No rating

Red Hill Lutheran

Private | K-8 | 340 students

Living in Tustin

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $320,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,700.

Posted July 25, 2014

We have attended this school for the last 5 years. Overall we have had a positive experience at RHLS. The small class sizes, teachers and school environment is why we have chosen to return each year. During this summer we have learned of many wonderful teachers that are not returning in the fall. A few of them have been with the school for years. Our biggest concern is with the administration and their decision making skills. It appears that there is not any accountability process regarding the administration. The board of directors does not seem to take any action regarding concerns that have expressed several times.

Posted July 19, 2014

For the Irvine parent who switched their kid over here. I do not know why. Enrollment has started to go down and Irvine district has great schools, teachers and principals. I am glad I switched my kids to the Irvine District. They did receive a good solid Christian background at RedHill but Irvine teaches a whole lot more to help them through real life.

Posted February 21, 2014

My son is thriving in kindergarten at Red Hill Lutheran School. He is benefiting from a faculty that demonstrates and teaches what it means to be a Christian. As an active 5 year old, my son struggled with self control at the beginning of the year. His teacher handled the situation with positive, open communication and we worked together to encourage appropriate classroom behavior. His teacher continues to effectively communicate what is happening in the classroom and responds quickly to any questions. The K-5 classes recently performed the songs from each branch of the US armed forces and a song called "Love in Any Language" at a recent Grandparents/VIP event. I volunteer in the classroom each week and witness the compassion and patience of the teachers. My son started the school year struggling to hold a pencil, he now writes 3-5 complete sentences and enjoys drawing. He loves the music and performing arts programs and has also shown dramatic improvement in his math and reading skills. Although I live in the (awesome) Tustin Unified School District, I believe receiving a solid education in a Christian environment is priceless.

Posted February 6, 2014

Family. Fellowship. Friends. Red Hill Lutheran School is home. It's a blessing Heritage Elementary is not open to our community, Columbus Grove. K-5 may one day be accessible, but the value of private education is intangible. I am indebted to the personalized, hands-on, transparent leadership of the gifted staff who prioritize education , values, and so much more.

Posted February 6, 2014

We absolutely LOVE this school. Our two oldest kids go to RHLS preschool 2 days/week. We love this school for a million reasons, but a few include: * the admissions process led by Lori Browne is impeccable, familial, clear, and streamlined. * the teachers are remarkable - totally kid people but great with parents. * the communication is thorough - we hear from each kids' classroom every week with newsletters, updates, and needs. * the school's leadership is humble, capable, friendly, warm, and loving. * the classrooms and school property are clean, well kept, safe, and current. * the parent involvement is requested, required and important. We seriously couldn't love RHLS more. We hope our kids will be there for a long time.

Posted October 17, 2013

We switched from Irvine Public School to RHLS 3 years ago when my daughter was entering 2nd grade. We love the school! The small class size really gives the teachers the opportunity and space to TEACH and mentor our kids. They don't spend the day just trying to get trough the curriculum. They get to know my daughter really well and teach to her learning style. I value their comprehensive education that includes Spanish, Music, Performing Arts, PE AND Math, Science, and English for all grades. We love the environment! I feel welcomed by the staff every time I come on campus, they treat my daughter well and help her when she needs it, and they involve me in her education. The other parents are very welcoming which is so great! We've made some great friendships with the other parents and each year look forward to meeting the new families. If you're looking for a great private school I recommend RHLS!!!

Posted October 12, 2013

I had my children attend the school for awhile since years ago the public school had its budgeting issues. Last two years we were at RedHill, it went down hill. Some of the new teachers hired were terrible and the principal does not attend to anything asked. She still has not returned a message left last year, whereas before I went to the public school, the principal was wonderful returning my messages. Public school has received the budget and they have offered now things they had to cut plus the academics are amazing. Everyone talks about large class sizes. Yes but I have been blessed with a wonderful teacher in the public school even though she has 31 students, she has taken time to know all her students and my daughter loves her.

Posted October 10, 2013

Our granddaughter has attended RHLS preschool-3rd grade. She is so happy (everyone knows everyone, the staff & older students watch out for & talk with the younger kids--it's the most friendly & caring school I've seen). She will remain through the 8th grade because they focus on obedience, respect for adults/others, caring, do your best, etc. giving her a solid foundation for high school and the rest of her life. My husband, a policeman, says doing a program for students at this school is a pleasure where they listen and are respectful. The academics are amazing; I can't believe how well she reads/writes, is doing complex math problems (in 3rd grade!) & loves science. The music/performing arts classes/productions gave her a love of music & she loves to create skits/plays. "Meet the Masters" introduces them to artists like Picasso & Monet. She safely searches the Internet & uses Power Point and other computer programs thanks to the computer lab. She's learning Spanish. Classrooms are technologically advanced. They have several inter-school sports programs, cheerleading, etc. Field trips & school vegetable garden reinforce what they are learning. Security is very good.

Posted October 9, 2013

Eight Years at Red Hill Lutheran and still loving it! We have other options - yet, we chose Red Hill Lutheran and have never been sorry. My two children have grown wonderfully both spiritually and academically. Every teacher at the school knows them, the campus is small but mighty. Small student-teacher ratios and small group activities, yet, one of first local schools to implement ipod and ipad technology with Promethean Boards and Mac TV's. The small size has allowed my children to compete in Basketball, Volleyball, Flag Football, Track, Cheer, Writing Contest, Speech Meets, Technology Fairs and to be part of the Associated Student Body in Middle School. Through this participating my children have become leaders on campus and off-campus. The teachers truly care for the students ... a witness of this is the number of graduates that are now in high school that frequently stop by to say "hi" to their teachers. Teachers have built relationships with my children that will never be forgotten - they are changing my children for the better and preparing them for life.

Posted October 8, 2013

I am newer to the staff at Red Hill Lutheran school, and I have to say that I'm amazed by the kind of community, efficiency, and standards that I've encountered here. I'm so blessed to be part of this team. As a private entity, our staff is allowed the opportunity to go the extra mile for parents and children in terms of service and care. Students are cared for as if by family here, and the small class sizes ensure great communication and deep involvement by faculty. The staff seeks to glorify God in their policies and actions while strongly adhering to state academic standards. Middle schoolers are using IPads every day in class as their primary learning tool, and the K-5 students are active and knowledgable with SmartBoard and Promethean technology. I'm blown away by the intricate details of a day at RHLS, from the efficient drop-off and pick-up procedures, to the neat debit system introduced to students at the Snack Shack with snack cards, to all the incredible enrichment courses offered after school. This is such a hidden gem of a school in Tustin, and I'm beyond blessed and truly honored to be working with such wonderful people on a full-time basis.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 12, 2013

Don't waste your money thinking your child will be getting a "great" education at RHLS. My child has been here for 5 years now. First of all, I don't think the academic teaching is up to par. It's below and disappointing. It was mentioned to the teacher and she brushed it off. I heard the principal is unapproachable and lacks professionalism but will make an attempt about the matter. Many teachers lack qualifications and credentials so be sure to ask about their background before deciding to enroll your child. Too many parents are delusional thinking that a private school is better. Please do your research. Going public now! Also, too many clicks and phonies (parents).

Posted July 30, 2013

I love SO many things about Red Hill Lutheran School! Having grown up in the public school system, the things I wanted for my child was a Christian atmosphere and also a more personal education. I get both of those at RHLS. The class sizes make it possible for the teachers to really KNOW my child and the Christian character of each staff member is amazing! Thank you Red Hill for an awesome school home for my child.

