No rating

First Lutheran School

Private | K-6 | 37 students

Living in Temple City

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $510,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,600.

Posted May 25, 2014

First Lutheran School is a great place for children K-8. Curriculum is based on Common Core Standards which emphasize critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving. FLS is a school that educates students to perform above the curve. Extra curricular activities such as sports, cheerleading, yearbook club, student leadership, and worship team are offered to provide students with a well-rounded education. With a diverse student population, children of all language levels and cultures are welcome. I have seen students arrive knowing little, to no English at all. After working with the English Language Certified teaching staff at FLS, these students made incredible progress in their English language development. Teachers are experienced, credentialed, Christians who offer the latest in education by bringing fresh new strategies and ideas to the classroom. Classes are strategically sized to provide all students with individual attention and equal opportunity to succeed. If you are new to the area or just looking for a better option, FLS is a private school worth looking into. First Lutheran School would be a great fit for any type of learner. I strongly recommend it!

Posted May 25, 2014

FLS is a hidden gem in Temple City. This school is fortunate to have acquired a young staff that are highly qualified with years of background experience. Some teachers also hold recent Masters degrees in Educational Multimedia and Literacy and Reading. I have no doubt that my child is receiving an excellent education based on current practices. The small class sizes provide a unique and personalized education catering to the strengths and needs of each child. I know my child has benefited greatly from the one-on-one attention that they cannot get anywhere else. The teachers teach and promote Christian beliefs and values to all students. I feel comforted seeing the love of Christ centered in such a strong and connected staff and passed onto our children. A see a positive change this year and cannot wait to see what the future has in store. Come join us!

Posted May 24, 2014

This school is not as good as it used to be with all the newbie teachers. Enrollment has been steadily declining over the years. Some of the teachers are not even Christian.

Posted May 24, 2014

FLS is a wonderful and nurturing school! If you are looking for a more personal Christian environment where each kid gets amazing attention, FLS is perfect. We have sent two of our children and we have always been warmed by their caring and loving teaching staff. FLS has helped us to teach our children how to love the Lord as well as receive a great academic education. We would highly recommend this school to anyone. Go see for yourself.

Posted May 24, 2014

My kids love the school, the teachers and the friends around them. I love the teacher as well, they put their hearts together and take good care of my kids. The school is not only focusing on education, but how to be a better person and make good choices. The size of the school is a bit small, and it turns out my kids receive full attention from teachers

Posted May 23, 2014

As a current parent at FLS, I am extremely satisfied with the education my child is recieving. The teachers are highly qualified, experienced, credentialed, and some even hold masters degrees. It is a great school with a loving, Christian staff who teach children beyond text books while incorporating strong Christian values. Being part of this school is like being part of a family. It is Accredited and thriving. I love FLS and I am very pleased with the experience my family and I have had so far. My child loves going to school every day!

Posted March 18, 2014

First Lutheran School is the best school we as parents have experienced. My daughter is blessed to have a teacher like Mrs Papadopulos who gave my daughter the confidence that she needed in Kingdergaden and she is also the reason that my daughter loves to go to school every day. She sends encouraging messages to the students; treats the students fairly, and shares her life experiences with them to help them learn what is right and wrong. Teachers here are passionate and love their students. We live in Temple City with good public schools which our son attended and where we volunteered, but now we choose FLS for our daughter with two reasons: 1. the size of class, what can we expect if a teacher teaches 30 students? If the kid is not attentive, she /he will get lost. 2. the Christian base- Love, we think the best education is based on love. The students here are inspired in love, and the parents are always welcomed and respected. They treat everyone as a family.

Posted February 6, 2014

I have had two children go through this school, and they did great at Temple City high school. The foundation they learned at First Lutheran made the high school work that much easier. The teachers and staff of the school have as their highest priority the well being of their students. This doesn't seem just like a job, but a true love for their students and their families. The class are smaller than the public school system which was another reason we selected this school. I didn't want my child to get lost in the crowd, and when you have a low teacher to student ratio, that just can't happen. The faculty maybe a little different from when my children were there but as I hear from my nephew who sends his son there, those high standards are still in place, and the love and compassion that only comes from a Christian school is still there. I noticed from there website that they now take F-1 students. That's great, the students can learn about other cultures and lands from real people

Posted February 21, 2013

The small class size and the dedicated teachers help the students progress wonderfully. The field trips add to a well rounded education. The environment is safe and secure. The tuition is more than fair. But you are asked to contribute your time at school events and help maintain an enriched environment for the children. I like this school because the technology program is excellent. The children are kind and polite too.

Posted April 7, 2011

Best Preschool in Temple City, Arcadia and surrounding areas. I looked at at least a dozen preschools when I was getting ready to enroll my oldest daughter in preschool. None of the directors or staff would address or speak to my child during my visit. The focus was always me or "selling" me. Sonshine House Preschool which is part of First Lutheran School was the only school where the staff made a huge effort to intergarte my daughter with the rest of the children during our visit. The staff are super caring and my daughter has thrived in the last 2 years. Now I also have my second daughter at Sonshine House. This is a great place to develop you child both academically and socially whether you are a Christian or not.

Posted May 21, 2009

My child was a former student of FLS and alumni. This school started off good and over the 8 years that my child attended FLS started to decline. I found over the years the academic programs, curriculum declined. There was a high overturn rate of teachers leaving to go to other schools or quit for other reasons. Some teachers were fresh out of college with little or no teaching experience. The veteran teachers left because of the politics at the school. Nothing was confidential, everyone knew everyone's business. The positive is the day care staff onsite for the before and after school program were wonderful.

Posted January 5, 2009

The middle school provides laptop computers for each student. After school activities include a robotics club.

Posted May 4, 2007

Miss Blume is the best teacher in the world for my child. She is such a caring teacher. My child has been blessed to have her as my child's teacher.

Posted May 8, 2006

My child loves this school. The third grade teacher is especially loved by all. She is a very loving and caring person.

Posted April 22, 2006

What a great place for my child. The teachers are wonderful and caring.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 15, 2005

The quality of the teachers is unsurpassed, but the daycare options are not good here. The level of parental involvement required for school programs is reasonable, and musicals etc. are very well done. The children are exposed to high academics. There is a large playground, with a beautiful mountain scene.

Posted October 10, 2004

FLTC is an amazing place for children to learn and grow! The teachers work so hard to provide a caring, nuturing environment and the children really benefit from their efforts. This school may be small, but it has a lot of spirit and this makes a BIG impact on the kids!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 50% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Arts & music

• Art room

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mr. Richard Swanson
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Sports

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9123 Broadway