No rating

Van Avery Prep

Private | K-8 | 446 students

Student diversity

Living in Temecula

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $271,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,610.

Posted April 23, 2014

Unfortunately my wife and I were very displeased with this school. When we relocated we heard many positive reviews from some coworkers, but wish that we had done more research on our own before enrolling our daughter. This is a for profit school. They are in business to make money, not educate your child. No concern is listened to unless you are part of the inner circle. Do the research before making a decision.

Posted January 23, 2014

This school is great. I've had my children in VAP for 3 years now and have not had a problem. The parents are very involved with the school programs from boy scouts to girl scouts as well as other programs. One of my children has a learning disability and the school has been very accommodating with the tutor program (from outside VAP) that my child attends to enrich the VAP teaching. interaction. I think that being a part of the "in crowd" is just due to the amount of involvement you want to put into you child's school and education. We get involved and have a great time with our kids there.

Posted October 19, 2013

My child has attended van Avery for two years now and we both are extremely pleased and happy. The teachers are excellent. My child has blossomed in so many areas. The clubs are fantastic. Worth every penny. We have had a awesome experience at this school.

Posted April 26, 2013

Love, Love, Love this school!!! Highly Recommend. We transferred from another school private school (that shall not be named) down the street and what an amazing difference and improvement.

Posted September 21, 2012

My child attended Van Avery Prep for six years, and like many of the other parents I found that unless you are related to the owners, are children of the teachers (or your child is a friend of a teacher's child) you will not receive fair treatment. The principal is not willing to help parents who are not in the "in crowd" even when the child is not at fault. I liked the structure and academics, but the homework was ridiculous and unnecessary. The same "in" students always won art contests, got the best part in plays, and were on the best sports teams--not suprisingly, the teachers' children were always in this group. This is a money oriented school. We had a few outstanding teachers, but we also had some who never should have been in a classroom--I suppose that is the same anywhere. Bottom line is administration does not care about the students unless there is some relationship there.

Posted August 21, 2012

Hello parents!!! Just read the reviews of so many parents saying - BAD Principal... incompetent and rude teachers.... all about MONEY... do not want parent involvment.... no free clubs as advertised... expensive summer program... unorganized staff.. etc..etc.. Would you wanna sen your child to this school??? NO!!!

Posted June 1, 2012

Well-written review by that last parent. Except that the word "their" is misspelled (thier),the word school is misspelled (sco), and the words every day should be written as two words in this context, as in "each day" (not 'everyday'). Yes, I am certainly going to trust the judgement of a parent who can't spell or use even bother to use spellcheck. Not.

Posted May 16, 2012

I've had my children at two public schools before putting them in VAP. My 5th grader is diagnosed with a learning disability and this is the first scho that has made a difference in his learning! The former teacher who commented below couldn't be more wrong! I am not part of the in crowd at VAP and I do not see what they are talking about whatsoever! My kids have excelled here at VAP and my husband and I will continue thier education here. The teachers are caring and go above and beyond for the children. It's a safe and nurturing environment. My kids ate excited to get up and go to school everyday. My son with the learning disability is doing so well that he no longer needs private tutoring. I highly recommend Van Avery Prep!

Posted May 9, 2012

As a former VAP teacher, I can tell you that the negative comments are absolutely true. The positive comments come from the well-to-do crowd that think they have an "in" with administration. Eventually, the truth comes out and those bridges get destroyed, not just burned. It was tough trying to fit in as a caring teacher there, but did so out of necessity to work. Once an opportunity arose to leave, I was out of there. Many (most?) teachers are not fully credentialed and lack the resources public teachers acquire during credentialing and other staff development courses. I heard many complaints from parents regarding the admin staff and could not really find arguments for their complaints. There is little or no attention given to special needs children. Those that aren't perfect get left behind. Socially, students are far behind those of public school children when they do graduate to public high school. All in all, public school is still the best place for any child to be. Leave your child's education to the professionals.

Posted January 11, 2012

My three children currently attend Van Avery. They have been in three different school systems. Van Avery is the best. When we moved to California, we were very disenchanted by the local public schools. In fact, in our highly rated local public school, my children were not challenged at all. Van Avery has been very different. Not only have they been challenged academically, they have had more exposure to art and music than they had while in the public schools. The clubs that they offer after school are excellent as well. One of their favorites is a robotics club called Gears2Robots. I had no idea that children could have such an exposure to robotics. One of my sons became so involved that he went as part of a team to Legoland for a robotics tournament. Van Avery also has "Homework Club" after school. The students spend time after school in this club to work on their homework. During this time, the students have access to their teachers to ask them questions. Needless to say, I have been very pleased with the experience that my children are getting while attending Van Avery.

