Sunnyvale, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted November 02, 2014
My kid started at K and loves it because learning at Helios is so joyful. She is thriving in this environment. Every student is tested so their levels in math, reading are assessed. Then students are placed according to ability. Each child has her own individual learning plan which is discussed with parents. The school handles asynchronous learning very well. Big emphasis on social emotional learning and the kids learn Chinese or Spanish, music, science, imagine lab, writing stories, story lab. Their teaching style is project based so language arts, reading, and writing are all based on the topic/project the class is learning. We love the school because my daughter learns at such high level and it doesn't feel very academic because there is no homework yet she learns and absorbs so much! What brought us to Helios is that Helios really understands how to educate gifted children. There is no arbitrary age cut off, no focus on IQ test which are not a good predictors of giftedness. Instead, Helios looks at the whole child including other dimensions and sensitivities of the child that give clues as to whether the child might need a different approach to education.

Posted October 16, 2013
Helios is truly a unique school where each child is nurtured, challenged and encouraged to discover his or her true potential. The teachers are dedicated professionals who love what they do, and it shows! Many schools claim to foster a "love of learning" but at Helios this absolutely holds true. Our son, who is in his second year at the school, is thriving. He loves the hands-on learning, is developing strong skills in math, reading and writing, and is happy to go to school every single day! The team who is leading the school includes terrific educators who value and welcome feedback and community involvement. The parents at the school are a wonderful group of people who are tremendously supportive of each other and the school. We are delighted that we found Helios for our son and I am sure the school will continue to grow from strength to strength.

Helios New School 2

Posted September 30, 2013
The facts: - no individualized education plan as talked about. Every kid does the same thing at the same time. The individual is not celebrated. -constructivist employs student centered learning but again there is no room for student suggestion, interpretation or creativity. It is almost as if the adults fear it. -no feedback at all. While I love that they don't use traditional grades, it is clear that my child has no idea if what they have done needs improvement, how to improve, etc. they are not learning at all, but going through the work. - learning position is valued above all else. The students will tell you that to be a good student at Helios you should not talk, sit in learning position and not ask too many questions. - teachers have been heard telling students they should just "shut your mouth" - they spend money on two curriculum developers for 35+ kids; in most schools this size the teachers would develop the curriculum. - point systems are rampant in some math groups, Chinese, and home rooms - 4 principals in 4 years In short, this school talks a good game but fails to deliver. There is neither rigor nor a love of children and learning.

Posted March 11, 2013
Helios implements best practices in gifted ed, including ability grouping and subject matter acceleration. A 5 year old kid at Helios with a passion for algebra can have his current working level identified and be presented with the next concept he is ready to understand in math, working alongside other kids who are at his level even though they are 5 years older than him. And he can also be taught handwriting at his working level, read age-appropriate subject matter at his out of grade level reading level and be around other kids who want to play the same sort of complicated games that he likes to play on the playground. Our daughter is in her 4th year at the school and she remains the same happy and well adjusted kid that she was when she started K. Helios teaches kids how to get along with others, work in teams, how to construct arguments, and stretch themselves outside of their comfort zone . I like its focus on "habits of learning" where the kids learn tools that will help them in the long haul, such as how to read a text critically, write an essay, break down a research project into smaller parts, formulate an argument, and see an issue from multiple perspectives.

Posted March 09, 2013
My son has been a student at Helios for just over a year so far and we could not be happier. The project based authentic curriculum is both rigorous and engaging, and integrates meaningful fieldwork (field trips) experiences with in-class content. Helios' small size means that everybody knows everybody--teachers outside of my son's class share anecdotes about him with me, and students play and work together across age groups and classrooms. Teachers are able to really get to know their students and their strengths and needs. This (combined with regular real time assessments) translates into flexibility and individualization so that each student's unique learning needs are met. Beyond the academics, my son is a part of an incredibly warm and caring community--from his classmates, to the teachers and administration, to the parents--the people at Helios go above and beyond to make sure it is a safe, fun and welcoming place. The bottom line is that my son loves going to school at Helios.

Helios New School 2

Posted February 28, 2013
The school unfortunately has limited classroom and play/recess area space. For this reason, it is difficult to offer variances in the curriculum to the children for the high tuition price (note only slightly less than Nueva). There are some wonderful teachers, and another who uses a whistle. There is a lot of sitting and being still required. The board is made up of parents and their children seem to receive the most careful attention to the promised individualized education. Regarding the Chinese program, it works for some and not others. It's not taught in the most interesting way, but our kid tolerates it. What we don't like is hearing our child report that another kid gets stomach pains before Mandarin class. So it seems like others have really struggled without attention to their concerns. One standout is the parent community which is very involved and full of wonderful people.

Posted January 17, 2013
We visited 10 schools before choosing Helios for our kids. Although may of the schools we visited claimed to differentiate their curriculum based on kids' abilities, Helios was the only one we found that could demonstrate that they actually DO it. We have been here 3 years now and have found that our children are continually assessed to ensure that the work they are doing is at the right level for each of them--challenging enough to be stimulating, not discouraging. Reading and math groups' average size is 3-5 children, grouped by ability level, not age, so material can be very closely tailored to kids' abilities. Each year, both my children have had the opportunity to move into a group offering more challenge, once they'd mastered the content at their starting level. Helios is also the only school we found that offered truly experiential education, with an interdisciplinary curriculum that enables kids to learn through meaningful, real-world projects. My gifted children are thriving at this school and I'm grateful to the school leadership for creating such a terrific learning environment.

Helios New School 4

Posted October 22, 2012
One cannot discount the value of the amazing teachers at this school. They are invested, dedicated, kind, creative and challenging all while keeping my daughter emotionally safe. We had struggled previously to find a school to meet her academic needs and support her love for learning. Helios has met that challenge a thousand times over. They took a child who hated to write because she struggles with spelling and has her now thinking about being an author. She adores writing now. Her first love is math and the teachers have been great in finding her a good group and supporting her personal achievement goals. They provide additional materials for her at her asking. Additionally, the community is amazing and supportive. This is a growing place that truly gets gifted kids. I wouldn't send my kid to any other school in the Bay Area. My only criticism is that the Chinese program is mandatory and does not fit the rest of the school constructivist learning style. I hope they will rethink this in future years.

Posted October 11, 2012
Helios is meeting the needs of gifted children with truly experiential education. This is our 3rd year at Helios, and our son is loving it. The teachers are talented, dedicated and really get the kids. Helios hits the perfect balance with its thematic approach and engaging, real-world projects on the one hand and continual skills assessment on the other. The community is extraordinary.

Posted October 11, 2012
Helios is a very special place. I often think every child should have this experience, but certainly for my gifted child there really is no better fit. My 7yo has thrived since we joined the Helios community last Spring. When we discovered our son was gifted and that we should consider a gifted learning environment we checked out all three Peninsula options. What had us select Helios was both our sons immediate attachment to the staff and students but also our belief in Anne Beneventi, Head of School. Going through the admissions process at Helios gave us incredible information about our son's learning needs. Anne is incredibly knowledgeable and is such a wonderful resource to the gifted community. I feel so thankful to have Anne and the incredibly dedicated staff at Helios be part of my son's education. Every decision made is so thoughtful and genuine to the needs of the students. The curriculum put in place not only meets California standards but compliments the needs of gifted learners to allow project based learning to take them deeper. My son runs to his classroom in the morning and does not want to come home at the end of the day.

Helios New School