No rating

St. Luke Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 160 students

We are best known for offering high academics in a faith-filled setting.

Living in Temple City

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $510,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,600.

Posted Saturday, August 16, 2014

I thought that was the job of a school principal...to actually run the school? After all, the principal is the one with the education and experience to do just that! I applaud any principal that does not cave into parental pressure.

Posted August 3, 2014

Great faith lead education. Academics could be more challenging. It is the principals way or the highway.

Posted April 12, 2014

As an alum, I have seen St. LuKe making great strides this year. In addition to the great education the children receive, the spirit of the school is better than it has been for years. The School I very much a part of the Parish And civic communities. Students and parents are happy. Students are welcoming, polite, well-spoken, and genuinely happy to be there. It is an uplifting experience for anyone whe comes to the school.

Posted April 7, 2014

St. Luke Catholic School provides a well-rounded Catholic education. The strong academic curriculum and the plethora of extra-curricular activities enhance the family atmosphere and Christian community. We are one of the only schools in the Los Angeles Archdiocese to offer Robotics. Our Robotics students learn how to design, build, program, and drive robots. Our Graphic Design students take pictures, edit, and ultimately create our school yearbook. No matter what area your student excels in, St. Luke Catholic School has something to meet the needs of all of our students. Go Lions!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 3, 2014

As graduate of the school and still a member of the parish, I am sorry that the person in the previous e-mail is so upset with the school. From my vantage, the school has improved so much this year. The students, teachers and administration are present to the parish and are wonderful. The parish is aware of all the good things that the school is doing with and for their students. The students are articulate, faith filled, safe, and happy. What more could parents want for their children?

Posted October 18, 2013

I highly recommend this school for any parents who want to invest in their children's faith and strong catholic foundation. I have two children attending this school and I am very happy with the overall school performances.

Posted September 26, 2013

We chose this school for our children for the commitment that the staff and parish has made to the children. It is a faith led school, where the children do come first. Respect and kindness are not just words, but actions. My children are very comfortable in their school environment and are happy. The academics are challenging and my children are learning to be critical thinkers. I know we made a great choice in choosing to send our children to Saint Luke Catholic School.

Posted July 26, 2013

St. Luke has been a positive presence in our parish since 1947. It is sad that one person who wishes to slander one of the new administrators chooses to do so with partial truths and angry words. As a graduate, parishioner and former parent of the school, I look at our school as the hope for the future of the parish and a blessing for our neighborhood and beyond. Graduates of St. Luke Catholic School are not only educated individuals but young articulate men and women with poise and grace and faith. The pastor is an educator, who values the school in his parish. Teachers come and go, but the basic core of educators who are still at St. Luke are strong, faithful teachers who value their role in education young Catholics for the future.

Posted February 1, 2013

St. Luke School has been overall an awesome school. The staff is very welcoming and my child loves this school. The staff is academic driven and understands the needs of families. We moved from another private school to Join St. Luke and have been pleased with the results. If you are looking for a school for your child or children this is the place! I know you would be happy. =)!

Posted January 31, 2013

As a graduate of Catholic schools, I feel I am particularly fussy when it comes education--especially Catholic education--of my children. My child is blossoming at St. Luke. The community is amazing; they are very loving and supportive. As one parent reviewed, while things are not perfect, we find that the school is a perfect fit for my child and his parents' fussiness.

Posted January 31, 2013

As a child I went to public school in a very well respected school district and while the academics were good there was a lack in the opportunity to develop spiritually and form a more well rounded foundation. I know as soon as I had children that I wanted to have them attend a private parish school. I have 2 children who currently attend St. Luke. We've been with the school now for 3 years and our family can't be happier. The quality of education is top notch, the campus is beautiful and secure, the teachers and adminstrative staff are kind, caring and fair. The sports programs and other extra curricular activities as amazing for a smaller school. We love the classes sizes, not too large so that the children get the indvidualized attention to help them reach and go beyond their potential. All of the children who attend the school are taught to love and care for one another. To watch how the junior high school students love and attend to the lower grades is amazing and the little ones beam with pride when they see their friends from the upper grades. The sense of community you get from the parents, teachers, student and parish staff is unsurpassed.

