First Lutheran School

Private | K-8

Living in Temple City

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $510,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,600.

Sweep tile

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I have 2 of my daughters enrolling in the elementary school. Teacher - Student relationship is its best. They have small classes, so the children are getting ALL of the attentions they need. My eldest is pretty bright, loves reading and very curious about science. Her teacher saw the potential, was able to guide her curiosity and eventually move her to the higher grade. Our second daughter is also pretty bright, but she is not as curious, she likes to get by with minimum effort. Few weeks ago her teacher approached us, and told us that she is gearing her toward art, as she saw her potential in art. Thank you FLS for being able to see and guide my children potentials.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

First Lutheran School is a great place for children k-8. Curriculum is based on common core standards which emphasize critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving. FLS is a school that educates students to perform above the curve. I personally love the school spirit and enthusiasm for learning that comes with the children and staff. The school even offers extra curricular activities such as sports, cheerleading, yearbook club, and worship team to provide students with a well-rounded educaton. With a diverse student population, children of all language levels and cultures are welcome there. I have seen students arrive at FLS speaking little to no English at all, and make leaps and bounds in their English language development. The teachers are experienced and English Language certified, therefore they know exactly how to teach to ensure language development. Classes are strategically sized in order to provide all students with individual attention and an equal opportunity to succeed. If you are new to the area or just looking for a better option, it is a private school to look into. First Lutheran School would be a great fit for any type of learner. I strongly recommend it!

Posted March 18, 2014

First Lutheran School is the best school we as parents have experienced. My daughter is blessed to have a teacher like Mrs Papadopulos who gave my daughter the confidence that she needed in Kingdergaden and she is also the reason that my daughter loves to go to school every day. She sends encouraging messages to the students; treats the students fairly, and shares her life experiences with them to help them learn what is right and wrong. Teachers here are passionate and love their students. We live in Temple City with good public schools which our son attended and where we volunteered, but now we choose FLS for our daughter with two reasons: 1. the size of class, what can we expect if a teacher teaches 30 students? If the kid is not attentive, she /he will get lost. 2. the Christian base- Love, we think the best education is based on love. The students here are inspired in love, and the parents are always welcomed and respected. They treat everyone as a family.

Posted February 6, 2014

I have had two children go through this school, and they did great at Temple City high school. The foundation they learned at First Lutheran made the high school work that much easier. The teachers and staff of the school have as their highest priority the well being of their students. This doesn't seem just like a job, but a true love for their students and their families. The class are smaller than the public school system which was another reason we selected this school. I didn't want my child to get lost in the crowd, and when you have a low teacher to student ratio, that just can't happen. The faculty maybe a little different from when my children were there but as I hear from my nephew who sends his son there, those high standards are still in place, and the love and compassion that only comes from a Christian school is still there. I noticed from there website that they now take F-1 students. That's great, the students can learn about other cultures and lands from real people

Posted March 5, 2013

My child has attended FLS for over 3 years now. It is a caring, nurturing environment for my child. Biblical and moral teachings are incorporated into every school day. The teachers here are excellent. I would recommend this school highly for its small class size and teacher quality. Parents are really involved and help create a family atmosphere.

Posted February 21, 2013

The small class size and the dedicated teachers help the students progress wonderfully. The field trips add to a well rounded education. The environment is safe and secure. The tuition is more than fair. But you are asked to contribute your time at school events and help maintain an enriched environment for the children. I like this school because the technology program is excellent. The children are kind and polite too.

Posted April 7, 2011

Best Preschool in Temple City, Arcadia and surrounding areas. I looked at at least a dozen preschools when I was getting ready to enroll my oldest daughter in preschool. None of the directors or staff would address or speak to my child during my visit. The focus was always me or "selling" me. Sonshine House Preschool which is part of First Lutheran School was the only school where the staff made a huge effort to intergarte my daughter with the rest of the children during our visit. The staff are super caring and my daughter has thrived in the last 2 years. Now I also have my second daughter at Sonshine House. This is a great place to develop you child both academically and socially whether you are a Christian or not.

Posted May 21, 2009

My child was a former student of FLS and alumni. This school started off good and over the 8 years that my child attended FLS started to decline. I found over the years the academic programs, curriculum declined. There was a high overturn rate of teachers leaving to go to other schools or quit for other reasons. Some teachers were fresh out of college with little or no teaching experience. The veteran teachers left because of the politics at the school. Nothing was confidential, everyone knew everyone's business. The positive is the day care staff onsite for the before and after school program were wonderful.

Posted January 5, 2009

The middle school provides laptop computers for each student. After school activities include a robotics club.

Posted May 4, 2007

Miss Blume is the best teacher in the world for my child. She is such a caring teacher. My child has been blessed to have her as my child's teacher.

Posted May 8, 2006

My child loves this school. The third grade teacher is especially loved by all. She is a very loving and caring person.

Posted April 22, 2006

What a great place for my child. The teachers are wonderful and caring.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 15, 2005

The quality of the teachers is unsurpassed, but the daycare options are not good here. The level of parental involvement required for school programs is reasonable, and musicals etc. are very well done. The children are exposed to high academics. There is a large playground, with a beautiful mountain scene.

Posted October 10, 2004

FLTC is an amazing place for children to learn and grow! The teachers work so hard to provide a caring, nuturing environment and the children really benefit from their efforts. This school may be small, but it has a lot of spirit and this makes a BIG impact on the kids!

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Black 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9123 Broadway