Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted October 02, 2015
One of the reason's we bought our house in this neighborhood was that this school had good API scores. However Sunland Elementary is far more than the sum of it's test scores. The office staff are kind and helpful, the principal is approachable and responsive, the teachers are dedicated and caring. This is my Daughter's 5th year at Sunland Elementary. Each year she has had a great teacher. She recently had a problem with a bully and it was handled by the principal and her teacher on the same day she reported it. My son is just starting kinder and I am so pleased that he will spend the next 6 years in this environment.

Posted September 28, 2015
Ms. Burden is an amazing teacher at Sunland Elementary. I enjoy her approach to teaching as she helps the children to think through the answers. She is excellent at helping to develop critical thinking skills - one of the most important and essential skills we can teach our children. We have 2 children enrolled. Mrs. Valle is a very caring Kindergarten teacher - the right amount amount of care balanced with firm direction. Our children are very bright - our oldest scored 95% on 1st grade private school national SAT. She is really enjoying her new school and teachers at Sunland elementary and feels challenged. Closed campus is great for pick up and drop off and gives us a good feeling of security.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted September 28, 2015
Ms. Burden is an amazing thought provoking teacher that motivates the children to develop advanced critical thinking skills.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 18, 2015
The teacher for second grade gets no respect from me! She did nothing to help my boy!

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 18, 2015
This school does not instill or develop respect in it's students, unless you are a bully!!! then you can get away with anything. The principal will look the other way unless she is forced to deal with a situation. Not sure how she obtained that position or remains in it??? Worthless!!!

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 18, 2015
NO! The principal and staff did not have nor did they show compassion for my child, they did not care for my child, and they showed no empathy for my child. If they did they would not have treated my family so badly the school board had to get involved!!!

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 18, 2015
Only if you are a bully!! My child told the truth, defended himself, and got suspended for doing so. You tell me! My child was bullied every single day with no consequences to the other children. How fair is that?

Posted June 01, 2015
If you're a parent who's looking for a school that promotes random acts of kindness, a Principal who asks at the assembly every week to the students, "Why do we come to school?" and the students shout with pride, "TO LEARN!!!!", and an amazing PTA that sponsors many fundraisers to provide amazing field trips for the students and teachers and Teachers' Appreciation Week with a Teachers' Luncheon....I encourage you to enroll at Sunland Elementary and be involved. Their teachers in Magnet and resident are exceptional and I have volunteered in different classrooms and I see how these teachers encourage the students to really think and be creative artistically. There's going to be a new computer lab next year. As a parent, I've not had any problems. Don't be afraid to COMMUNICATE to the Principal, the PTA, or the Parent Ctr. Of course there are bad seeds in EVERY school, and we learn to work with it and communication is key. Overall, we adore this school.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted May 27, 2015
I have this year seen a lot of students helping each other out and encouraging one another not to give up. And as one of the 2nd grade Magnet teacher always tell her students, "I know you all are smart, but there's always room for improvement."

Develops respect: Agree

Posted May 27, 2015
Yes, The Lion Laws encourages ALL students and faculty to follow: being responsible, respectful, and safe.

8350 Hillrose Street, Sunland, CA  91040-2406
Last modified Sunland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.