Posted August 21, 2015
As a university professor and an educator for more than ten years, I can say that SCL is a truly extraordinary educational and developmental experience for children. What I'm most impressed about is the high level of involvement of ALL parents which makes for a very rich, supportive environment, the fact that the students are so respectful and kind to each other, and that the school is super-organized and communicative. Between SchoolSpeak (the school's online content management system and parent communication tool), the comprehensive weekly newsletters, and a responsive staff, I always feel in touch with what's going on at school. I'm also really pleased (and frankly a bit shocked) that it seems that kids actually think that being smart and doing well in school is cool. Because of "Faith Family" lunches which introduce kids in different grades to each other, the older kids seem to habitually look out for the younger ones. They say "hi" to the little ones as they walk through campus, congratulate them on awards, etc. It's really sweet. I also love the after school care that is a great "just in case" system in case you get caught at work late or have car trouble.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 11, 2015
The children are required to do volunteer/service hours in upper grades. They also implement a "faith family" program where jr high students are paired with elementary students as their "buddy".

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 11, 2015
Because it is a faith based school, much of their faith and spiritual beliefs come into play in all aspects.

Posted August 11, 2015
We have been with the school for 3 years now. We started at the school when they first implemented the TK program with an amazing teacher! She gave my child a wonderful start and set the educational and spiritual foundation while inspiring a love for learning. We now have a 2nd child who will be starting school. Academically, the grading curve is high for the school and in my opinion, the schools is better for the above average student. There is after school tutoring, but since it's a private school, there isn't a school day program to help children who may be struggling. Aside from that, it is a great community of parents. The principal is young, but very dedicated and has a love for the school and the students. The teachers and administrative staff are easy to communicate with if ever there is an issue. The only drawback is because it is a private school, there are a lot of fundraisers and volunteer expectations. However, again, it's a great community of families and volunteering is really more a social time for parents.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 24, 2015
Some teachers have years (and years) of experience and bring to the school a traditional, no nonsense way of teaching however, they are also balanced out by new teachers who have a new and fresh perspective, as well as new methods to teaching. This dynamic creates a great balanced school experience.

Posted August 17, 2014
St. Catherine Laboure sets high academic standards for students. They also emphasize being respectful to others. They have a 0 tolerance policy for any type of bullying. The environment is welcoming and the community of parents and students is very close-knit. Discipline is a strong point for this school in addition to the academics. It is hard to earn As at this school! I'm ok with that because it has helped my children learn to work even harder. At this school, only hard work pays off. The teachers all care and work hard to provide the students with meaningful lessons. The only downside to this school (in my opinion) is that there is no green space for the children to play. But, academics are what counts so we overlook that. Our children have thrived at SCL. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for strict academics and structure.

Posted January 14, 2014
SCL has gotten my son off to a great start in life! He has attended for three years now and in this short amount of time has grown so much thanks to the wonderful teachers there. He is not only growing academically because of their rigorous standards, but is growing up to be a responsible and caring individual. The teachers there really take responsibility in developing the whole child. I especially love how the school communicates with SCL families through an online program called School Speak. Parents are always aware of what is going on at the school. They also send mini-progress reports to parents on a regular basis through this program so that parents ALWAYS know how their child is doing academically. You can always send teachers notes or ask questions through this system. I love this since I am a working parent and am not always able to see child's teacher daily! I recommend SCL to any perspective families!

Posted January 08, 2014
St. Catherine Laboure School has been like a second home not only to me, but to my children. At SCL, I feel like part of a family. I enrolled both my children and have been at SCL for over 4 years now. I love the family involvement, strong academic standards, and the religious life on campus. I am impressed how the iPads are used in classes on a regular basis and my children also use the computer lab several times a week. Over the last few years, I have seen my children go from using the computer in a basic way to being able to present lessons, create movies for projects, research topics, and use various computer programs to enhance learning, This exposure will help my children will be able to keep up the every changing technology world. I am so pleased that Spanish, art, and religion are part of the daily curriculum too. When my children attend SCL, they are not only receiving a great academic education, but they are receiving real life valuable lessons about how to treat others, helping the community, being a kind person and encouragement to try to do your best in everything you do.

Posted September 03, 2013
I have two children attending this school. I am happy with the school and its reasonable tuition. I have only had a couple of disagreements with a teacher but were resolved quickly. I would recommend this school to any parent that is looking for a school that promotes excellence in education and personal responsibility with the children.

Posted April 12, 2013
We love St. Catherine. They have an excellent academic curriculum which prepares the children for higher education. Many of the graduates go on to excel in advanced placement and honors classes at some of the best private and public high schools, like Bishop Montgomery, Loyola High, Mira Costa, and the Torrance high schools. I've met a few parents who are also alumni, all with college or graduate degrees, that loved St. Catherine so much when they attended that they decided to enroll their own children. The teachers and administration are very professional, caring, and devoted to their jobs. The children are well-behaved. There is absolutley no fighting or bullying. The school offers spanish, art, and techmology classes as well as after school sports and music programs and academic decathalon. It really is one of the best schools in the South Bay.

3846 Redondo Beach Boulevard, Torrance, CA  90504
Last modified St. Catherine Laboure Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St. Catherine Laboure Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top