Tustin, CA

Posted September 24, 2013
Nelson is a great school. My children have been here for 4 yrs & their teachers really strive to challenge them. Both children are GATE students and they are always challenged thanks to TEAM time. Students in the same grade are grouped by level and each teacher takes a different level for part of the day. They do this for Math & Language. I love it because the lower level kids get the attention they need & the higher levels can go forward further. Technology in this school is very up to date. This year K-4th grades are getting 10 ipads/ class & the 5th graders will each get an ipad to use in class/home. Each class has surround sound with 1 mic for the teacher & 1 for the students. They use Class Dojo schoolwide so parents can login at home to see their child's behavior daily instead of waiting until conferences. Teacher's are using a class webpage called HAIKU to post homework, tests, & upcoming projects or events. I moved my kids here 4 years ago because I didn't like the student attitudes at their other school. Nelson has great students and they don't tolerate bullying. They really emphasize & reward good character. The principal is always cheerful & very helpful. Staff is great.

W. R. Nelson Elementary School 2

Posted November 05, 2012
I took my child out of Nelson. Nelson did not challenge our child, they went through 4 teachers in kindergarten in one year, there is no such thing as parking at this school, but require we walk your K children to class and then we had to wait for up to 15 minutes before our kids could go in. It really is a joke. The principal tried, but it was obvious there was no cooperation between the teachers and the principal.

Posted November 13, 2011
A growing Title I school that is testing high. Teachers actually care. Great kids, no violence/bullying!

W. R. Nelson Elementary School 4

Posted October 19, 2009
Nelson is a wonderful and supportive school overall. Mrs. Poellnitz is the most amazing teacher I have ever met! I wish that I could clone her. She gave my children a wonderful foundation. The only reason I could not give Nelson 5 stars is because of Paula, the receptionist. She is the rudest thing and she should not be the one to greet visitors to the school. She is not bright and there is always a miscommunication. I can't wait until she retires, hopefully soon! Other than her, I am happy with the education that my children have received at W.R. Nelson.

W. R. Nelson Elementary School 0

Posted October 13, 2009
The teachers at Nelson are great! They cater to every level of learning in their classes. Each grade level works together to give every child exactly what they need to do their best. I have two children at Nelson and I'm more impressed every year. As a parent I feel welcome to come to my child's class to watch or volunteer.

W. R. Nelson Elementary School 2

Posted October 10, 2009

W. R. Nelson Elementary School 3

Posted August 31, 2009

Posted April 02, 2009
Nelson continues to be a great elementary school and neighborhood asset. Leadership is good. Teachers are supportive and focused on learning. Our two boys could not have had a better foundation than what they received at Nelson. They and their friends are in college or headed for college--and well prepared for the challenge thanks to the great start they got at Nelson. Go Tigers!

W. R. Nelson Elementary School 4

Posted March 19, 2009
My daughter is halfway through her kindegarten year at Nelson, and both ehr dad and I are BEYOND happy with the school. We feel involved and engaged with the process on a daily basis. Mrs. Poellnitz is one of those rare and amazing teachers, a woman who cares and loves those kids beyond belief. I am floored; every morning when I drop off my dautghter, kids from the older grades flock around mrs. P to brag about their great test scores and how well they are doing. She's always got a smile, a high-five and a word of encouragement for them all. If you're not happy at Nelson, it means you're not involved. I'm a full-time working mom, too, but I do what I can, when I can. Your kid's education is not up to someone else--it takes YOUR active and engaged particiaption, as well.

Posted February 01, 2009
It's so refreshing to see such great reviews posted about a great school! I have had such a wonderful experience at Nelson and I think the staff goes above and beyond their call of duty. In addition, a recent article posted by Bill Gates states that its not the school your at but the teachers you have. The good news is that Nelson is both a great school with great teachers. The teachers at this school make a difference everyday in my childrens lives! Thank you Nelson..

W. R. Nelson Elementary School
14392 Browning Avenue, Tustin, CA  92780
Last modified W. R. Nelson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
W. R. Nelson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top