Posted May 3, 2011

Van Avery sets the benchmark, by which all schools could be measured. The environment is incredible; academics are outstanding! We moved, because of military service. One of our greatest regrets is not having our daughter at Van Avery anymore. This school is an incredible investment in your child's future. It comes with our highest recommendation. If there is space for your child and he/she is accepted, register him/her without hesitation!

Posted December 15, 2010

So far so good. We have our daughter in Kids World and our son in VAP second grade. We are impressed with the structure of the school and the teaching as well. My son is learning things in second grade that I and his older cousins learned in third. Our daughter is being very well taken care of and learning a lot to prep for VAP. The school is a for profit scool, but they put that money where it should be,,, in the class rooms and the facility. The private non-profit school next door that we surveyed was a mess in some of the class room plus an unpleasant order was in there as well. We will definitely stay with VAP and look forward to our daughter attending VAP next school year.

Posted July 30, 2010

My son had attended Kids World since he was two and like most parents we went directly into Van Avery without researching any other private school first. When we decided to relocate the faculty were extremely difficult to deal with and would not send out the proper documentation for my son to be considered by other private schools in the new town. This we now know was because Van Avery is not accredited, not really. They can not receive accredidation because they are a for profit learning facility. Their accredidation has no board of directors or charter to improve its academic structure from year to year. If you plan on relocating and changing to an accredited, not-for-profit private school you will have a problem. Parents are not allowed in the classroom to view teachings or to volunteer. The teachers are sufficient but their curriculum is dated.

Posted April 27, 2010

Of my 4 children, 3 attended Van Avery one did not. There is not a day that goes by that I don't kick myself for not making my oldest attend VAP middle school. It is a wonderful environment. I wish they went thru 12th grade!

Posted April 16, 2010

We moved our 6th grader out of Temecula Public Middle school where he was receiving a basic education with nonexistent extracurricular activities. We are thrilled with Van Avery Prep. VAP has a superior level of education. With small class sizes and more days in school the teachers are able to give hands on, in depth instruction and really connect with the children personally & academically. The academic activities like Science Olympiad, We the People, Debate team, writing competitions, etc are fabulous -VAP students are constantly winning awards! The sports program is also ecxellent, offering basketball, soccer, volleyball, golf, football, etc. Not to mention year round art & spanish; drama & music; field trips & honor society... VAP has it all in a safe, fun-loving, yet disciplined environment. If you are looking for a magical middle experience with high quality education come to Van Avery Prep-you'll love it! Mr. & Mrs. Palm

Posted March 3, 2010

The school has a good learning environment but the teachers are sometime ridiculous. They think we don't have a life out of school and are constantly assigning essays, projects and homework over the weekends. They expect too much from the kids and most of the teachers do play favorites. The sports department is good and coaches are competitive. The drama department, or more like a lack of one is disastrous with the new drama teacher. Some teachers actually get involved with students but they expect everyone to be an A+ student which is not the case most of the time. Most of the staff only cares about making the school look good and when possible attendees come to visit, a fake show of education is put on. I believe that it can be a good school once more and I also believe my time spent there has not gone to waste.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 3, 2010

My daughter went to Kidsworld preschool since she was 2yrs old and now in firstgrade and VAn Avery. My daughter love every day and every moments that she gets to spend at this school with her fantastic teacher and friends. we love it, and highly recommend.

Posted September 29, 2009

OUTSTANDING, in every respect! If there is space for your child(ren) at Van Avery, register--and relax!

Posted September 24, 2009

My children attended this school for 3 years. It has it's pros and cons. One of the things I liked is the fostering of homework, responsibility for oneself educationally and academically. The fine arts program and clubs. Some of the teachers are great and some are prone to bullying your child without administration intervention on behalf of the parent. The elementary principal is extremely rude and condescending(except if you are extremely wealthy). The nice teachers don't last long in this environment. Very clique-ish amongst staff. The fact that it is a family owned and operated business makes it stale and uniform in operations. Not open to futuristic advancement( spanish not taught thoroughly or routinely as offered, not enough computers in classrooms at elementary level).

Posted September 16, 2009

Van Avery Prep is an awesome school with fabulous teachers, administrators, and curriculum!! It truly puts students first!

• Miss Tina Naber