John C. Kimball High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Tracy

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $251,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,360.

Posted May 20, 2014

Socially, and intellectually diverse, John C. Kimball hosts a wide variety of highly enlightened staff, a close knit and incredibly friendly and sociable student base, and dedicated staff members who are passionate about their job. Some aspects are in their own way ridiculous, such as an obvious bias in administering reprimand, but these aspects in no way hinder the students ability to participate as a student. They also in no way violate any ethical codes, nor do they conflict with the general mission of high schools. Consider them instead as easily overcome obstacles and annoyances.

Posted May 6, 2014

As an incoming graduate, I must recommend that any and all considerate parents keep their children stay away from Kimball. The administration is adversarial, the student population largely delinquent, student "leadership" wholly uncommunicative with the student body. One can expect lengthy wait times when working with the office, and harsh penalties for relatively minor offences (I compare this with the two other highschools I've attended, and peer experience). Mandatory ID laniards, in the most unappealing color scheme. I once went to the office, asking for an icepack to numb my finger (pinched nerve). I was issued one, but not allowed to leave the office with it. As I had critical work to be done in the class I had left, I asked if I could get a bag of icecubes to go. They said no, either stay in the office with it or return to class without it. I suffered until one of my teachers got some from the science room, which brings us to the only positive side of Kimball: the teachers. However, two of my favorites are going to Mountain House High anyway (go there, they have a bell tower). Kimball administration runs the school like a jail, and they charge you for the stay.

Posted November 19, 2013

BIG BIG PROBLEMS LISTEN TO YOUR KIDS ABOUT THE STAFF AND TEACHERS THEY ARE TELLING YOU THE TRUTH, DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE I MADE AND PUNISHED MY KID AND FOUND OUT LATER IT WAS THE TEACHERS ERROR.

Posted October 8, 2013

Kimball is the worst! First of all the teachers are terrible! They don't like to teach and they never give back any of your work. A couple of times my spanish teacher lost my tests and gave me a zero on it because she couldn't find it! How unfair is that?! Another thing is that whenever I ask for help from the teachers I get a lecture and/or they yell at me saying that I should know this material already! If I'm coming to you for help obviously I was never taught this lesson! Not to mention how the teachers love to publicly humiliate the students! At this school I don't get bullied by the students. I get bullied by the teachers.

Posted September 22, 2013

John C. Kimball High School in Tracy, Ca. has lots to offer anyone who has a GOOD attitude. It's newer, and, therefore, younger with a few kinks to work out. As a parent of 2 kids who have graduated from high schools in Tracy, and a 3rd who is a senior here at KHS, I know, for a fact, that KHS could use the money. When school starts, teachers ask for items their classes need/will use and parents provide what they can. KHS has promised to handle business matters to do with our kids with dignity, integrity, and consistency. If only the parents could see the forest through the trees. Perhaps the REAL problem is in the main district office, TUSD, from which all of the guidelines are developed for staffing, teachers, and curriculum.

Posted August 15, 2013

This school academically is not bad. It is hit or miss but there are some amazing teachers. But that being said the office staff and the administration is really bad! I am a parent and every time I have to call the office or go into the office I cringe. I have been treated so rudely and dismissively by those in the office. I leave messages and never get a call back. The students that work in the office are way more helpful and cheerful then the people employed there. So I figure if they treat me badly as a parent, how is my child being treated. Not good is the report I hear. The sports programs are pretty good. We have had some positive interactions with the coaches and they do try hard. We are happy with the school mostly and just glad that my child doesn't have to attend classes taught by office staff and the administration. This is a problem that I have heard is ongoing, hopefully some day they will change.

Posted August 10, 2013

I have seen better.The administration staff is completely useless, I am a junior this year and i have seen the principal around campus a collective three times in all my time at this school. The Spanish department is appalling. The math department is meh... i have had a good experience in the science department but sometimes i hear some scary things about it. The French department is amazing! the music and drama programs are good, history and English are very hit or very miss. In my opinion this school dumps way to much money into stupid things. The teachers can be very unprofessional and rude. THE WORST ASPECT OF THIS SCHOOL ARE THE SECURITY GUARDS. They harass you, they swear, and are all around mean, if you can go to West or Tracy High i highly recommend it/

Posted August 8, 2013

The school needs to do something about the teachers. I hate going to school because of the fear that I might get picked on by a TEACHER. A handfull of the teachers swear to, or at their students. Many of the teachers are not focused and do not return our papers for weeks or even months. I do not believe it is a professional enviornment and I personally felt as if I was teaching myself in many of the subjects. I didn't choose my classes based on the difficulty of the course or my interest, I chose the classes where I feel I am likely to get a teacher that will TEACH. I do not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted July 15, 2013

John C. Kimball high school is a young school, that being said they have a lot of kinks to work out in their system. I agree the office staff is by far the worst I've seen in any school. The teachers for the most part are fantastic. Tracy is a commuter town and parent involvement is not very high. You end up having a lot of students who do what they want knowing there aren't consequences. I feel disciplinary actions are either harsh for small offenses or not harsh enough for large offenses. Give the school a few years to grow and maybe I'll come back and change my opinion but for now I would say keep your kids away from Kimball it was honestly the worst 3 years of my educational life.

