Torrance, CA
Students enrolled: 2,171

Posted April 25, 2015
West High is a wonderful and outstanding school. If you want a great education and are willing to work hard to get it, then West High will be a good fit for you West is truly the best!

West High School 3

Posted March 21, 2015
part 2 --The underclassmen english classes are inconsistent: Eng1H, I had an challenging honors teacher (strict with assignments and deadlines), whereas I knew friends that did nothing in class and breezed through with an A. An honors class. Conversely, Eng2H was a free period, whereas the other teacher held her students up to strict standards when it came to assignments. However, I know the stricter teacher has taken over Eng 2H, so my experience won't be an issue for future students. -I have nothing but praise for the AP English Lang (11th grade) teachers. I know they're all close with one another, coordinating their lesson plans. I love my teacher, who is attuned to the needs of both the high achieving and struggling students, and tries his best to promote class discussion.

Posted April 30, 2013
My daughter gets good grades and she loves going to WEST - Happy kid - Can't really ask for more.

Posted November 25, 2008
Definately one of the best high school's in Torrance. Well-rounded school with great academics, athletics, and nicely-kept campus. Staff are helpful and most teachers are very enthusiastic and willing to help. Daughter and son both go here, and have joined many extracurricular activities and clubs.

West High School 4

Posted September 07, 2008
My daughter graduated from West High School in 2005 and my son is now a 10th grader. I believe that when you set the bar high most people will typically ascend to it. There are many resources at West to do well. If the parent and student are willing to work hard and utilize these resources your student will succeed. My daughter is doing well and in college to receive her BS in Nursing. My son is on the football team at West. He has Honors and AP classes and must work very hard and manage his time well to perform in the classroom and on the football field. I can attest to the fact that he has not received any special breaks or assistance because he is on the football team. We just work very hard.

Posted August 19, 2008
Anyway, I was so angry I ran out of space to review the school. I just want teachers to receive the respect they deserve, especially since all I hear in college is 'You don't REALLY know the material unless you can TEACH it.' I was a student at WHS in 2005. I had my best years here. The curriculum was rigorous and prepares you for college. I chose to take many AP/Honors classes, because they were stimulating. WHS encourages learning and has after school tutoring too. There are many different extracurricular activities, so you're sure to find something you like. The administration was not the best, but the teachers are impeccable. Some stay in their class during lunch time and offer extra help. I am now attending my 4th year at UC San Diego as a pre-med, but I wouldn't have done well in college if I wasn't prepped well!

Posted May 01, 2008
Its the best school in Torrance!!Students who get into it are so lucky!! Although for most of them it would seem pretty simple since West Torrance is mainly for the upper class!! Any how this school is awsome but it can improve. I was a former student, and i got into Stanford, so it did do a good job!!

Posted November 15, 2007
West High School was a great high school; I graduated this year (2007) and now am at UCLA. West High has great extracurricular activities--from clubs to the drama, dance, music, and choral department--all supported by faculty who really care.

West High School 3

Posted August 31, 2007
There is an unreality that one sense at this school. It is as if the teachers and administrators are programed in how they address parents and how they address 'discipline' issues. The programed responses all deal with those who are good students. If you do not fit the profile, it seems that the options are always to transfer. Assistance, caring, motivation, if you are a jock or an upper half student you wil do fine. All others, you hear jargon, 'work harder' as the intervention strategy. This is not a school for all kids or parents for that matter.

West High School 1

Posted July 18, 2007
Sure its great if your child is a natural learner. Meaning they dont have to worry about teachers who are apathetic, vengeful, and what other terms can I use without being censored? The school doesnt do anything to enhance the learning, the kids do it themselves and the parents who monitor their kids. My kids went to this school recently and they are not brilliant but neither are they behavior misfits. They are like many who take longer to learn but not at this school, keep up or you are screwed. They only cater to certain groups and be warned if you challenge the administration on anything, they create a phony defense and are already siding with their 'teachers', those who can do, those who cant 'teach'. pretty much says it all.
2 people found this helpful

20401 Victor Street, Torrance, CA  90503
Last modified West High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top