K-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Hi, This is not a suitable school for kids who need extra help. Too many kids and bad teacher to student ratio. The head teacher in my son's class had no knowledge about special kid who have special needs. Generally experienced teachers raise concerns if they see the kid lagging in speech or other developmental aspects. The head teacher who claimed to have several years of experience had zero knowledge about my kid's difficulties. I had a horrible experience with her as she did nothing other than complaining every single time. We being first time parents thought our son was misbehaving. Later we got to know he was a special kid after his diagnosis. If only she had directed us to get our kid evaluated it would have saved the kid and us a lot of stress . Lot of experienced teachers do inform parents about concerns and direct them to paediatric evaluations. She was always so angry .I now feel if she hated the job she should have resigned. She is not a positive influence on anybody let alone kids. There was this assistant teacher to the head teacher who was very affectionate to my son and would help him a lot. I am very grateful to her , if not for her my kid would have left the school long back. Fees is reasonable but public schools are any day better. They hardly have craft classes, no bikes, hardly any variety. Regret my decision of sending my kid there.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

The head teacher nor the other staff are aware of special needs kids

Amount of homework: Neutral

kid was in toddler class so have no idea about homework

Rainbow Montessori is an excellent academic institution that is always improving. It adheres to Montessori standards as well as the state's educational requirements. The infant and preschool facilities are top notch. In daycare and in academics, the teacher-student ratio is very good. The school is in the old Sunnyvale high school, but the facilities are well maintained and upgrades appear almost every year (most recent improvements are new carpeting this year and new playground equipment and ground cushioning last year). Academics are geared toward high achievers -- my 3rd grader has some 4th grade level work -- but the teachers work with the child's developmental level, as that is the essence of the Montessori method. This individual attention is the value of a private school, or at least this private school. I feel that this distinguishes Rainbow from the more hypercompetitive private schools so prevalent in Silicon Valley, where students are basically on their own. The school's daycare is in the child's same classroom for all but the last 1/2 hour, and includes recess and study hall. I feel that my child is safe and accounted for during this time. Daycare time may also be used for optional classes like individual music instruction, gymnastics (taught by a former Olympics coach) or foreign language (other than Spanish, which is part of the school curriculum). The school caters to busy Silicon Valley parents. It's available for any 10-hour day within the 6am-6pm hours, the school is open year-round (July-August are daycare only), and late pickup fees are very low. The student body and teacher population are diverse. My daughter learns about many world cultures. For her last winter program, her class sang "Jingle Bells" in Greek! Diversity is celebrated at this school, which will help the students excel in any environment. I only wish that the school went through 8th grade.

Rainbow Montessori has been in the business for many years. I happen to have experienced from past and present situations from this school. This school has changed to worse with administrations and teacher quality. Some teachers have served this school for many years and remain to be in the same position. I question about teacher quality and improvement. I have also noticed that administration has no control, or maybe they do not know what they are doing with today's education. Infant Programs - Beautiful rooms and Ok teachers. Often, I hear kids crying for hours but yet not attended by any. Toddler Program- They have packed up their rooms to the maximum. I have not seen any progress with this program. Frozen meals and overworked teachers are placed in this program. Cleanliness and teacher quality are questionable. Pre- School Program- There are many classrooms. They have 36 students. Teacher quality is below educational level. Most teachers have a rough time with English language. Classrooms are dirty and not up to any good marking. This is a serious situation I see. Different classes teach in different ways. There are no unanimous work levels. The administration has no power over what they teach. No standards at all. Elementary Program- They use very old textbooks. The teachers do whatever they want. The elementary director has no knowledge of running this program. All that she does is to divide students according to status and favoritism of each teacher. This program is up to no good standing at all. The discipline and overall school environment is not suitable for any child to be. I am wondering why the department of education has no power to check this type of school.

My daughter has been attending Rainbow Montessori since she was 23 months old and my youngest daughter who is 8 months old is also attending this school for daycare. My eldest daughter is currently enrolled in Ms. Balwinder's class G4 and will soon transition to kindergarten. She's always happy to see her teachers especially Ms. Balwinder. My daughter has learned to write her name, addition, subtraction, sound out words and build up her self confidence. Ms. Balwinder also gave my daughter the right amount of attention when she was learning to adapt to her new baby sister. I highly recommend enrolling your preschooler in Balwinder's class.

School is full of favoritism. Only few teachers are good in the school. If someone wants to join their kid in a particular good teacher, then we have to "butter" the principal and teachers. Parents whoever always tries to be in good books of principal will "ONLY" get admission into good teachers class. For rest, Principal will tell all kinds of lies to make sure they don't go to "best" teachers classes, so they can fill "normal" or "average" or "bad" teachers classes too. Principal will go extent that she will blame your kid that he/she is not doing good in academics, inspite of having the progress report is "best" from the corresponding class teachers. "Good" teachers also can't override principal. Overall, parents whoever have "enough" time to always talk, act, spend time with principal/teachers will only get into good classes. If you are person who don't have time and who can't butter this is not the place. Only good part of the school is cheap when compared to other private schools like Challenger/Stratford etc, which is not the only criteria for many parents to choose the school. Principal/staff should realize that fact.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Miss Balwinder in G4, my kid's pre-school teacher is very effective in her work. She has made a great impression on my kid who looks up to her and adores her. She is wonderful at making sure that the kids get the right balance between academics and fun.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teacher let the kids make the decision on what to study. ("No study is not an option.") This makes my son very happy because he feels like he is the boss.

Amount of homework: Agree

When my son was in preschool, I told the teacher that we did not want any homework. If there were anything they wanted my son to practice, please let him finish during the afterschool care time. K's teacher let parents decided whether we want homework or not. I opted for "Yes." My son has one set of homework package per week in K. Inside of it, there are few pages of coloring, few pages of language, few pages of math. My son usually can finish in one hour or so. Therefore, I think it is very reasonable.

Last modified Rainbow Montessori C.D.C. is a Private school that serves grades K-6