Sunnyvale, CA
Students enrolled: 1,293

Cupertino Middle School 4

Posted October 29, 2014
For the past two school years the campus has been undergoing major expansion. Often the staff seems overwhelmed and tends to manage in a way that in effect "warehouses" students. This said, the teachers are highly qualified. The students generally come from very good homes. Most of the parents are hard working, professional, management...college background. One concern I raised last year was the fact that there are no showers for athletes and PE students. Other schools--such as Peterson Middle and Sunnyvale Middle--have pools and showers on their locker rooms. This is a key way that kids at this age learn about hygiene. This is a problem at CMS. Academically, it's a good school.

Cupertino Middle School 1

Posted May 03, 2014
Academic "Lord of the Flies" - School is highly focused on keeping their API test scores high at all costs which overrides all aspect of a balanced education. Our daughter needed some help in one subject and was shuffled into special ed where she watched videos in math class instead of learning. We had to have outside tutoring in order for her to get any math education at all. Our daughter was also bullied terribly and the focus was always on her, she/we reported in over and over - the other students just made up a wild story and the admin bought it over and over again (zero action taken in maybe a dozen incidents). Finally, when we pushed back and asked to meet with the district, they made clear at any time they could take actions against our child (us) with outside agencies for the most minor event.. They made good on their threats (cant list here) and we had to pull our daughter out asap. It could be a great school for some kids but if you need to be actively involved in protecting your child and raise the principal's ire (involve the district) things get seriously scary very quickly. Honestly, I could never have imagined this could happen in Cupertino.

Posted September 23, 2013
Cupertino might not be the best of the best academically, but still this school is outstanding in certain areas, mostly math. In general, the cupertino union school district is probably the best district in California. the top elementary and middle schools already take 2-3 spots in the top 5 schools. one thing i can guarantee is that Cupertino has an amazing sports and activities afterschool. They dominate in sports especially cross country. I REALLY recommend this school if you want good, not just proficient but advanced academic scores, and especially great sports and activities. The mathcounts team here at Cupertino is very strong and has beat out high schools before. Academics isn't everything, you need a balanced school and that's exactly what Cupertino middle is. I 100% guarantee that you will be very impressed with how good the extra sports and extra academics are.

Cupertino Middle School 1

Posted August 15, 2013
This school is super bad the kids are bad and my kid hate this school. The worst part is they don't have a proper cafeteria. If you are a parent and you are reading this, do not put your child in this school and you have to pay for everything.

Cupertino Middle School 4

Posted June 19, 2013
I graduated in 2009. I don't know how the school is now, but back then it was great. Some teachers were awesome, some weren't, but the majority of them were good. Academically, very nice, but socially? Boy I hated it. The cliques were strong and I was bullied. The office WILL crack down on bullies if you report them, so please do. When a teacher thought I was getting harassed by some kids, she had the office call me over. That's what really made CMS stand out: the staff's willingness to help you. I had a few mental breakdowns during the year and I always got the help I needed from counselors and teachers. If it wasn't for how rude some students were, CMS would get 5 stars.

Cupertino Middle School 3

Posted April 30, 2013
Cupertino schools are only as great as your child can learn on their own, get tutoring from outside source, or parents tutor their kids. If you think that coming to this school will make your kids smart or advance him in anyway, then I think you are not on the right path. Your child (ren) want to learn and want to advance is the real secret to doing well in schools. I hear it all too often that some teachers like only the well behave kids and the kids that do not have learning disabilities. The ones that do need help aren't getting the help they need. It is sad.

Posted December 12, 2011
cup is a great school! if you are advanced and can get into the AP classes u are set!!!!!!!!!! the sports program is also great!!!!

Cupertino Middle School 3

Posted August 15, 2011
I was a student at Cupertino Middle School the last three years, and I thought that there were some pretty great teachers there. However that the administration did not do a very good job at all; very little was communicated to the students, staff, or parents. Also, it seemed that the counselors' main job for the entire time i was there was to walk around at brunch and lunch to make sure kids didn't listen to their iPods. The group of students was great though. Overall, great school, not so great administration.

Posted May 18, 2011
i was a student here at this school, looking back at the years in Cup, I had a lot of nice teacher and fun times, though at the time i thought it sucked. but comparing to all the messed up teachers at homestead high, CMS was heaven :D

Cupertino Middle School 2

Posted February 08, 2010
I am a student at this school, and I get the feeling my teacher hates me. He would also ignore my questions. I'm not sure if they are on purpose. Without asking questions, i can't learn. Once in a while, i get insults. My mom also is s kind of mom that likes helping and participating but she would always be disappointed because there aren't many activities to part in.

Cupertino Middle School
1650 South Bernardo Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA  94087
Last modified Cupertino Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cupertino Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top