Tustin, CA

Posted February 12, 2015
My child attends on an Intra-district transfer. I actually selected Benson Elementary over our home school. They incorporate updated technology for a greater learning experience and provide outstanding extra curricular activities. The school has a great mix of students and the teaching staff is excellent. We were lucky enough to have Ms. Ezaki as my child's Kindergarten teacher. So the first experience at school was a very positive one. Ms. Mayer in the office is always helpful and kind. Additional plus, the Principal Ms. Vela has brought great programs to the school, such as the Brave program from the Joyful Child Foundation. We are looking forward to our youngest child attending next year.

Posted February 05, 2015
I have had both of my kids at this school since kindergarten. One is in middle school now and my youngest is in his final year at Benson. I have had the opportunity to interact with ALL the teachers in one way or another. I feel that these teachers give their heart and soul and most importantly, their time to each and every one of the students at Benson. Both my children have thrived and come into their own, have been on honor roll, made beautiful work of art, been part of all the activities, and I contribute that to the Benson staff. I'm so very glad that my family has had such a wonderful experience at such a wonderful school. You would be wise to look into this great little hidden jewel of a school.
3 people found this helpful

Posted February 02, 2015
Barbara Benson Elementary is a truly inclusive school for students of all ability levels. Here at Benson we encourage all students to reach their full potential and be proud of their work, school and community. I am so proud to be a part of Benson Elementary.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 27, 2015
Teachers and staff genuinely care about the well-being of the whole child at Benson Elementary. It's an academically rigorous, technology-forward, and supportive learning environment for all students. I highly recommend this hidden gem!
5 people found this helpful

Posted January 27, 2015
Benson is an amazing little school with a giant heart! I have two children at Benson. We tried Tustin Ranch after moving into the area, because besides TMA it is THE school most parents think is best. I knew by the second day I had made a huge mistake. Benson has an amazing staff. Mr. Ricky is popular with all the kids & parents alike. Mrs. Vela is approachable and concerned about each student. As former technology coordinator for the district, Mrs. Vela and the teaching staff have made advanced technology a part of daily learning. Due to its small size, 5th grade teachers know kindergarteners by name. All of the teaching staff above 3rd grade are GATE trained. Finally, Benson has several special day classes for special needs students. It is a diverse little school with a more realistic picture of what it means to live in a diverse society than many OC schools. One of my children has some learning challenges, and Benson teachers, Resource teacher and staff have been amazing in supporting and accommodating him in the general education environment. Benson is a hidden little gem, and is the "Cheers" of Tustin Unified. It is a family oriented, child centered school.

Posted January 27, 2015
Benson is such a close school community that focuses on what is best for students!

Posted January 06, 2015
I have one child enrolled in Barbara Benson Elementary, and it is an excellent school in my opinion. The teachers and staff are dedicated, kind and hardworking. The kids are kind, jovial and respectful. Parents are involved and helpful, and the school's atmosphere is always very friendly and upbeat. The kids are exposed to the cultural arts via various programs that I love. Also, Benson organizes "Family Nights," where whole families can come to the school grounds and enjoy either free or very affordable entertainment. As far as the students' school work is concerned, I feel that the kids are pushed but not overloaded. Homework is reasonable and relevant, and I can see my daughter achieving the goals that are needed, while still enjoying being at school and being a kid. Regarding the comment about gang member(s) & etc.; I remember reading that comment years ago and being very concerned. All I can say is that reviewers experience has not been our experience AT ALL. Benson is a wonderful school. I have another child that I will not hesitate to enroll when the time comes. I hope my review can help ease other parents' minds on the matter.
5 people found this helpful

Posted June 10, 2014
What a great school! It is the best kept little secret! Excellent teachers, staff and community!

Posted June 14, 2012
Benson is Tustin's hidden gem for an elementary school. The teachers, office staff and parents are wonderful. The parent who wrote the parents are questionable, gang affiliated, etc." must have reported the wrong school, because Benson is nothing of the comments written. Benson is very family oriented and all-around #1. Go check it out for yourselves.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 23, 2012
My family and I have had a wonderful experience there @ Benson! I had my 2boys go there and the teachers are very caring and very helpful and all the staff too! especially Cindy, school's secretary! She is awesome, always so helpful! thank you Benson and Staff for giving my boys and I an awesome experience and education! Unfortunately, we had to move just recently but will my boys will always remember your school!
2 people found this helpful

Barbara Benson Elementary School
12712 Elizabeth Way, Tustin, CA  92780
Last modified Barbara Benson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Barbara Benson Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top