Torrance, CA

Posted July 30, 2014
Hello my name is Travien Sears and I was the second semester student council president Wood is an amazing environment for not only students but also for parents. Wood was my school for 6 years total and it was so much fun, not only playful but they made academics a lot easier. I thing wood deserved the 2 California distinguished school awards it got!!!!

Howard Wood Elementary School 4

Posted July 24, 2014
I have been very happy with wood. All 3 of my kids go, or have gone there and between them we have experienced every grade. The best strength is their teachers. In our three years at wood we have not had a bad teacher. In fact all seven teachers we have had have been excellent. Each has connected to our kids, ran an organized classroom, and challenged our academically inclined kids. The school is small and has a wonderful family feel. The ladies in the front office are wonderful and set a warm and frendily atmosphere. Two areas to improve are: I hear that the relationship between the principle and the teachers is somewhat strained and needs improvement. Also last year they started split grade classrooms which I am not a fan of. My friends had kids is these split classes and some worked well and some where strained. I'm sure we will have a split class this up coming year and I will repost to report how it goes. Overall a good school, with a family feel and strong teachers. Ps: the refurbishment project that was completed last year has made the physical look and feel of school excellent.

Howard Wood Elementary School 2

Posted January 15, 2012
Since 2009 when the new principal stepped in, this school went downhill at the speed of the rocket ship because of no leadership , no discipline and no educational focus.Teachers are not inspired....the classrooms look like they are from the 80s, it smells bad inside too....There is no way to save this school except changing the whole management! They just remodeling the clasrooms, but this is not enough..... it's just bad....from the inside...

Howard Wood Elementary School 1

Posted January 15, 2012
The leadership is absolutely awful here!! I'm sad that I decided to send my daughter here!! The principal is extremely unorganized and does not seem to have her priorities straight. The teachers and the staff seem well qualified and the school is small which is why i decided to send my daughter but because of the lack of leadership they are just not into it. To top it off I just got a letter stating that wood is barley passing the California standard testing scores and now other kids from less desirable neighborhoods are going to be bused in!! Absolutely unacceptable

Posted March 04, 2009

Howard Wood Elementary School 3

Posted February 03, 2009

Posted May 06, 2008
This school has been not only excellent academic place, also a close friendly, family oriented enviroment world to my kids. Wooks school will be missed by us a lot since we are relocated.

Posted July 13, 2007
This school has been an excellent environment for all of my children. From the teachers, to the principal, to the support staff -- they're terrific.

Posted June 06, 2007
I totally agree about the principal. He's amazing. He's really shown that he cares about the children and their families. I have two boys and they are flourishing with the leadership of their teachers and principal. I never want to leave!

Posted May 29, 2007
Howard Wood has the best principal and I believe that he cares greatly about the students first then the school. My daught is blossoming at Howard Wood mentally and academically!

Howard Wood Elementary School
2250 West 235th Street, Torrance, CA  90501
Last modified Howard Wood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Howard Wood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top