Cupertino Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted May 3, 2014

Academic "Lord of the Flies" - School is highly focused on keeping their API test scores high at all costs which overrides all aspect of a balanced education. Our daughter needed some help in one subject and was shuffled into special ed where she watched videos in math class instead of learning. We had to have outside tutoring in order for her to get any math education at all. Our daughter was also bullied terribly and the focus was always on her, she/we reported in over and over - the other students just made up a wild story and the admin bought it over and over again (zero action taken in maybe a dozen incidents). Finally, when we pushed back and asked to meet with the district, they made clear at any time they could take actions against our child (us) with outside agencies for the most minor event.. They made good on their threats (cant list here) and we had to pull our daughter out asap. It could be a great school for some kids but if you need to be actively involved in protecting your child and raise the principal's ire (involve the district) things get seriously scary very quickly. Honestly, I could never have imagined this could happen in Cupertino.

Posted September 23, 2013

Cupertino might not be the best of the best academically, but still this school is outstanding in certain areas, mostly math. In general, the cupertino union school district is probably the best district in California. the top elementary and middle schools already take 2-3 spots in the top 5 schools. one thing i can guarantee is that Cupertino has an amazing sports and activities afterschool. They dominate in sports especially cross country. I REALLY recommend this school if you want good, not just proficient but advanced academic scores, and especially great sports and activities. The mathcounts team here at Cupertino is very strong and has beat out high schools before. Academics isn't everything, you need a balanced school and that's exactly what Cupertino middle is. I 100% guarantee that you will be very impressed with how good the extra sports and extra academics are.

Posted August 15, 2013

This school is super bad the kids are bad and my kid hate this school. The worst part is they don't have a proper cafeteria. If you are a parent and you are reading this, do not put your child in this school and you have to pay for everything.

Posted June 19, 2013

I graduated in 2009. I don't know how the school is now, but back then it was great. Some teachers were awesome, some weren't, but the majority of them were good. Academically, very nice, but socially? Boy I hated it. The cliques were strong and I was bullied. The office WILL crack down on bullies if you report them, so please do. When a teacher thought I was getting harassed by some kids, she had the office call me over. That's what really made CMS stand out: the staff's willingness to help you. I had a few mental breakdowns during the year and I always got the help I needed from counselors and teachers. If it wasn't for how rude some students were, CMS would get 5 stars.

Posted April 30, 2013

Cupertino schools are only as great as your child can learn on their own, get tutoring from outside source, or parents tutor their kids. If you think that coming to this school will make your kids smart or advance him in anyway, then I think you are not on the right path. Your child (ren) want to learn and want to advance is the real secret to doing well in schools. I hear it all too often that some teachers like only the well behave kids and the kids that do not have learning disabilities. The ones that do need help aren't getting the help they need. It is sad.

Posted December 12, 2011

cup is a great school! if you are advanced and can get into the AP classes u are set!!!!!!!!!! the sports program is also great!!!!

Posted August 15, 2011

I was a student at Cupertino Middle School the last three years, and I thought that there were some pretty great teachers there. However that the administration did not do a very good job at all; very little was communicated to the students, staff, or parents. Also, it seemed that the counselors' main job for the entire time i was there was to walk around at brunch and lunch to make sure kids didn't listen to their iPods. The group of students was great though. Overall, great school, not so great administration.

Posted May 18, 2011

i was a student here at this school, looking back at the years in Cup, I had a lot of nice teacher and fun times, though at the time i thought it sucked. but comparing to all the messed up teachers at homestead high, CMS was heaven :D

Posted February 8, 2010

I am a student at this school, and I get the feeling my teacher hates me. He would also ignore my questions. I'm not sure if they are on purpose. Without asking questions, i can't learn. Once in a while, i get insults. My mom also is s kind of mom that likes helping and participating but she would always be disappointed because there aren't many activities to part in.

Posted June 4, 2009

If you want band you can get it unless you're not in sixth grade wanting to be in C band. If you feel you deserve to be in band, you can talk to the offce and they will put you in. My friend did that. Band is a very popular elective that you have to work hard for. You have to practice five times a week. The talent show was announced in the morning announcements for the whole week. Cupertino is a great school. We may not be the best academically, but we have greeat sports and arts programs.

Posted November 3, 2008

In contrast to the school reviews, I like this school. Nothing in boring, and the HDTV's do get put to use in my classroom;).

Posted August 19, 2008

I went to this school for my 6th and 7th grade years and loved it. I had the BEST teachers ever who taught us so that we understood. And the kids at this school are very nice and help each other out a lot. this year I am going to Lawson and I personally prefer CUP than Lawson. GO CUP BEARS! Sad to leave this school.....

