Sunland, CA

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 18, 2015
The teacher for second grade gets no respect from me! She did nothing to help my boy!

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 18, 2015
This school does not instill or develop respect in it's students, unless you are a bully!!! then you can get away with anything. The principal will look the other way unless she is forced to deal with a situation. Not sure how she obtained that position or remains in it??? Worthless!!!

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 18, 2015
NO! The principal and staff did not have nor did they show compassion for my child, they did not care for my child, and they showed no empathy for my child. If they did they would not have treated my family so badly the school board had to get involved!!!

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 18, 2015
Only if you are a bully!! My child told the truth, defended himself, and got suspended for doing so. You tell me! My child was bullied every single day with no consequences to the other children. How fair is that?

Sunland Elementary School 1

Posted June 18, 2015
HORRIBLE!!! I don't know how it has as many stars as it does???? The principal has a God complex and doesn't get involved in serious situations unless forced to by higher up. She feel it is ok to belittle parents. There are no consequences or accountability for the principal, staff, or bullies at this school.

Sunland Elementary School 5

Posted June 01, 2015
If you're a parent who's looking for a school that promotes random acts of kindness, a Principal who asks at the assembly every week to the students, "Why do we come to school?" and the students shout with pride, "TO LEARN!!!!", and an amazing PTA that sponsors many fundraisers to provide amazing field trips for the students and teachers and Teachers' Appreciation Week with a Teachers' Luncheon....I encourage you to enroll at Sunland Elementary and be involved. Their teachers in Magnet and resident are exceptional and I have volunteered in different classrooms and I see how these teachers encourage the students to really think and be creative artistically. There's going to be a new computer lab next year. As a parent, I've not had any problems. Don't be afraid to COMMUNICATE to the Principal, the PTA, or the Parent Ctr. Of course there are bad seeds in EVERY school, and we learn to work with it and communication is key. Overall, we adore this school.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted May 27, 2015
I have this year seen a lot of students helping each other out and encouraging one another not to give up. And as one of the 2nd grade Magnet teacher always tell her students, "I know you all are smart, but there's always room for improvement."

Develops respect: Agree

Posted May 27, 2015
Yes, The Lion Laws encourages ALL students and faculty to follow: being responsible, respectful, and safe.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted May 27, 2015
Yes, the school's budget was able to bring on another counselor who is doing a wonderful job of advocating random acts of kindness.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted May 27, 2015
The Principal, the teachers, office staff, teacher's aides, and parent volunteer encourages with so many wonderful prizes and events.

8350 Hillrose Street, Sunland, CA  91040
Last modified Sunland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunland Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 61 reviews. Top