Thousand Oaks, CA
Students enrolled: 1,058

Posted May 05, 2014
So happy we switched to Colina. My current 8th grader is finally getting challenged in math and is receiving a broader and more in depth learning experience - unlike his last 2 years at Oaks Christian. Similarly my 6th grader who was getting bullied in a small Montessori school is getting the support and structure he needs at Colina. Bullying is addressed in the blink of an eye and is absolutely not tolerated at Colina. The teachers he has are outstanding and supportive. They easily convey their love for and expertise in their respective subjects. In his English class, each child types away on their tablet and benefit from innovative teaching techniques. His math/ science teacher is brilliant and makes learning fun. So impressed by the children's progress. Any concern (infrequent) is typically addressed within hours or a day -depending on the issue - very responsive and organized staff.

Posted April 02, 2014
Perfect place for our 7th grade son. He is an above average student (A to B+), who works twice as hard as naturally intelligent kids, but the teachers help him get through the curriculum and he loves the environment. He wants to perform to be at this school where the staff makes him feel welcome. Yes, there is 1 teacher goes beyond in helping (math) and 1 teacher who is less than helpful, but overall no complaints, only accolades.

Colina Middle School 1

Posted March 21, 2013
My son will be returning to his old school next fall. Colina is a huge disappointment. He was new to the school and has had children throw erasers at him during class (where was the teacher?), called names, pushed in the hall, etc. On top of this, the taxpayers have given them great online programs so that parents can track their chid's progress, but the teachers are not required to use them, so many don't. When I've tried to communicate with the teachers, their response has largely been that it is up to my child to contact them at school. So there is basically no way to help keep your child on track if they are struggling. On top of that, they send home so much homework every night that it feels like I'm homeschooling my kid. Yet, it never seems to be enough. No matter how hard he works, there are more hoops to jump through. Heaven forbid they get sick! In keeping with Colina's "zero tolerance" policies, we were not allowed to make up his work because it had not been turned in within 24 hours of his return. I agree with other reviewers. The teachers and admin. are much more concerned about themselves than their students. Our tax dollars could be used much more wisely!

Posted January 23, 2013
The school is amazing, The leadership is empowering and the teachers are, for the most part, very dedicated and challenging. The parents and students who complain are entitled and should consider the private schools in the area. It is clearly the best public middle school in Ventura County.

Posted October 09, 2012
Colina is a wonderful school. The priniciple is one of the nicest involved principle I have ever experienced. We are so lucky we are able to attend this school. The school continues to keep my son challenged with school work and they are very concerned about drugs and bullying which is a real plus! And although there are a few teachers (7th grade) that are not the best. you will find this at ever school.

Colina Middle School 2

Posted August 22, 2012
This is a response to the post about book distribution on 1/7/2012. Your statement "Colina honored all requests" to distribute books is inaccurate. My spouse and I happened to be at the counseling office one day prior to our scheduled book pickup day. We requested to pickup books that day since we were already there although our last name did not match the scheduled pickup day. The response from them was to return tomorrow when it was our turn. I'm not blaming the library staff for delays but instead those who are in charge of organizing the event. I've come to notice that if you ask five Colina employees the same question, you'll receive four different answers. Even one Colina employee recently stated that they expect the disorganization. I see it as mismanagement which starts from above. Please dont tell me my statement is inaccurate as YOU WERE NOT THERE as my entire family was. I now accept Colina for what it IS not what everyone would like it to be.

Posted May 24, 2012
When I think about my children and school I think first of their safety, then their health, their education and finally their happiness. Against all four of these key areas I can say that Colina Middle School has surpassed any of the others schools my children have attended.Several of which were federally recognized Blue Ribbon schools. The teachers at Colina are dedicated beyond their obligations, the clerical staff ether in the general, counseling or attendance offices are extremely professional, incredible helpful and genuinely friendly. In all the years of my interaction with administrators I have never found a group more committed to my children's welfare and never have I found a principal who sacrifices so much to ensure that students who attend Colina are treated with respect and enjoy the most enriching experience possible.Parents have many options today where their children can attend school but from this one parent's prospective not only is Colina Middle School a good choice it would be my only choice.This year Colina will graduate my youngest and she follows 3 of her sisters who passed before her so I guess I have made a choice and couldn't be happier with the selection

Colina Middle School 2

Posted March 30, 2012
Speaking as a student who has is currently attending Colina Middle School, I have seen various levels of courtesy and patience from the staff members. It is my belief (and it is very much appreciated) that all school staff members should have an optimistic attitude and should be willing to help. However, nearly every day on our school campus, I run into some sort of mishap with a staff member. Some of the office/counseling staff is almost always very rude, contrary to what it should be (many students go to both these locations every day). Some of the teachers here are shockingly bitter and speak to us students in a belittling tone. I like having teachers whom I can respect, and I enjoy being in a comfortable, helpful school environment. What I do not appreciate is being snapped at for accidents or things of which I am not at fault (I accidentally knocked over a bottle of soap and rushed to pick it up and apologized, yet I was yelled at by an overly frustrated teacher. I have been studying during the SURE hour, making a valuable use of the time, and had my materials confiscated. The materials were not returned.) Colina has some great teachers, but the school needs some help.

Colina Middle School 1

Posted September 21, 2011
This school is a gamble. One year you may get lucky and have a good instructor and another year get some really bad. As a prior reviewer already stated, you'll get lip service in order to appease your complaints. Unfortunately the school is unable to resolve the issues with poor quality instructors due to the union / tenure. Every year here seems like it's the first year they have been in business . . . newbies at best. The teacher communication is good when they want parents to donate to their classroom needs. I thought a public education was paid with public tax dollars. Now the teachers claim that in class experiments require donations or they will be pulled which reduces the ability for them to educate our childeren. Appears to me the school needs to learn how to be frugal with their expenses and they would not be asking for handouts. Parents should consider gathering their resources together to create a Charter Middle School like others have recently done in Conejo.

Colina Middle School 3

Posted June 27, 2011
I agree with the prior review the office staff is incredibly rude but they don't teach my child so I'll try to overlook that. My child was in all honors, it's a mix bag here when it comes to the teachers. He has had some of the best teachers here and worse. The problem is when you complain about a teacher, there is realy nothing they do but give you lip service. I understand the teacher tenure protects teachers, in a extreme case the most they do is transfer them to other schools within the district, that doesn't solve the problem. There is no accountability for teachers. The school is on top of it with kids bullying other kids but once again if they have a disruptive child or a child caught with drugs on campus they just transfer kids to another school within the district instead of providing them with the help that they really need.

Colina Middle School
1500 East Hillcrest Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA  91362
Last modified Colina Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Colina Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top