Foothill Knolls Elementary School

Public | K-6

Posted July 28, 2014

I love this school and my son has attended now for two years. The previous principal I had a few issues with but those were resolved. The current principal I really like and you see her out every day. She is on top of everything at the school. Our son has had great teachers and the other teachers and staff have been very nice. The main office staff was gruff with us at first but that has resolved too. Very wonderful PTA that works hard for the kids. You get a huge variety of incomes and ages in the parents but that is good for the kids to see as they are all working hard for their kids and supportive. The end of year sixth graders always make me cry as they high five out. Very happy here.

Posted May 31, 2012

The problem I am seeing is that we are in tough financial times in most school districts in most cities in CA. If you just watch the news you have to be aware of this. Parent expectation is way to high. Yes we are tax payers but does that give us the right to just dump children off at school and have zero involvement? NO! Blaming the school staff is way out of line. I am very happy with what my child has learned this year and very unhappy with the lack of parent involvement at this school. There are some really awesome parents and families in this school & other schools in the area have tons of parent involvement. The school staff can't change this! It's up to the parents to get involved & have respect for the entire staff.

Posted May 25, 2012

As my child's 1st year of school is coming to an end, I have no complaints. My childs teacher was awesome, I saw my child do things that I wasn't expecting her to do so early on. My child was excited to go to school everyday, and I was excited for them too. My child was always welcomed at F.K and the most important part was that she felt welcomed too. The staff at F.K. is wonderful, they were always helpful and polite. I have NEVER had a bad experience. I have ALWAYS been greeted when I entered into the office, NEVER has anyone been rude. I love F.K. and I'm looking forward to the years to come. I would recommend this school to EVERYONE!!

Posted May 15, 2012

Two stars for the teachers, most of whom really do give their all and spend their own money to purchase supplies for students and classrooms. But the professionalism and appropriateness of the office administration leaves much to be desired. The comment below, that "the people that have issues with the principal and front office maybe you need to be a little bit more patient and non judgemental", is a perfect illustration of the struggle many parents have with the front office, and the school's principal. If you have a problem, it's YOUR problem, and they generally demonstrate little to no interest in either accepting responsibility for it or acknowledging it. No business could get away with that kind of behavior, but for some reason because it's a school, it's okay? That's just not acceptable, in my opinion.

Posted May 14, 2012

I love this school!!!!IAt first this school was not my first pick for my children, but I am so glad they go here. The teachers, principal and front office is great! My daughter has health issues and I totally trust leaving her there, the nurse is great. I think people just need to give this school a chance. For the people that have issues with the principal and front office maybe you need to be a little bit more patient and non judgemental!

Posted March 5, 2012

I love the way staff treats the students at this school. It's clear that kids come first. The teachers work hard to provide beautiful rooms. They spend their own money and lots of personal time making sure that all students feel at home even when they are at school. The school offers a wonderful day care on site. F.K. really is an extended family to it's community. It's what all schools should be about! I'm so glad my granddaughter attends school at Foothill Knolls.

Posted March 5, 2012

I have found the teachers to be very enthusiastic about the students education. I find that they communicate problem areas and achievements equally well, and accurately as far as my child has been concerned. Parents are encouraged to participate in the education of their children, as well as attend the p.t.a. events, family nights and many other after school functions that instill pride in the students about their school, their projects, and the idea of education as a whole. The school does a very fine job given the budget and demographic from which the majority of the student body falls under.

Posted March 4, 2012

I am quite involved at this school. The staff is wonderful and truly cares about the students while providing them with intellectual challenges. Due to its location, the school offers an environment of diverse individuals from all walks of life. The children enjoy the enriched environment; the school feels like a family and is nurturing. There are numerous opportunities for the students to be challenged, such as participation in the spelling bee as well as in the National History Day competition. At this school, skills essential to life and future success are taught. Teachers are more than willing to help; they work with parents to help their students excel. This school often does not receive the praise it deserves. Students are ensured a quality education at every grade level. Foothill Knolls should not be looked over; it must be given the chance to show what incredible students, and people, it can produce. I love this school and you will too, if you give it the opportunity to shine.

Posted March 4, 2012

Foothill Knolls values the whole child. The kids are more than a test score. The teachers work with parents as a team to ensure the student's success. I have always found them willing to talk about my children. They truly care about the kids in their classes, and take an interest in their outside activities. My kids were given ample opportunities to develop their strengths from leadership to the arts. Each child's achievements are celebrated. My experience with this school has been outstanding at every grade level. I couldn't ask for a better educational environment for my children.

