Posted May 14, 2014
I agree with all of the negative comments below. I went to this school last year and remembered poor math, art, and music programs, all of which are important in kids learning. My math class last year which was separate from others for advanced students, was very unsatisfactory and I learned virtually nothing that year in math. Computers and iPads do not substitute for hands on enrichment and helping a kid learn. I had three great teachers through my experience at Bel Aire, but others were mean, did not teach well, were not good role models, and were incompetent because of these reasons. The principal practically bullied all of the kids and showed no respect for us. She would always break her own rules for her own pleasure. I also remember all of my friends disliking her. I think she thinks unfairly and so does the PTA. The school play is biased for the kids whose parents are donors to RUSD or the underachieving kids. Despite all of these things, my teachers in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade were outstanding and I learned plenty from them. I am shocked the superintendent now put Principal Purcell in charge of Reed as well as Bel Aire. Written by a former Student

Bel Aire Elementary School 2

Posted April 29, 2014
The school teaches to the middle and lower end. Higher achieving students are used as teacher aides to help the under achieving students. Students are not held accountable for homework and the curriculum is not well taught. They actually taught the same curriculum my dc had the year before in private but the private did a much better job at the grade below! Some teachers have 28-29 kids in a class! I'm so surprised that such a high achieving community would tolerate such mediocracy.

Bel Aire Elementary School 5

Posted March 28, 2014
Bel Aire is a warm and creative place for your child to learn and we have had a very positive experience with both the staff and principal. Our teachers in both 3rd and 4th grade have been incredible!

Posted February 06, 2014
Having your kid want to go to school does not mean you are at a Good School! like the last person who wrote about this school and gave it a 5 star might benefit from actually going there (3-5th grade). She might learn some basic punctuation, if she is lucky enough to get one of the "good teachers". While she says her son is enjoying going to school , what is he LEARNING? I hope other viewers recognize the lack of experience/knowledge and discount this review. I think people should wait until they have more information before writing a review and or not do it to make friends in the PTA. Another good thing to ask yourself is, do you want your kids to go to school with kids who have parents who do things like this?

Bel Aire Elementary School 5

Posted January 24, 2014
We couldn't disagree more with the rating comments in the reviews. Pati Purcell runs school that has incredibly high morale across the staff and students. We are not big donators but we have always gotten the best teachers. Our 5th grader absolutely loves Bel Aire and his experience there has taken him from a kid that "hates school" to one that looks forward to each school day. We can't say enough about happy we are to be at this school and we hope that our experience at Del Mar will be just as outstanding.

Posted September 05, 2013
I went to this school many years ago. Besides the after school model airplane class, everything else was terrible. I was bullied and pushed around and nobody did anything. I couldn't stand the kids that went there so when I finally graduated, I made my parents put me in a private school. Luckily, that worked out. It was far and away the worst school experience of my life. I don't remember any of my teachers to this day.

Posted August 20, 2013
Fully agree with the post right below. Why isn't principal Purcell held accountable? She does not deserve to be an administrator, especially for children! Most parents I Know try to duck under her radar, even when they feel the school and teacher quality are going downhill fast. The other schools in the district, reed and del mar, are still great though. I guess 3 years isn't that long?.....

Posted August 19, 2013
If I could, I would give this school a zero. While this school has some really good teachers it is poorly run by the administration. I think the principal is unethical, incompetent, and a bully. I'm not sure how she can ignore emais from parents month after month and keep her job without a response. However, after finally meeting with her personally, I realized most parents are scared of her and therefore don't bother. She is known to be a beligerent person and they also worry their kids will be treated unkindly and not given band aids or a part in the school play. Even though the PTA claims responsibility, she is completely in charge of it! They also worry if they complain that their kids will be given the worst teachers in the school. The music, art and math program are non-existent. Kids who get good teachers and parts in the school play are most likely big donors, untalented or poor students. The math/reading program is completely focused on the underachieving kids. The only thing we liked about this school was the few hard working, kind and talented teachers but with the interaction of the administration, they were never allowed to do the right things.

Posted August 10, 2013
Awfully. My daughter finally graduated from this school. The school is disorganized.It's too bad the school is ran by such poor quality teachers.

Posted July 23, 2013
At a party, the principal was complaining and gossiping about the 3rd grade parents. She doesnt mind when the teachers do this either. Not all of them do, but our certainly did! Reminds me if the silly cliques in high school, only it's the supposed role models and educators for our children. Disgusting!

Bel Aire Elementary School
277 Karen Way, Tiburon, CA  94920
Last modified Bel Aire Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 3-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bel Aire Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top