Sunnyvale, CA
Students enrolled: 1,052

Sunnyvale Middle School 2

Posted May 11, 2015
My first impression of this school is that it looked like a dump, and that opinion has not changed much throughout the year. It's as if nobody bothers to wash the classroom windows, as there are usually disgusting, oily stains on them. The staff does not promote a safe, healthy learning environment for its students, and I have witnessed students being bullied by the same teachers who teach them that bullying is bad. Talk about hypocrisy! In addition, the principal does little to assist in such bullying issues. The teachers abuse their power. It was discovered that several students used swear words on their private, personal social media accounts, and how the staff found evidence of this, I would like to know. Once this was discovered, one of the teachers compared this to a war, saying if the students wanted to start a war with the faculty, they were free to, but he then said "I'm pretty sure we'll win." It gave the impression of the staff as an oppressive government rather than actual teachers, in my opinion. I will be glad to graduate and leave this place.

Sunnyvale Middle School 4

Posted April 29, 2015
My daughter is about to graduate from grade eight and has been at SMS for two years now. It's a great environment and the kids are all pretty good to one another. The teachers are fair, but the English teacher Ms. Knight is incredible. My daughter was in Ms. Knights class two years in a row and during that time she developed a love for reading and writing like I had never seen before. The students do well here, I think, because they come from motivated families. But even that seems like it would be a good thing to look for in a school. I would recommend SMS.

Posted December 11, 2014
I love this school SO much. I have never been bullied at this school, because the majority of the children there are really nice. It's great for being social, as I have met so many amazing people here. Plus, the teachers are WONDERFUL, my favorite for 6th grade being Ms. Leonard and Mr. Martinez, as they were the best teachers any middle schooler could ask for! Not just that, they also have extra events, like electives (you get a choice in 6th grade between art, music, wood shop or computers), and they also have Renaissance, where if you get good grades, you get to go to a party! Overall, this school is amazing, and if you had a choice between all the other schools and this one, I would definitely pick Sunnyvale Middle School! :D

Posted April 25, 2012
Now, the assisant principal and teacher are very helpful and supportive of my son's bullying case and grades. This is what all parents want to feel and hear. Thanks! Now my son feels even better and greater going to school! Every student should have a learning attitude when going to school. The school have a Pinnacle Internet Viewer (PIV ) feature, please parents!, use it!! I need to thanks the assisant principal for reminding me about the PIV!!! In the future, my daughter will be attending this great school, too!!

Posted March 03, 2012
Sunnyvale Middle School is a great school with an environment that allows for children to grow and learn.

Posted April 01, 2011
Point of clarification: PTSA and administration have absolutely nothing to do with a new cell phone tower and have no say in the matter. The cell phone tower is a city issue. Parent volunteerism is higher, and Parent Education Nights have been featured in the Mercury News and the Sunnyvale Sun. Generous donations from the PTSA and Direct Appeal has restored a computer lab for the students, and the Spartan Spirit program has resulted in a very positive school atmosphere and school spirit. API has remained over 800, which is fabulous. Anyone not happy with the school should get involved. It's a great place!

Sunnyvale Middle School 1

Posted January 05, 2011
My child is in 8th grade and he tells me the school has gone down hill since the new principal took over. The principal does nothing except push paper and tries to get money. All the PTSA does is tries to come up with more after school activities. As if money and activities create a good learning environment and make a good school. Ever heard of quality instead of quantity? The after school activities are subpar! Now the principal and PTSA are trying to get a cell tower built on campus so they'll get over $20K per year. Talk about greed. Lets throw money at things. Kids aren't performing well because of budget cut? Hello. Kids aren't performing well because the school does not take action on issues such as bullying and the teaching is boring! My child told me he will be very glad to leave this school at the end of the year.

Sunnyvale Middle School 3

Posted August 01, 2010
I was a student at SMS for three years, and to tell you the truth, I'm not that impressed. There are teachers ranging from incredible to downright horrible. There are a few teachers who love being there and helping students achieve, and genuinely connect with the kids. The electives don't offer very much, and the music program needs a serious readjustment. The math program at this school is just dreadful. Every math teacher I had did not teach well at all, and even though I am a straight-A student, I did not learn from them at all. Most teachers had very little control over the classes with the , ahem, lower-achieving students. The atmosphere was very distracting at times , and made it very hard to work. The leadership is mediocre at best, and the principal's don't really make an effort to get to know the kids or get involved.

Posted May 04, 2010
I love it because the teachers are very nice and they help you with anything you need help on.

Sunnyvale Middle School

Posted April 28, 2010
This school is awesome it has awesome electives and has lots of fun things come join this school for your child to have fun with good other students!!!!!!!!!

Sunnyvale Middle School
1080 Mango Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA  94087
Last modified Sunnyvale Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunnyvale Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top