No rating

Challenger - Sunnyvale

Private | K-8 | 554 students

Student diversity

Living in Sunnyvale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $865,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,670.

Posted Monday, July 28, 2014

I'd give it 0 stars if I could. The teachers yell at students, thinking that's the only way to get students' respect. Instead of earning our respect, they try to force it out of us. Also, some teachers are bullies. For instance, they feel the need to embarrass the students they don't prefer, even insulting them. One teacher insulted me and made the whole class laugh at me just because I was different. The worst part is, she didn't even realize that what she did was wrong until somebody told her. Also, the principal is biased. When she wanted this student on student council, she MADE SURE she was on the council even though she got less votes, making up a new position for her! How ridiculous. There shouldn't even be a voting if she's going to do things like that. Also, the teachers and staff FORCE the students to buy the stuff the council is selling, otherwise we'd get some privileges taken away. I can't believe even after paying the expensive tuition, they're STILL trying to make more money since they spent all the tuition money on useless garbage. LITERALLY. They bought new trash cans and rocks. This place is a joke.

Posted October 1, 2013

I used to go here when I was in PRESCHOOL, 10 years ago, and the teachers that I had seriously needed to learn how to treat children. To start off, I used to have these hiker boots that had shoelaces and they kept on untying, so I would always ask the teachers to help me tie them. They got mad and told me to buy slip on shoes, but I didn't so they made me take off my shoes everyday until I got a new pair that they didn't need to "help me" with. Also, I used to play dinosaurs with my friends during playtime and I accidentally cut myself once with it and went to one of my teachers and asked for a ban-aid while crying. She was apparently too "busy" stapling stuff (what a lame excuse) on the wall, so she told me to go to the other teacher since there were two teachers in the class. I went to her and she told me that the cut was nothing, so I went back to the other teacher. I ended up running back and forth to the two teachers for a band-aid like a million times until I threw a fit and screamed & got a time-out. "Sunnyvale" Challenger needs to work on hiring the RIGHT teachers. (I hope that the teachers that I had are fired now)

Posted May 26, 2013

I decided to write this review because I feel obligated to let other parents know what is happening in this school. This school will cripple your child physically, socially and emotionally. How? While Mrs. Obama is trying to fight child obesity in this county, if a child misbehaves, it is Challenger's policy to refuse the whole class PE and recess. We have laws requiring employers to provide breaks at work, but these children have no rights. There are no real PE class or PE teachers, or sports but they will give your child barely passing grade for PE based on some standards that only they know about. And if you think Challenger is strong academically - you are wrong. They are teaching memorization. All they do is use textbooks from higher grades and give more homework instead of making sure that children actually learn. But you know what you child will learn at this school for sure? The saying: "It is not what you know- it is who you know". No matter how good you child is, the awards and prizes in all competitions will go to children of Challenger teachers. The worst part is that the kids know what is happening. I am utterly disgusted by this institution.

Posted August 22, 2011

I only sent my kid to the Kindergarten program in summer to try it out. The teachers have attitude, are rude to kids and they do not treat the children well. I will not recommend this school at all

Posted March 18, 2011

Hi, I am an eighth grader at Challenger Sunnyvale this year. I think Challenger gave me the best education I could possible receive and everyone is really disciplined and nice. I never encountered any sort of bullying or peer pressure in this school and the teachers take good responsibility. I highly recommend this school.

Posted November 9, 2010

My first suggestion is to avoid this school if you want the safety of your child. The school is overcrowded and has least amount of supervision during outdoor activities. All the emphasis is on Academics, there is no importance given to Social Skills. My kid got hurt twice within a couple of months, one of them being a serious injury, but the school management refused to improve their supervision practices. I heard great things about this school, I deeply regret sending my kid to this school. Please don't make the same mistake as me.

Posted October 11, 2010

Challenger focuses mainly on academics, and only has a running field. You can get a $1000 scholarship too; however, you need a 3.9 GPA in all the terms and 97% and above in all sections of the ITBS.

Posted April 28, 2010

Challenger empowers my daughter to be her best - the school has very high academic standards and provides the encouragement I would expect from every school.

Posted March 4, 2010

It's true this school has VERY high expectations. Some of the students have even developed permanent health problems due to all the stress. The school rules limit ours AND the teachers' creativity severely. Challenger is actually given standards by corporate (situated in either California or Utah). When one of the best teachers in our school tried to give the classroom a theme, someone from corporate said it was too 'colorful' and 'distracting' and demanded it be taken down. In the past we have taken Stanford Acheivment Tests, used mainly for private schools, but they have recently changed to IOWA tests, for public schools too. I work hard, and being in a private school, I want to be on private school standards. Also, some teachers could definitely be smarter, and the staff is simply unorganized - but just going to preschool is worthwhile, and middle school is average if not above.

Posted January 8, 2010

They have too much strict rules like army. They don't think about child's charateristic. Bad School....

Posted August 28, 2009

Very bad experience putting my kid thru' the priamry school system. Extremely high rate of turnover starting with the principal all the way thru' the baby-sitters. If you can please do avoid.

Posted June 8, 2009

Teachers work with only few kids. They dont work with all the kids. Biased approach. Had a very bad experience.

Posted February 2, 2009

This school is not like any other. The expectations are high and hard to achieve. Though the discipline satisfactory, the extra-curricular activities are bad. Thirty minutes of fitness and really not much. Parents have to pay a lot for not much. This school for sure takes away your ability to grow and to have fun. Once I entered middle school, freedom has become a lot less than I would expect. Teachers want too much out of students. I would for sure not recommend this school to anyone else in my opinion. Unless, you want your child to become a brainy little child. I have to admit, the academics are fantastic.

Posted March 6, 2008

Academics are good. Sometimes teachers are excellent, sometimes they are not. Teacher turn over rate is high since many teachers are there for their child's discount. Advantages are that all children have to perform at a minimum academic level and are there to learn.

Posted February 5, 2008

I am very underwhelmed by the quality of teachers. The teachers spend little time with parents to discuss the progress of students. There are no additional preshool classes for extended day care. The teachers have a condescending attitude and seems like they are doing you a favor by serving you. I would definitely not recommend this to anyone. I am currently looking to move my preschooler to another school.

Posted November 13, 2007

I went to challenger for three years. love their academics (good teachers, reasonably challenging), hate everything else. No field trips, no electives, no anything not hardcore academic. Horrible music program and no Walden West, which is an essential part of every 5th grader's life. Except for mine because I went to Challenger. If you really must send your child to challenger, try middlefield.

Posted July 25, 2007

This school is overrated. They may be more advanced in academics but it didn't differ much from the public school. If parents are involved in their child's study, the kid that goes to the public can easily catch up with what they taught in this private school. The public schools have some great and caring teachers in contrast to the 'rule' dominated teaching system. I like the extracurricular activities provided in the public school, it makes the child well-rounded unlike this school. Tuition in Challenger is high and no parent involvement needed. Not recommended. Not worth the money.

Posted April 6, 2007

The school teachers attitude are bad. They have no concern for the students but go through the routine every day. I do not recommend this school. Get out when you can...

Posted January 13, 2007

My son goes to Kindergarten and I am really amazed at how advance this school in academics. Extracurricular activities are on the low side though. You have to pay extra. and tuition fee is quite high. I'd say if you want a well rounded child, perhaps other schools can provide mroe. But if you want a brainy child, definitely pick this one.

Posted August 16, 2006

My son attended Challenger Sunnyvale for 9 years and did very well. He was lucky to have many exceptional teachers through the years. However, for the last two years of Middle School the teachers were less than stellar. It's a shame since the students have the same teachers for three years. The literature and writing teachers were outstanding. The many restrictions do not give the students the opportunity stray, yet also tend to limit their growth. Excellent phonics and math program in the younger grades. Can't help to excel!

• Mrs. Daisy Salazar