2,171 students|Torrance Unified

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted October 21, 2015
Most of the work given is busy work. Math classes no longer have homework for any credit and they other subjects give little more than simple worksheets the vast majority of the time

West High School 2

Posted October 21, 2015
The English department is fine and so are the other languages. I have nothing but praise for Ms. Kim who teaches physics and I am told the anatomy teachers are very good though I have never taken that class. I have enjoyed all my classes in the art department but aside from that the experience has been horrible. The math department is pathetic there is possible one good teacher and even then its questionable. However it is the administrators that do the most damage. The school is in horrible disrepair and even when the school has no power so not even the toilets function they refuse to send the students home. The rules and policies are so restrictive that the overall experience is depressing at best. The counselors gave students a week notice on very key college deadlines and October senior year was the first time the college admissions process was discussed in any detail. Parental complaints have no effect either because they refuse to answer the phone or respond to messages. Often even going into the office does nothing because neither the principle, dean, or either vice principle is in the office and each of their individual secretaries send the parents away rather than allow them to wait if they so desire. Those who can do, those who can't teach, and those who are incapable of even teaching become administrators at West High.

Posted April 25, 2015
West High is a wonderful and outstanding school. If you want a great education and are willing to work hard to get it, then West High will be a good fit for you West is truly the best!

West High School 3

Posted March 21, 2015
part 2 --The underclassmen english classes are inconsistent: Eng1H, I had an challenging honors teacher (strict with assignments and deadlines), whereas I knew friends that did nothing in class and breezed through with an A. An honors class. Conversely, Eng2H was a free period, whereas the other teacher held her students up to strict standards when it came to assignments. However, I know the stricter teacher has taken over Eng 2H, so my experience won't be an issue for future students. -I have nothing but praise for the AP English Lang (11th grade) teachers. I know they're all close with one another, coordinating their lesson plans. I love my teacher, who is attuned to the needs of both the high achieving and struggling students, and tries his best to promote class discussion.

Posted April 30, 2013
My daughter gets good grades and she loves going to WEST - Happy kid - Can't really ask for more.

Posted November 25, 2008
Definately one of the best high school's in Torrance. Well-rounded school with great academics, athletics, and nicely-kept campus. Staff are helpful and most teachers are very enthusiastic and willing to help. Daughter and son both go here, and have joined many extracurricular activities and clubs.

West High School 4

Posted September 07, 2008
My daughter graduated from West High School in 2005 and my son is now a 10th grader. I believe that when you set the bar high most people will typically ascend to it. There are many resources at West to do well. If the parent and student are willing to work hard and utilize these resources your student will succeed. My daughter is doing well and in college to receive her BS in Nursing. My son is on the football team at West. He has Honors and AP classes and must work very hard and manage his time well to perform in the classroom and on the football field. I can attest to the fact that he has not received any special breaks or assistance because he is on the football team. We just work very hard.

Posted August 19, 2008
Anyway, I was so angry I ran out of space to review the school. I just want teachers to receive the respect they deserve, especially since all I hear in college is 'You don't REALLY know the material unless you can TEACH it.' I was a student at WHS in 2005. I had my best years here. The curriculum was rigorous and prepares you for college. I chose to take many AP/Honors classes, because they were stimulating. WHS encourages learning and has after school tutoring too. There are many different extracurricular activities, so you're sure to find something you like. The administration was not the best, but the teachers are impeccable. Some stay in their class during lunch time and offer extra help. I am now attending my 4th year at UC San Diego as a pre-med, but I wouldn't have done well in college if I wasn't prepped well!

Posted May 01, 2008
Its the best school in Torrance!!Students who get into it are so lucky!! Although for most of them it would seem pretty simple since West Torrance is mainly for the upper class!! Any how this school is awsome but it can improve. I was a former student, and i got into Stanford, so it did do a good job!!

Posted November 15, 2007
West High School was a great high school; I graduated this year (2007) and now am at UCLA. West High has great extracurricular activities--from clubs to the drama, dance, music, and choral department--all supported by faculty who really care.

20401 Victor Street, Torrance, CA  90503-2255
Last modified West High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.