Sunnyvale, CA

Posted September 06, 2014
Teacher's yell at students and are unreasonably strict. I remember one of my classmates once used his hands to manually tear holes into a paper. The teacher got so mad she yelled at him and then showed the paper to another teacher to embarrass him. Another time, when I showed a story I had written to a teacher who happened to be in the class while the other teacher had some errands to run, the teacher got so mad that she made me stand in front of the class and yelled at me for 10 minutes, calling me "disgraceful." Apart from the irrational discipline, the classes were incredibly hard. Teachers were very stringent on how an assignment could be done (for example, after writing a heading on your paper, if you skipped two lines instead of one, you would get a zero). The school also only focuses on academics. No sports, no electives. For those parents who think that this terror-style education is the best way to ensure success in the future, think again. I only went here for two years (the rest was at a public school), hated it, and now study at UC Berkeley. Many of my Challenger classmates are either doing just as well as me (if not worse). Invest in a good public school.

Posted July 28, 2014
I'd give it 0 stars if I could. The teachers yell at students, thinking that's the only way to get students' respect. Instead of earning our respect, they try to force it out of us. Also, some teachers are bullies. For instance, they feel the need to embarrass the students they don't prefer, even insulting them. One teacher insulted me and made the whole class laugh at me just because I was different. The worst part is, she didn't even realize that what she did was wrong until somebody told her. Also, the principal is biased. When she wanted this student on student council, she MADE SURE she was on the council even though she got less votes, making up a new position for her! How ridiculous. There shouldn't even be a voting if she's going to do things like that. Also, the teachers and staff FORCE the students to buy the stuff the council is selling, otherwise we'd get some privileges taken away. I can't believe even after paying the expensive tuition, they're STILL trying to make more money since they spent all the tuition money on useless garbage. LITERALLY. They bought new trash cans and rocks. This place is a joke.

Challenger - Sunnyvale 2

Posted October 01, 2013
I used to go here when I was in PRESCHOOL, 10 years ago, and the teachers that I had seriously needed to learn how to treat children. To start off, I used to have these hiker boots that had shoelaces and they kept on untying, so I would always ask the teachers to help me tie them. They got mad and told me to buy slip on shoes, but I didn't so they made me take off my shoes everyday until I got a new pair that they didn't need to "help me" with. Also, I used to play dinosaurs with my friends during playtime and I accidentally cut myself once with it and went to one of my teachers and asked for a ban-aid while crying. She was apparently too "busy" stapling stuff (what a lame excuse) on the wall, so she told me to go to the other teacher since there were two teachers in the class. I went to her and she told me that the cut was nothing, so I went back to the other teacher. I ended up running back and forth to the two teachers for a band-aid like a million times until I threw a fit and screamed & got a time-out. "Sunnyvale" Challenger needs to work on hiring the RIGHT teachers. (I hope that the teachers that I had are fired now)

Posted May 26, 2013
I decided to write this review because I feel obligated to let other parents know what is happening in this school. This school will cripple your child physically, socially and emotionally. How? While Mrs. Obama is trying to fight child obesity in this county, if a child misbehaves, it is Challenger's policy to refuse the whole class PE and recess. We have laws requiring employers to provide breaks at work, but these children have no rights. There are no real PE class or PE teachers, or sports but they will give your child barely passing grade for PE based on some standards that only they know about. And if you think Challenger is strong academically - you are wrong. They are teaching memorization. All they do is use textbooks from higher grades and give more homework instead of making sure that children actually learn. But you know what you child will learn at this school for sure? The saying: "It is not what you know- it is who you know". No matter how good you child is, the awards and prizes in all competitions will go to children of Challenger teachers. The worst part is that the kids know what is happening. I am utterly disgusted by this institution.

Posted August 22, 2011
I only sent my kid to the Kindergarten program in summer to try it out. The teachers have attitude, are rude to kids and they do not treat the children well. I will not recommend this school at all

Challenger - Sunnyvale 5

Posted March 18, 2011
Hi, I am an eighth grader at Challenger Sunnyvale this year. I think Challenger gave me the best education I could possible receive and everyone is really disciplined and nice. I never encountered any sort of bullying or peer pressure in this school and the teachers take good responsibility. I highly recommend this school.

Posted November 09, 2010
My first suggestion is to avoid this school if you want the safety of your child. The school is overcrowded and has least amount of supervision during outdoor activities. All the emphasis is on Academics, there is no importance given to Social Skills. My kid got hurt twice within a couple of months, one of them being a serious injury, but the school management refused to improve their supervision practices. I heard great things about this school, I deeply regret sending my kid to this school. Please don't make the same mistake as me.

Challenger - Sunnyvale 4

Posted October 11, 2010
Challenger focuses mainly on academics, and only has a running field. You can get a $1000 scholarship too; however, you need a 3.9 GPA in all the terms and 97% and above in all sections of the ITBS.

Challenger - Sunnyvale 5

Posted April 28, 2010
Challenger empowers my daughter to be her best - the school has very high academic standards and provides the encouragement I would expect from every school.

Posted March 16, 2010