Posted January 29, 2013

St. Luke School is family oriented and has a well rounded and competitive academic program. My 21 year old graduated from this school in 2005 and graduated from college this past December 2012. She was very young when she entered college but she adjusted very well. She handled the college level classes without any problems. I think her success came from having a good foundation at St. Luke school. Being in a family oriented environment and surrounded with excellent teachers helped her adjust socially and academically. My two young children are currently attending the school and they are having fun, learning and socializing with their classmates. Catholic education at St Luke school really is an education for life.

Posted January 29, 2013

I have three children attending this school and I would not have it any other way. I feel safe leaving my children at school knowing that I'm leaving them with teachers and administrators that truly care for the kids. The teachers have been there a while and are very professional. They teach them to be caring human beings that live by Jesus' teachings. Life at St Luke school cannot be compared to other schools. I love the way the school teaches the children to be caring with one another and to watch fir one another. The junior high kids are very loving towards the little ones and the little ones love the attention. We truly are blessed to have a great principal and a great staff, a beautiful and clean campus, and a very loving St Luke School family because that is what we are, a FAMILY.

Posted January 26, 2013

Hi Yo. Our son has been attending this school since Kindergarten. He is in 2nd Grade this year. The teachers have great personality. Our second grade teacher teaches children very good in Academy and morality.The staffs are caring. Principle works well in all situations and willing to help the children. The participated parents are kind and cooperative. This school is the greatest in this territory. The students will be successful in the future.

Posted January 23, 2013

My son started the newly formed TK class this year and both him and I love it. Teachers are loving, caring and I really feel like part of a team working as one to not only teach him his A,B,C but also how to be a caring human being. The principal is also one of the most understanding people who really will work with whatever your situation is so your child could get a catholic education. Could not ask for a more well rounded school for my child.

Posted January 21, 2013

St.Luke is a great school with an excellent faculty and staff. The academics are solid and almost every teacher has been teaching over 10 years.

Posted January 17, 2013

Our son is in the second grade and he enjoys going to school every day. The teachers and staff always place our children first. The support of the other families is great. We are so happy we choose St. Luke and feel very blessed.

Posted January 16, 2013

St. Luke School is a wonderful school offering classes from transitional Kindergarten (pre-K) through 8th grade. This span connects older classes through a buddy system to the younger classes allowing the students to live what they are learning. Student involvement strengthens the connection to the community as a whole, caring for each other & their school. Entrusting children to St. Luke is a choice made knowing our children will be afforded the values we advocate including their religious, academic & social development. Family involvement in school & Church activities shows our children that we are part of a whole. Academics are strong & can be attributed to the dedication of the teachers & our family s commitment to maintain homework, reading and extracurricular learning a priority. The school also offers extra-curricular activities including but not limited to: Robotics, Speech & Debate, Academic Decathlon, Graphics Design, Choir, Scouts, Spirit/Cheer, & Sports. The education of our children is a team effort where the children, faculty, leadership & parents continually work together ensure our school addresses concerns & offers new & exciting opportunities.

Posted May 20, 2012

St. Luke let's kids stay kids because the principal and faculty foster a safe and disciplined environment so kids don't have to put on airs or belittle others to make themselves feel better. No they are not saints...just nice kids. The academics are great, too. Students are taught high school level Algebra, writing and grammar, Spanish, and more. The technology teacher is outstanding...exposes kids to programming! Every 8th grader got into their first choice high school! Many well organized extra-curriculars for a variety of interests. Oh, and all teachers respond to questions within 24 hrs. We are blessed to send our kids to such a loving school.

Posted February 17, 2011

Had to leave school because of my child being bullied.Was in a bad class.Too many parents with "perfect" kids.Very hard to deal with.This school is a parent runned school.If you are principal and you make an unpopular decision, you will be outta there on a rail.Was very sad to leave but things were not getting better.Live and learn.I really hope they will implement a bully no tolerance policy.My child is very happy in her new school even though she works all night so she can catch up with the class.The new school is far more difficult academically.As long as she is happy and loves to go to school.No cliques in her new class.I ask her who she plays with, she says "everybody".Such a relief.Before I would dread every day wondering how she was.Just my 2 cents.Hope it helps.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Autism

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Debate

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Yvette jeffreys
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (626) 285-5367

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Improv
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Academic Decathlon

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom