Torrance, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted August 17, 2014
St. Catherine Laboure sets high academic standards for students. They also emphasize being respectful to others. They have a 0 tolerance policy for any type of bullying. The environment is welcoming and the community of parents and students is very close-knit. Discipline is a strong point for this school in addition to the academics. It is hard to earn As at this school! I'm ok with that because it has helped my children learn to work even harder. At this school, only hard work pays off. The teachers all care and work hard to provide the students with meaningful lessons. The only downside to this school (in my opinion) is that there is no green space for the children to play. But, academics are what counts so we overlook that. Our children have thrived at SCL. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for strict academics and structure.

Posted January 14, 2014
SCL has gotten my son off to a great start in life! He has attended for three years now and in this short amount of time has grown so much thanks to the wonderful teachers there. He is not only growing academically because of their rigorous standards, but is growing up to be a responsible and caring individual. The teachers there really take responsibility in developing the whole child. I especially love how the school communicates with SCL families through an online program called School Speak. Parents are always aware of what is going on at the school. They also send mini-progress reports to parents on a regular basis through this program so that parents ALWAYS know how their child is doing academically. You can always send teachers notes or ask questions through this system. I love this since I am a working parent and am not always able to see child's teacher daily! I recommend SCL to any perspective families!

Posted January 08, 2014
St. Catherine Laboure School has been like a second home not only to me, but to my children. At SCL, I feel like part of a family. I enrolled both my children and have been at SCL for over 4 years now. I love the family involvement, strong academic standards, and the religious life on campus. I am impressed how the iPads are used in classes on a regular basis and my children also use the computer lab several times a week. Over the last few years, I have seen my children go from using the computer in a basic way to being able to present lessons, create movies for projects, research topics, and use various computer programs to enhance learning, This exposure will help my children will be able to keep up the every changing technology world. I am so pleased that Spanish, art, and religion are part of the daily curriculum too. When my children attend SCL, they are not only receiving a great academic education, but they are receiving real life valuable lessons about how to treat others, helping the community, being a kind person and encouragement to try to do your best in everything you do.

Posted September 03, 2013
I have two children attending this school. I am happy with the school and its reasonable tuition. I have only had a couple of disagreements with a teacher but were resolved quickly. I would recommend this school to any parent that is looking for a school that promotes excellence in education and personal responsibility with the children.

Posted June 15, 2013
As a Lecturer at UCLA and an educator for more than ten years, I can say that SCL is a truly extraordinary educational and developmental experience for children. What I'm most impressed about is the high level of involvement of ALL parents which makes for a very rich, supportive environment, the fact that the students are so respectful and kind to each other, and that the school is super-organized and communicative. Between SchoolSpeak (the school's online content management system and parent communication tool), the comprehensive weekly newsletters, and a responsive staff, I always feel in touch with what's going on at school. I'm also really pleased (and frankly a bit shocked) that it seems that kids actually think that being smart and doing well in school is cool. Because of "Faith Family" lunches which introduce kids in different grades to each other, the older kids seem to habitually look out for the younger ones. They say "hi" to the little ones as they walk through campus, congratulate them on awards, etc. It's really sweet. I also love the after school care that is a great "just in case" system in case you get caught at work late or have car trouble.

Posted April 12, 2013
We love St. Catherine. They have an excellent academic curriculum which prepares the children for higher education. Many of the graduates go on to excel in advanced placement and honors classes at some of the best private and public high schools, like Bishop Montgomery, Loyola High, Mira Costa, and the Torrance high schools. I've met a few parents who are also alumni, all with college or graduate degrees, that loved St. Catherine so much when they attended that they decided to enroll their own children. The teachers and administration are very professional, caring, and devoted to their jobs. The children are well-behaved. There is absolutley no fighting or bullying. The school offers spanish, art, and techmology classes as well as after school sports and music programs and academic decathalon. It really is one of the best schools in the South Bay.

Posted February 06, 2012
After attending K-5 at a top public elem. in our area, words can't express how impressed we are! Teachers are truly dedicated and the V.P. and P. are both outstanding/committed educators of the *whole* child. Still in awe - they seem to have thought thru how best to do everything! Communication far exceeds what we've seen in our former school & we can actually see every grade on every assignment as it happens. Middle school does an outstanding job of creating an atmosphere where each child is valued. Bullying is virtually nonexistant. I've seen kids who were teased in our former school cultivated as school leaders, sharing in opportunities to serve school, community and charities. They are so good at raising self esteem in these kids. To me, the middle school academics are on par with JR college. Challenge to adjust from public school but the kids hit honor roll by 7th Gr.

Posted January 04, 2012
We love this school. The principal and her staff are committed, kind and involved. They contribute so much to both the students and making this a great academic environment. The teachers are great (though it is our first year at this school) and they offer a higher standard of curriculum I did not find after interviewing other schools within this area. My child has learned so much even within the first half of the school year. The only negative comment I have about this school is with their church wide fundraising efforts. They seem a bit ineffective and unorganized, but otherwise, the education, teachers and administrative staff and even parents are great!

Posted June 10, 2011
Like all of us GreatSchools parents, I spent a lot of time researching and debating to which school I should send my child. St. Catherine met all of the standard criteria - academically rigorous, safe, diverse. They offer small class sizes, extracurricular activities, before and after school care, and a summer enrichment program. But what sealed the deal for me is the people. From the principal to the custodian, from preschool through 8th grade, each teacher I've met, each parent I've talked to, has been so warm and friendly. It truly feels like we are apart of one big family. My son is excited to go to school each day. What more can a parent ask for?

Posted May 16, 2011
There have been some changes to the school. They now offer low cost tutors after school who are all former students. This school is tough academically and these tutors have been lifesavers for many us. Starting fall 2011 they will also offer Spanish, along with Computer, Art, and PE to all students K-8. The kids are a little sad that the LA Archdiocese has extended the school year "in order to prepare our students for the global economy." But they are also really excited that grades 5 - 8 will have access to iPad's for use in the classroom next year.

St. Catherine Laboure Elementary School
3846 Redondo Beach Boulevard, Torrance, CA  90504
Last modified St. Catherine Laboure Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St. Catherine Laboure Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top