Posted March 4, 2012

I really appreciate the way the teachers switch students amongst the classes in order to ability group. As the parent of high achieving children, I like that their instruction is targeted to their level and given at an increased pace. In the past, my other children (at another school) were left to their own devices while the teacher retaught the struggling students. Struggling children are also taught at their level with a smaller group and additional teachers helping. My child is happiest being challenged. Also, I like that my children are known to many staff members. This contributes to the atmosphere at this school that everyone is responsible for the success of the students.

Posted January 18, 2012

There are absolutely the best teachers at this school. Unfortunately, there seems to be a very bad plan for student success. There are TONS of classroom switching for "interventions" even for the at grade level and higher achieving students. It makes your head spin. Parent involvement seems to be based on a certain limited demographic for "fun stuff" but little invitation is made to those parents who are single-parenting, not comfortable in the English language. Most parents of struggling students aren't made aware of the resources available for their students - sending home a flyer does NOTHING to target specific needs. Finally, the fact that the boundaries mean nothing keeps this school about have's and have nots - the district is at fault for this. Quit sending Colonies students to Peppertree!!!!!! Demographics are directly related to school test scores!!! ps give the school secretary a break, if you have ever spoke to the attendance lady, she is a very judgemental person who seems to enjoy putting families down with an audience of other parents. (it is not your living room...speaking even in code about people is disgusting when it involves children and their loved ones.)

Posted September 30, 2011

We love our PTA. In addition to the usual PTA activities like fundraising, social gatherings, and organizing room parents, they make our school exceptional in two other ways. They pay for half of our school-wide music program. Every student has a half hour music class every week. In the spring we have a performance in the evening showcasing all of their work. The PTA also hires the Imagination Machine to perform at our school. The Imagination Machine is a troupe of actors who use student stories as the basis for their skits. Our students are eager to write a story for them in hopes that it will be the one. Our PTA is an important part of the Foothill Knolls family.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 17, 2011

A real failure on the Principal Chavez's part- she seems more concerned with her special staff lunches, parking wherever she pleases, favoritism etc. She is not concerned with resolving conflict and behavior issues. Peggy at the front desk is indeed very rude and incompetent. Overall a very poor experience. Perhaps giving out notices to families to attend other schools because FK didn't make the grade is a sign that the staff will change there SOON- HOPEFULLY!

Posted December 6, 2010

DO NOT send your kids to this schooll you will have a horrible experience ... principal is on a freebie here... she could care less about the students... why is such an incompetent person a principal at all?? don't even bother filing complaints at the school district they seem to have her back... just go straight to the superintendent and board members.... in this economy it disgusts me to see that the staff and the principal feel so "secure" with their jobs that they could care less about their work ethics.. they literally are getting away with anything they want...hhmmm let's see for how long....

Posted October 29, 2010

I only gave it the 3rd star due to my sons 4th grade teacher, she's great and is the only great thing that I have experienced so far. I am new to this area and school district. I have read the reviews of the poor leadership of ms Chavez and it makes sense why I have experienced such poor treatment from day one, from the rude unhelpful front desk assistant ms peggy to the careless take her assistant's side, ms chavez. oh did I mention the drop off/ pick up is so poorly managed...it's a night mare and the girl out side "coordinating traffic" just stands there doing nothing but being unrealistic about children coming in through the gates exactly at 8:30 am if ur a second late she will close the gate in ur face even if ur one foot away, unbelievable.

Posted October 13, 2010

A SCHOOL WITH A LOT OF PARENT INVOLVEMENT, SMALL TOWN FAMILIARITY WITH UPDATED COMPUTERS, DESKS AND THE PRINCIPAL IS THE BEST...TEACHERS ARE GREAT!

Posted May 27, 2010

My child has atttended Foothill Knolls since K, and we are almost finished. It was once a great school- under Mrs. Davis. It has gone down hill a great deal since Mrs. Chavez took over- and she has ridden on the "California Distinguished School" coat tails (that Mrs. Davis earned) for YEARS now. NO, the school has not earned the title in a FEW years and I have watched it steadily decline. Her (Chavez) leadership and management is POOR- and has driven away great teachers such as Mr. Corbett- a true travesty. If the district finally comes to its senses and removes her- it could be a great school once again.

Posted March 12, 2010

Wonderful teachers that care and get involved. The Principal appears to love what she does. Two of my children attend this school and they both look forward to all the great activities the staff provides. The parents get involved. We're very happy with the education our children are receiving.

Posted February 18, 2010

For the past three years, my son has been in classes of 25-30 students, and this year there are 31 students in his class. There is also no art/chorus program at the school (the district has a choir however). I'm not sure where the stats on this site come from, but they're not entirely accurate. Also, the 4 stars posted here for principal leadership... well, it's very generous.

Posted September 16, 2009

My son attends Foothill Knolls, and it's a California Distinguished School. How could it not be the best? :)

This school's

-23

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students65%

• Michelle Wavering
Fax number
  • (909) 949-7744

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now