Posted July 18, 2008

This is a very well run factory. I met lots of efficient teachers at back to school night, they know their subject but not one suggested to me they had a clue who my kid was. There is no drama program offered. The band program cannot serve everyone who wants it, which is also unacceptable, they have a lottery for who can join. The administration's attitude toward any bump in the road is to ignore it. If 400 kids want band and there's only room for 200, then that's how it is, they would certainly not hire another band teacher like Miller did, or hire a teacher willing to offer drama (which is at Kennedy, Miller, and Lawson). The counselors have to deal with so many kids that they are utterly useless, they don't return phone calls and use email but don't ever actually answer your questions. I agree with another reviewer, communication is extremely poor. The talent show was moved way up and 90% of the kids had no idea, my kid would have tried out but they never announced when auditions were being held. Most of the teachers my kid had were quite good despite these institutional problems. But cram too many kids into a school and you shouldn't be surprised you get problems like these.

Posted July 18, 2008

I'm a student in CMS its my first year in cms.Its a great school!!! They have a lot fund-raisers. But we don't get to use the mac lab enough but it is a wonderful school. I had a great year!!! CMS is a great school!!! PS (i miss cms a lot!!!!)

Posted June 4, 2008

CMS used to be a great school back when we had a strong Principal who held students accountable for their actions. The last couple of years CMS has changed and not in a good way. I personally believe that grade inflation exists here. My child has had straight A's in past years with very little effort and has virtually no homework. Elementary school demanded more of my child s effort. There are thefts, bullying occurs, and this administration does nothing. If you report an incidence or concern, good luck getting a call back or corrective action in place. Oh yes but let's not publicize that because our home values may go down.

Posted June 3, 2008

Good school. I've had better, but I have had some of the best and absolutely worst teachers from preschool to 8th grade. Your kid has to be confident in his or her self to thrive socially, and put alot of effort into his or her academics to do well. Competitive students do well in this school, but if your kid doesn't challenge themselves, they are doomed.

Posted June 1, 2008

All the wonderful things that were going on last year in support of the Distinguished School application seemed to fall by the wayside once the award was received. Teachers and administration make minimal use of the school website, which contributes to appallingly poor communication. There was no parent survey this year, so there was no way to give feedback. The 'no weekend homework' policy is not being honored this year. My biggest pet peeve--assigning group projects and requiring students to teach each other content on which they are then tested. Isn't that the teacher's job? This is happening across grades and subjects. My daughter has a student-assigned homework sheet (it's the weekend) that she has to research using the Internet because the group that 'taught' the content didn't cover the material adequately in their presentation. I'm thoroughly disgusted and glad to be out of this school district next year.

Posted April 26, 2008

To me, CMS is a wonderful school. The teachers really interact with the students, and the whole class becomes like a huge extended family. To adress something another previous reviewer said about the courses not being challenging, I think it's just a matter of personal opinion. For instance, in Math, there are severel courses with some more challenging and fast-paced, and others slower and less challenging. For example, in sixth grade, there is Math6, which most average people are in, and then PreAlgebraA, which is for the kids who like to be challenged and go faster. It is similar in the upper grades. Although I do admit that a lot of projects in Core(Language Arts and Reading) are given out in parts, but not all. Another thing I like about CMS is the fact that we have seven periods, and thus in eighth grade we can have two electives. CMS=GREAT!

Posted March 24, 2008

I love this school. It has the best teachers that know how to get along with teenagers and still teach. Most of the teachers here know how to connect with the teenage mind which makes them want to come to school every morning. So far, I have never woken up one morning and dreaded going to school. This school has excellent Sports Teams. Go CUP BEARS!!! It also has the best electives for seventh and eigth graders. The teachers are all encouraging, the school itself is very safe, and i just love everything about this school...except for one small thing...the dress code is wayy to strict. my friends and i have had to change into PE clothes many times because either our skirts/shorts were too short or the straps of our shirts werent EXACTLY one inch. but other then that, I LOVE CMS!!! GO CUP BEARS!!!!

Posted February 27, 2008

I came from a really bad school where i was bullied. I arrived at cup for seventh grade but was held back. At first i was really depressed , it turns out i was at a second grade math level.The teacher's there were so encouraging and helped me beyond belief. I know if i hadnt gone to cupertino and had there support I wouldnt be the A student i am today. I love this school!

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

428 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

431 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

261 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

380 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students88%

Parent education - high school graduate67%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)61%
Parent education - college graduate83%
Parent education - declined to state82%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students16%
Students with no reported disability28%
Fluent-English proficient and English only17%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)0%
Parent education - college graduate25%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a

Geometry

• Kara Butler
Fax number
  • (408) 732-4152

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • None

School culture

• Parents duplicate instructional materials for teachers, work in our library media center, support the music program (accompanying students to off-campus performances and fund raising for our music program, driving students to performances), and chaperone school dances

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Stocklmeir Elementary
Montclaire Elementary
Nimitz Elementary

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Homestead High School