Posted June 17, 2013

My school is actually pretty awesome. In freshman year I didn't like it because I was zoned for another school with my friends until the last minute. I am going to be a senoir now and know that going to kimball was a great thing for me, as a school we have high test scores and the best teachers. We have special classes like Hire Me First, Print Shop, and more. A lot of students liked to get involved in different activitieslike clubs and sports and teachers like to help students get involved by encouraging us. So I think Kimball is the best school in tracy :D

Posted January 12, 2013

I came from a city which had the best schools and coming to this school have been the worst experience of my life. Starting as a new student, I was introduced around the school while the student was telling me how terrible the school was. In the office, the staffs are really slow, and often make mistakes. The teachers are okay and some aren't really great. Their AP classes are not very advance compared to schools in the Bay Area. They spent so much money on really nice built-in speakers and projectors, but didn't focus improving curriculum. The school is just way behind on some things(lessons taught) and needs improvement.

Posted December 3, 2012

Principal/school leadership is poor. Go and try and set up a meeting with the school counselor, and they won't supply you with a meeting until a month later. The office staff is naive and careless. They act as if all the students are 'bad people.' They have no manners at all. The security guards aren't making the students feel 'safe' at school. Also, many of the security guards tend to use vulgar language in front of the students - not setting very good examples, are we? It's bad enough that the students aren't getting the full extent of their education. English department is unorganized. The math department is alright. The Spanish department is horrible, according to experience. The science department is 50/50. Music department is excellent. The school is still young, but why aren't they trying to improve? I honestly feel alienated at this school.

Posted September 19, 2012

Terrible administration including secretary and registar. Staff there are not willing to help you. "Everything is online so help yourself" will be what you get disregard your problems and urgency. Staff don't listen...they split words "everything is online" or "I'm not the rt pp" but they won't direct to someone who can help you. It is a waste of parents' time deadling with concerns they have for their child. Very disappointing!

Posted May 29, 2012

I love this school! Kimball High school has really given my children the opportunity to shine. My children are involved in multiple sports, AP programs, as well as leadership class. My children have excelled, have been given multiple opportunities, and absolutely love this school.

Posted May 21, 2012

This is the most unorganized school I have ever dealt with. The office staff NEVER answers the phone, occasionally a "student worker" will answer. You are rarely greeted when you walk in the office and if you are, they say "what do you need". The entire staff treats the students as if they are always doing something wrong. My daughter is fearful of going in to the office because of this. The security guards all high five each other in front of the kids if they "caught" them doing something wrong. There is no positive reinforcements at this school. Very sad, being that my other daughter's Tracy High experience was nothing compared to this. I hope they change their attitude or more students will transfer out, just as mine did.

Posted May 14, 2012

Most unorganized, useless school i have ever had to deal with. Poor uninvolved office and counselors, lack of any type or organization, overreactive about things that are unimportant in the high school life and curriculum.. treat students and parent alike as if they are there to have to be put up with and tolerated instead of active partners in education and shaping these kids for their future... Good luck to anybody attending this school

Posted March 15, 2012

Fabulous music and drama department; wonderful upper-level math teachers; enthusiastic AP-level history teachers; abysmal English department--across the board; great French teacher; horrible Spanish teachers; so-so science department. It's a new school, so a learning curve is to be expected, but the administration is simply unwilling to change--even when the problem areas are pointed out (objectively, with portfolios, assignment sheets, etc.). They are the educators; therefore, only they have worthwhile opinions and ideas. And they, the administration, is absolutely rigid. The decent test scores are a testament to the quality of the student body, not the teaching staff or administration.

Posted March 12, 2012

Counselors don't get involved and there is no one to really provide help or "guidance". Our Senior child was lost in preparing for college and even the previous year when deciding which classes to take for the senior year. Good luck to anyone going to this school.

Posted August 12, 2011

The teachers quality is really bad. I agree with earlier review Spanish department is worst. Majority of the kids are struggling in Spanish. There is something wrong with Teachers ability. I have seen Geometry teacher background is not even Math. There was no teacher for Biology for 3 months for an AP class.

Posted July 23, 2011

There are a majority of teachers of which I question why they are even teaching. The Spanish department is very bad, and there is one questionable Geometry teacher I will not name. The English teachers could be better. The music program is amazing and very lucky to have such a staff. Finally, I have never, in my entire education at this school, seen any counselor or talked to any principal. Administration involvement is low.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

556 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

587 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

277 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

473 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

471 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

485 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

200 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

499 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

518 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students32%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)66%
Parent education - college graduate75%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate67%
Parent education - declined to state74%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students19%

Parent education - graduate school/post graduate70%
Parent education - declined to state61%

All Students25%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

488 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

475 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students89%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 9%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3200 Jaguar Run