Posted August 13, 2013
Just Average....I believe there are a lot of changes that should be made at this school..The principal is rude and is completely controlled by her staff. I believe some of the teachers are just old school. The children are rushed thru their academics an the teachers are tired and over worked. This school is not teaching any new technologies and tends to be the same as it was 20 years ago. I hope they get on board with LAUSD and implement the ipad learning system.... For Torrance a change MUST be made

Posted June 17, 2012
I have 3 kids total going through this school. They have some phenomenal teachers and some that probably should not be teaching. The Principle, Mrs Wynhoff, is okay. She tries to work with the parents and supports the school. The office staff are horrible; very messy, unprofessional, and rude! I don't understand why they are allowed to get away with how they treat the kids or the parents! The parents really support the school and try to make up for the cuts to the state budget. My one complaint is the school year starts so late the teachers have to rush through material in order for the kids to learn it for the standardized tests in mid May. It would be better for the kids if they started school a week or two earlier! It seems the moral of the staff at the school is very low in general...don't know if it is tied to budget cuts or poor leadership. This is an average school.

Walteria Elementary School 1

Posted March 31, 2011
My son transfered into a school in CO and his test scores were so low that he was held back. He received passing grades from K-4 with no complaints from the Teacher. Nurse is a part-timer and is not there a couple of time a week. Principal is very poor and they need to get rid of and a few of the lower grade teachers.

Posted October 08, 2009
My son enjoys Walteria. He is learning both the basics (reading, writing, math) and much more (science, history, etc.) as well. We just moved here this fall, and my son's excitement about reading took off phenomenally after starting here just a few weeks ago. He literally won't put his books down now, where before (even this summer), I had to make him read. His 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Katzer, was very responsive to a bullying situation, and the problem was solved the same day we mentioned it to her. The principal is very approachable and helpful, as are the office staff. The teachers overall are enthusiastic and very caring. The buildings are indeed worn but the principal said the school is being completely overhauled during the Summer of 2010. The PTA is very strong. Final note, the kids are not overly competitive, yet they are high achieving. Excellent school!

Walteria Elementary School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
My daughter just started there, but loves it everyday. Her teacher is wonderful. The school also has wonderful parent involvement.

Posted September 16, 2009
This is a great school with wonderful teachers, staff, kids & parents. There is a huge amount of parent involvement that helps keeps things running smoothly. We definitely love our school!

Posted March 31, 2009
I have had 2 children go through Walteria and experienced 4 principals, some better than others. Teachers are mostly great, some awesome, some shouldn't be there. Parent involvement is phenomenal, thank goodness. Adventures in Art and Magic in Music are terrific parent run programs. Campus looks worn. Too much homework and not conistent throughout grades and classes.

Walteria Elementary School 4

Posted December 23, 2008
We moved to Walteria Elementary School when my son started first grade. We had Mrs. Wix who we felt was the best teacher we had ever come across. She is fair, supportive, understanding and challenges bright children in her class. Other teachers are quick to label kids ie. trouble maker, angry, violent...negative gossip campaigning about students among the teachers. Spoke to the principle Williams about it. She seems very easy to talk to and listens. Front office employees are rude!

Posted June 17, 2008
Great school. My daughter really loves it and I am very happy of the quality of education that my daughter is getting. Looking forward to enrolling my other son in it.

Posted June 03, 2008

Walteria Elementary School
24456 Madison Street, Torrance, CA  90505
Last modified Walteria Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Walteria Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews.