommend this school to anyone. I've never experienced more frustration than I have at this school. Do not waste your child's time here.
3 people found this helpful

Posted May 20, 2014
I would not recommend this school at all I have had issues with the principal, teachers and the pta staff. They don't care about the students or what the parents have to say really really disappointed im glad my child doesn't go there anymore!!!

Posted April 30, 2014
This is our first year at Apperson. My child has been warmly welcomed. I absolutely love our teacher. I feel the school does challenge my child academically. I didn't have much interaction with Mrs. Purcell, however, I can say that I have had interaction with the new principal Mrs. Smissen and every time I have spoken to her I have walked away from the conversation better informed and with a positive feeling. I feel like she is a go-getter and she is ready to make some positive changes to an already amazing school! And, she used to be a teacher for several years! Honestly, I feel like she is very straightforward and she easily relates as a parent, teacher, and administrator. The PTA has been amazing at answering questions and helping lead the way as my child is in kindergarten and I was new to the game. We can't wait to see what is in store for next year. I recommend anyone who is interested go check the place out! It's been a great year.

Posted April 28, 2014
Apperson Elementary has been a terrible school this school year. My child has been neglected by sub after sub all school year !! The classroom is wild and chaotic. I am very involved and I volunteer. This is why I am aware. My child could not concentrate due to the loud, out of control atmosphere. They do not have a steady teacher in the classroom. Every 30 days its a new one. I do hope this new principal can create a much needed change. If your child needs extra help of any kind they will not receive it at Apperson. As a parent I am extremely frustrated with this school. They have not met my child's needs.

Posted April 17, 2014
this is where my grandchildren go to school we are proud grandparents, the boys are doing really well in school and we love the way they are learning and growing the teachers re attentive and helpful

Posted April 08, 2014
This school is a great school, I have a 5th grade and kinder had great experience will continue to attend. Principal Mrs. Smissen is awesome interacts with students, they love her she is very involved. Parents should get more involved to see what really goes on-helping out in classrooms, have communication with teachers,school budgets, districts policies and why teachers are moved around and what they are require to teach. Since I started getting involved I have more of understanding what goes on.

Posted October 24, 2013
My school is fabulous. The teachers are well rounded, I feel at home and included when I am there. I believe that my child is safe on campus, and with the proper paperwork, I have access to her when I need it. The curriculum is heavy but necessary for a solid educational foundation.

Posted September 23, 2013
The principal in 2013 should work with the surrounding neighborhood for a more cohesive environment.

Posted September 05, 2013
This is our third year at Apperson and so far we have had a wonderful experience. All of the students visit the computer lab, science center, and library once a week, which is fantastic. One of the reasons this school is so great is due to the amount of parent volunteers - there are so many that help in the classrooms, labs, with the PTA, etc. We have lots of fun events throughout the year sponsored by the PTA (Ice Cream Social, Fall Festival, Holiday Shop, Book Fair, etc) - and they keep getting better every year! We have been very happy with our teachers so far, and the office staff is friendly. Maybe we don't have the world's best principal, but everything else is enough to keep us here.

Apperson Street Elementary School
10233 Woodward Avenue, Sunland, CA  91040
Last modified Apperson Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Apperson Street Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 88 reviews. Top