Weathersfield Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Thousand Oaks

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $425,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,630.

Posted May 12, 2014

I attended this school some time ago. It really could have been better. Things are not enforced during recess at all by the current yard supervisors, and the administration isn't exactly the best at dealing with bullying. Instead of just saying "boys will be boys" they should actually try to sort this stuff out and actually listen to the victim. The majority of the teachers are nice though, and even though they do seem slightly stressed with the administration they do a good job.

Posted October 27, 2013

Most teachers are stressed out with the management and the principal's controlling style. The recent influx of ESL students also has added to a large Spanish speaking student body.

Posted October 6, 2013

Wonderful Teachers and Families. Great Principal and parent involvement. My Children are very happy here.

Posted October 5, 2013

Our school is a fun and educational environments and I love to participate in every event we have. Weathersfield is like a big family where parents like to volunteer in the classrooms and thrive to be involved during the fundraisers and programs we offer.

Posted October 4, 2013

Weathersfield is a GREAT school. I've had a child there for 6 years, (k-5), and has totally thrived there. Her state test scores are excellant. She has excelled in their chorus and musical instrument programs. A great choice for anyone lucky enough to go there.

Posted September 30, 2013

I have been at this school for six years now, and it's changed tremendously. The school and the pta work hard to raise funds for new technologies and new programs for the children every year. We also have had a lot of changes in teachers over that time, and there are some absolutely wonderful teachers, very caring, and making sure our kids have the best opportunities and education available.

Posted July 10, 2013

After having many years at this school with older children and having just finished Kindergarten with our youngest I find it very troublesome that the school has gone from a 9 to 8 rating and the test scores seem to also be falling. The Principal seems to have a throw the blame on someone else attitude and doesn't work along with the parents and students but against them! I had many friends who were zoned to attend Weathersfield but after the lack luster orientation and reviews about the school from other parents have decided to use school choice to put their kids elsewhere! Such a shame it used to be such a wonderful school!

Posted July 22, 2012

Our daughter just had a wonderful year in Kindergarten. She got extra help for some learning issues she has and has really improved in areas where she is struggling. Her teacher has been very patient with her and has been very cooperative and resourceful when trying to figure out how our daughter can get the best out of the instruction with her learning issues. We are very confident that she is ready for 1st Grade and that she will get the help she needs to be successful and remain confident and hard working.

Posted June 3, 2012

My daughter attended school here the past two years and has had wonderful teachers. The school does many fun thing with their students and lot's of singing programs during the year. The school itself looks old and a bit run down but it's test scores are right up there with other great schools in town. Do your research and you will see. Yes, it sounds like there are a few teachers in this school that could or should retire but what school doesn't have a few of those. So far we could not be happier. The parents are all wonderful too. There are many parents who help in the classrooms and many nice children here.

Posted November 21, 2011

I went to this school 9 years ago now, from K - 3rd grade. I loved that school as a kid from all the friends.. and enemies I made. I'm a Freshan in highschool and I'll tell you a little about this school. Don't make teachers mad. These two teachers, Mr Ayer and Mrs Elcia hated me. Mr Ayer would yell at me for running to lunch. Mrs Elcia would get mad at me for asking EVERY day if we were going to the computer lab because i loved to play on this art program for kids. I've read some comments about the school bullying kids. It's somewhat true enough. The lunchyard duty person also didn't like me too much either. Also, don't throw oranges at the walls.. you'll be sent to the principal's office. The old principal at the school, Mr Carr, loved me. :D I visited his office so much I soon enough became his friend. This school was also where I met the love of my life, who, sadly, moved to Colorado in 3rd grade. It felt like the world ended then. Oh well.. I hope you've liked me review in the school. :D

Posted October 17, 2010

My daughter is in Kindergarten and until about 2 weeks ago cried on the weekends when there was no school. Now, we have a stomach ache every morning and tears every afternoon because she has been reprimanded about every aspect of her personality by numerous staff members (including a yard duty who yelled at her for not being able to tie her shoes fast enough). We have tried contacting the principal but after a brief phone call (we were not even granted a one on one meeting) but were told it did not sound like her staff and I was questioned on if my daughter had even attended preschool. We will take our fight all the way to the school board and will not allow staff to bully the children.

Posted June 18, 2010

Parents beware. There are several older teachers at this school who are basically retired on the job. Our daughter transferred in this last school year and found herself in a very sink-or-swim situation. Her fourth grade classroom was very dirty and disorganized. There was very little homework, especially after spring break, and the teacher often assigned something and later forgot about it and never followed through. The teacher clung to traditional material in math and reading without much traditional instruction to back it up. In a meeting, he pooh-poohed the concept of multiple intelligences and different learning styles but could not really tell us what the assignments were for the week. We spent hours every week instructing our child at home to keep her at grade level. If you find your child assigned to one of the deadwood teachers, act quickly to put him or her in one of the magnates.

Posted December 16, 2009

Weathrsfield has been wonderful and we are sad that my daughter will have to move on to intermediate next year as we will miss Weathersfield very much. Mr Ayers is a must if you want your child to learn responsibility and be taught by the most careing involved and gifted teacher around.There is always one teacher that you never forget and love. For us it seems Mr.Ayers has taken that spot.

Posted May 26, 2009

We have been to Weathersfield for 2 years now and love it. As always, everything dependes on the teacher. Mr. Wells for the 2nd/3rd grade split was the best that could happen to us! Organized, loving, challenging, great communication, .... School is sometimes a little oldfashioned, but they all do a great job!

Posted May 25, 2009

School is O.k.Teachers could be a little more strict and expect more from the student.Only few teachers are looking for excelence, seems just to pass the student from to the next grade is enough.Bright kids are bored !

Posted May 25, 2009

This is our first year in Weathersfield, and my son is in 2nd Grade. We came from a really good school in Santa Monica where there were fresh new ideas. Weathersfield may still be stuck on a bit old fashion ideas in regarding to fundraising. Okay I need to get involved and hope to have the energy next year. I do love Weathersfield and my son got help right away with reading and I am happy they have the resources to get him the help he needed. I also noticed that they actually get more play times during the day which I personally think kids need in order to learn. Mr. Wells has been great and my son loves him.

Posted May 25, 2009

I have my son in K, he is thriving, with the best teacher I'v met for this age. My son was bullied, we got the perfect response and support from the school staff, and teachers. I'm bringing my second grader to third grade, since in the private school where she is now, she gets NO support for her shyness, and reading. Here, I already was told how I will get support. What else you can ask for? unbeatable. Wonderful.

Posted September 27, 2007

I graduated from Weathersfield Elementary three years ago. I think that this is a great school, and all of the staff is amazing.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 28, 2007

This school is great because it is not too big and has fantastic teachers. I have 2 sons Kindergarden and 3rd grade and they just love going to school there. I have been pleasantly surprised by all of the teachers. The PTA is thriving and helps offer alot of extras things for the kids, like music and art classes.

Posted July 24, 2007

I am extremely pleased with Weathersfield for my son who just completed 3rd grade. His second grade and 3rd grade teachers made a great difference in improving his reading skills. The second grade teacher gave good foundation and the third grade teacher boosted his confidence. They also were instrumental in motivating him to read by offering various incentives. The school also offers good diverse activities like arts, computer lab, and music.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students69%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3151 Darlington Drive