Topanga Learn-Charter Elementary School

Charter | K-6

Living in Topanga

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $802,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted yesterday

We left. Too many issues, one after the other, that were never handled. And they blame you if you bring anything up, but this was the last couple principals. My child became full of learning anxiety and said she hated learning. Now she is simply thriving somewhere else. Horrible leadership, nice teachers but not exceptional in general. A weird defensive vibe from staff in general. We left broken hearted like so many other Topangans. Wish Topanga Elementary would finally start representing Topanga and its inhabitants better. It's very middle of the road. Terrible at handling any problems that arise. If you don't have any, it'll be fine. Parents have a great time. Nice ecclectic group.

Posted May 17, 2014

I have 2 years experience with Topanga Elementary and so far have found it to be a wonderful school. I am mystified by the previous review concerning a male kindergarten teacher. I have a child in that class and it has been a great year. I worked as a volunteer in the classroom and found the teaching to be fun and interesting. The male teacher is clearly very popular with the kids and I never witnessed any 'unkind', .' aggressive', or 'mocking' behaviour. I found him to be kind, funny, patient and nurturing. He does not tolerate bad behaviour, but I never heard him raise his voice. He is more likely to move a disruptive student quietly to another table. I believe the vast majority of parents are also happy with him and cannot understand this strange review. All three kindergarten teachers are wonderful for different reasons. The outgoing principal has been terrific and we are all keeping our fingers crossed that a similarly approachable and capable principal will be recruited.

Posted March 17, 2014

This is a safe and nurturing school with mostly caring and involved parents. However much of the success of the school can be attributed to the active parent body and not to the generally weak leadership and staff. There are some wonderful thoughtful teachers here however my daughter was unfortunate to get a male kindergarten teacher who is not just incompetent, failing to teach the children anything except what they can absorb from endless drills from dull worksheets, but who is actively unkind: aggressively and overtly mocking children who do not fit into an average mold in front of other children and parents alike. Many other parents have told me that this behavior has gone on unchecked for years, therefore despite the safe environment and parents who manage to keep arts and music in the school even with the LAUSD budget restraints, I cannot give a school that allows one individual to damage so many anything but a one.

Posted August 23, 2013

My school is Topanga Elementary and it is a fantastic school. Lots of parental involvement and a terrific principal and teaching staff. We feel so blesses to have our child attend such an excellent school!

Posted August 22, 2013

We feel very fortunate to have had our child at Topanga for the last 5 years. He is in a very safe place and is surrounded by a principal, teachers and other parents who encourage him to be his best. Regardless of the challenges we have had with LAUSD funding, our TEP program seems to always make it happen each year for our kids, providing the additional enrichment they so need. Overall, it has been a VERY good experience.

Posted August 22, 2013

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to Principal Nicole, all the wonderful teachers, the teachers aids, the office staff, the custodian Charles, the cafeteria help and all the wonderful parents that give so much of their time, love and money to our community and all the different fundraisers the school has throughout the year. My grandson has been going to Topanga Elementary school for four years and he has learned so much in these past years that I was amaze when he came home with homework on algebra in the 3 grade. I know for a fact that these teachers have their best interest at heart.. I know there is no school anywhere in the country that always has 100% ratings every year (unless they are teaching robots), so I can only expect the best from all concern. I love their academics. They have a great lab, art classes, computer class, math class and many more good learning activities. Our community is very close and we do look after each others children.. The way the world is now we have to protect all our children.. Thank you very much for having a great curriculum and for the love and security you give all our children. From a grandparent.....

Posted March 4, 2013

Adequate academic program. Lots of state-testing prep, which explains to a large degree its API. Principal is competent in running academic side of school, but woefully inadequate in dealing with bullying. Quite simply, she will tell you she'll "take care of it," but cannot provide any concrete details when asked for a follow-up. The bullying continues; she agrees to meet with you again and takes notes, but does absolutely nothing about it. By the third or fourth complaint, she'll begin to question if the victim is doing anything to trigger the bullying. Fundraising, while necessary, is far above normal. Your child will be the target of daily fundraising, from after/before-school sales of pizza, ice cream and hot chocolate to large-scale campaigns that happen almost monthly. They offer wonderful, unique field trips -- this is truly a highlight of their program. The only downside is that they insist on using a caravan of parent drivers for at least half the field trips. If you offer to drive, you must take on all legal responsibility for the children in your car and supply your insurance information to the school.

Posted September 27, 2011

Wow! We are amazed so far. We looked at all the great private schools for our Transitional Kindergarten son and now we are so glad we went this route. Our initial change of heart was simply to get our kids involved in the local community but now, we are impressed and excited about the learning ahead at this school. We are staying!

Posted September 4, 2011

This is a public school with a private school education. After being at private school for 5 years and spending a large amount of money onn tuition, donations and time I wish that we had skipped all that and just come to this fabulous school! The score even went up from last year to this year which is unheard of in public schools!

Posted August 17, 2011

My experience at Top Elem has been excellent. My four years there have been rewRding. The new and improved principal offers a breathe of fresh air to the school. I don't mind the fundraising. I feel it's the least I can do to help fund science, computer lab , art trek, aids, pe, and more. Fundraising is part of every school now. Even very expensive private schools fundraise. The teachers at Top Elem are creative and attentive, and caring. I think the school deserves 5 stars!!!

Posted March 7, 2011

We have one child at Topanga, and one at another public school and I can attest that the fundraising at Topanga is far more than normal. The parent fundraising committee funds programs that are not offered by LAUSD, but it's not clear what the money goes to when you give. I have heard a large amount goes to the 6th grade class in particular. At the other childs shool the fundraising is very light, and you never receive fliers guilt tripping parents for not giving. I understand the need for fundraising, but clearly Topanga Elementary has the tone wrong. We love the area, but are looking into getting out of this school unless things change. The parents who do fundraise are very heavy handed and have huge attitude toward anyone who doesn't agree with how they do things.

Posted March 4, 2011

My family loves this school. Our kids have spent a combined nine years there. Parent involvement adds an exceptional, vibrant and uplifting learning environment to an already excellent LAUSD Charter school. Is it perfect? No school can be for all students. But it has all the ingredients that allow parents to roll up their sleeves and express the unique Topanga qualities of diversity, creativity and self-reliance: an intimate and beautiful campus to keeps kids connected to nature; fun, competent, creative teachers to take care of the academics; a highly accessible, no-nonsense principal and last not least a caring, diverse and super-engaged parent body. Five stars in my book!

Posted March 2, 2011

I am not blindly optimistic about our school - on the contrary. We have had our difficulties for sure. But we never once considered leaving Topanga Elementary. Why? Because it remains the best choice among LAUSD public schools. At Topanga we have a dedicated science teacher and all grades have science class once a week. We have aides in all the classrooms. We have two 5th grade classes with 16 kids each. 16. EVERY school fundraises. We're asked to give $600 per student. I have never felt "shamed" for giving less. Our fundraising PAYS for the science teacher, the P.E. teacher, the librarian, a teacher's salary. Raising money is a reality of modern public education at every school. Topanga Elementary follows the LAUSD curriculum. Like anywhere, some teachers are more inspired and some less. But our teachers are able to do more with their students, I believe, than teachers at bigger schools with higher student-to-teacher ratios. My children get more at Topanga than they would at their local public school in pretty much any category you can think of. Topanga truly is an excellent school, in my opinion, and deserves a 5-star rating.

Posted March 1, 2011

With the assault on education over the last few years, TECS and it's fundraising body has gone above and beyond to keep the quality programs the community has come to love. I have 2 kids which have attended since K and they're now in 2nd & 5th grade. Over the years, I've learned that the staff really cares about the kids and the school, they all work very hard to do the best job possible. If the teachers teach to the test, it's because THEY'VE HAD TO to keep funding, that's not their fault! The new principal has brought a youthful, vibrant energy to the school which was exactly what it needed. The fundraising can be a real drag, but if it wasn't done, the schools programs and staff would be cut drastically and we'd lose the programs & people that make this school so special. I do not think the fundraising is much different at other schools. I am proud to say my kids attend Topanga Elementary, I would recommend it to anyone interested in a small, progressive, yet public school.

Posted March 1, 2011

We love this school!! I work with hundreds of schools throughout LA County and have not seen a school that would better suit the personality of our family. My children are challenged, energized and excited to go to school in the morning. Every teacher we have had so far has been a dream and our new principal has improved school communication 100%. LAUSD is in a lot of turmoil and this school is able to offer things many other schools can't. My kids feel safe and supported and the after school program is spectacular. Parents can be as involved or removed as they are comfortable being and while not everyone can afford to give a lot of money every year, there are enough parents who step up physically and financially that the community stays healthy. I am extremely proud to be able to send my children to this spectacular public school.

Posted March 1, 2011

We have been at Topanga Elementary Charter School for for 6 wonderful years! It is a beautiful campus nestled in the mountains of Topanga. It has the charm of a small country school and the quality of an expensive private school. The principal of the school is professional, dedicated, present and responsive to our every question and concern. There isn't a teacher there that I wouldn't want my kids to learn from...they have all gone above and beyond to make our kids experience rich in both academics and arts. The parent community is over the top with their support and involvement. They volunteer in classrooms, fund science, PE and art programs that, as a public school, we wouldn't otherwise have, fund additional teachers to keep class sizes reasonable, and share their creative talents to help the kids put on an amazing musical every spring. If you can score a ticket to this event, you will get a glimpse of the magic that is Topanga Elementary!

Posted February 27, 2011

Counting the days to leave the school. Bullying, teachers that don't teach, but are really nasty to kids. I would rate my child's education a D+. Homework is busy work. Science program is terrible. Bring back the old Science Teacher. The fundraising body charges for everything!! They charge for a Play Program, that should be free since it is a program that they promised at the beginning of the year. Roles always go to the same kids and they are related to the parents that are "producing it". TEP is charging us to buy our kids' artwork. I will confirm that they put out a "shame list" if you don't give - won't give because of it. New principal in only concerned with having warm bodies in the seats to get her money for the day, while the kids are brining every sickness possible to the school. The high API scores are only there because they are taught to the test 2 weeks before. Get out if you go here, don't waste your time if you are considering it.

Posted February 17, 2011

I agree that the fundraising seems out of hand. They are constantly asking for money,and fundrais weekly throughout the year by selling pizza and ice cream after school to the kids! I have also seen this shame list where they do try to guilt you into giving and I also have not given because I don't approve of the fundraising practices there, which seem without ethical guidelines. They also sent home a letter telling you how much money they lose every time your child misses a day. For an affluent area, they sure are constantly harping about money. And there are not a lot of extra activities. No foreign language programs I am aware of, only STAR after school for an additional $400 a month. Small and sweet, but costly without lots of benefits other than the small size.

Posted October 9, 2010

Very interesting school, gorgeous setting, nice kids and it follows the general tone of the community even though it is a public school
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 10, 2010

I have been a teacher for many years and have taught in several different schools. When I came to Topanga Charter Elementary School10 years ago I felt like I was finally home. The staff, parents and children are a close knit caring community that come together to support and encourage each other. I am so very proud to be a part of this l great school!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

+12

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

n/a

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

n/a

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 224 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

Employees

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents7328%
Students13395%
Employees1855%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

22075 Topanga School Road