Posted April 4, 2012

We enrolled our children at Red Hill Lutheran School many years ago. We have been continually thrilled with the teachers and the wonderful leadership both academically and spiritually. Our kids have varying needs which have been individually met. I feel the small class size has been instrumental in their development along with the extra attention and guidance. We currently have a child in middle school and are also very impressed with the technology and innovative tools. We're thankful for the wonderful families here and the friendships our children have made.

Posted January 23, 2012

RHLS is a true blessing for our family! The teachers genuinely care about the development of every child and are supported by an administrative team who believes in professional development so they can bring the best teaching strategies and technology to students. We also feel very fortunate to have access to so many arts (drama, art, cheer/dance, photography etc.), music, and sports opportunities in a time where schools often have to cut these programs. The variety is incredilbe! The administrative team truly seeks to put children first, even if that doesn't always agree with what is "popular". This has resulted in hiring some amazing teachers, and an enriching, positive, loving environment for our children. Rather than just reading these posts, come to the school and see for yourself what we saw when we toured...a place where joy comes from learning, Christ is truly at the center of everything and where children are the priority!

Posted January 20, 2012

- Small class sizes - Love the teaching philosophy - Loving adminstration and staff - Challenging academics - Many extra classes (pe, art, music, spanish, performing arts, etc) - Full support staff - Christian focus - Great church support - Happy children

Posted December 3, 2011

My children have been at Red Hill for years and have received an amazing education. The teachers are excellent and caring. They are extremely interested in the children as a whole not just their grades. One of my sons has graduated from Red Hill and he still speaks to has previous teachers there when he needs advice regarding high school. The teachers are outstanding!

Posted December 2, 2011

We have been at Red Hill for many years, and have been pleased with two fantastic principals and several wonderful teachers during our time here. The school recently replaced a few good teachers (competent, but not willing to go the "extra mile") with WONDERFUL, loving, high-energy teachers. We love the music, arts, dance, cheer/spirit, and sports programs. Pastor Seth is a gem in the way he teaches the kids about our faith. The Wednesday chapels show that Jesus Christ is the core and foundation of a great curriculum. Isaiah and Mr. Book are great with music programs! We've NEVER been cursed with "busywork" style homework, the school forbids bullying and public humiliation, and our kids are in CLASSES WITH FEWER THAN 20 STUDENTS! Lots of ways for parents to volunteer, though some parents choose to criticize from the sidelines, and not get involved with the school's programs. Although enrollment has grown considerably in the past few years, they keep class sizes small, and continue to add new programs, like the worship band program, and continue to add computer resources. The new building has been a great help to the school's growth. We feel BLESSED to be here!

Posted November 27, 2011

We enrolled our children at Red Hill Lutheran School looking for a school with small class sizes, a strong academic program where there is still room for music, performing arts, and foreign language. We have found all of this and more! We love seeing the multi-sensory curriculum and how technology is used to get students excited about learning. (This school does not like worksheets!) Christian faith is integrated in every subject. Our children are singing praise songs, learning about philanthropies and how they can make a difference working together. We see why enrollment has continued to grow at RHLS even in a difficult economy.

Posted October 12, 2011

We have been a part of Red Hill Lutheran School for over 10 years. The former principal was amazing...caring, genuine, Christian! Unfortunately I can not say the same thing about the current administration. I agree with earlier reviews regarding favoritism among students and parents. If you are a "chosen" family, you will be treated wonderfully. If you are a parent that may question the administration or school in general, you will not be treated so well. In the past 4 years, RHLS has lost quite a number of amazing teachers and staff. And although the School Board and pastor know the reason, they are refusing to assist the teachers with their concerns. The school is seeing a decrease in enrollment as well. This is all very unfortunate for a school that was once something amazing and of great value for the students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 2, 2010

My son has had a great experience at this school, but I have come to discover that some public schools actually have more challenging curriculum. Teachers are great, but some issues with bullying and other behavior could be handled more effectively.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Ms. Cindy Jordan
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Evangelical lutheran church in america
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (714) 544-8176

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious