Upland, CA
Students enrolled: 1,001

Pioneer Junior High School 4

Posted July 20, 2014
Pioneer is a great school! I had a great 7th grade year, and am looking forward to starting my 8th grade year in the fall. Mr. Dover, the principal, is very involved with the students and is a lot of fun. The accelerated classes (English and history) and the advanced math classes are very good. All of the departments are strong, but the 7th grade elective choices are lacking. Some classes (mostly advanced/accelerated; parents want their kids there) did have close to 40 kids in each, but other classes, like science, had around 20.

Pioneer Junior High School 3

Posted June 26, 2014
Please disregard my rating since I don't have any kids attending this school, but this site required me to rate in order to post comment/rating. How many students are in each class, math, English, science, history, art, PE.? I know charter schools tend to have small class size.

Posted November 09, 2012
I have no idea why some of the reviews say that PJH is horrible, that's ridiculous. I'm currently in my eighth grade year and it's amazing so far. even better than 7th grade. im in band and its amazing. mrs. garcia (the band and chorus teacher) is really supportive, encouraging, and fun! when i transferred in my 7th grade from avms, i didnt know what the accelerated program was so was not in it, obviously...i am now in the acc./honors program and it's a bit more challenging but definitely worth it for high school. the only thing that i believe should be added is a non-rotating schedule, a break after the first 2 periods, and a single lunch period after the 4th period. it'd be really cool if like at my old school, if 7th graders in pre-algebra receive an A in all 3 trimesters, to move to geometry in their 8th grade year ans skip algebra 1 which is pretty much the same thing as pre algebra. overall, the teachers are amazing, our new principal, assistant principal, are awesome, and the school is soooooo amazing!

Posted January 18, 2012
This school is super awesome...it was a no brainer to send my child here. The absolute best counselor ever was here...although she has moved onto the high school...she was a seriously gifted woman. She really connected with students without having to lower her expectations or become a "friend" in a peer way to them. They respected her as an adult mentor and she respected them as human beings. The office staff is not so great. The inability to connect with people "outside" the known community is pretty bad. Lots of assumptions about students and their parents based on appearance and a short history puts them at odds all the time! The attendance clerk is ALWAYS pleasant and understanding to parents and students, exactly how you should be in a position of interaction with children and families. Teachers go above and beyond and are very energetic and dynamic. I would say that the physical education department lacks some true purpose - kids who are obvious athletes and have a healthy exercise/nutrition understanding aren't always graded fairly. Kids who don't meet targets are given poor grades, regardless of their efforts - this doesn't teach a love of fitness, just resentment.

Pioneer Junior High School 1

Posted January 04, 2012
This school is a terrible school. It sucks. The staff isn't very nice, the physical education is terrible.

Posted March 17, 2011
This school is simply amazing. You can't really sum it up in any other way. The office staff is AWESOME (what is kind of odd is that I was greeted by an eighth grader when I walked in the office... at least he was knowledgeable and able to help out! He seemed like an adult! Haha! Better than STAFF at other schools...?) What I really like is the tutorial schedule, that allows students that are proficiently working to get ahead on homework, or for students that need help, some in-depth extra help. The rotating schedule, while extremely confusing, does help allow students that don't too hot in the morning to well in all classes. The principals are AWESOME and very good at what they do (strict but not too strict vice principal and the principal really understands the problems with students and she always jumps through hoops to help). What I wish most, though, is that Algebra 1 help is more available, it's basically tutorial and 15mins after school with 20 other students... Overall, this school has GOT to be one of the best in the IE-with an always updated SchoolLoop, Good staff, and the technology really helps bring the school to the 21st century. Can't wait for my other 3 kids to go!

Posted September 09, 2010
I feel so fortunate that my daughter was admitted to Pioneer in lieu of UJH. I am impressed with the office staff (especially Joanne Pomierski!) and teachers. My daughter has a whole new perspective and enthusiasm about school. LOVE school loop! School loop keeps my child and I well informed and I know EVERYTHING- grades, attendence, participation etc- and the teachers are excellent about updating it daily. If there are any complaints about class size it is because parents who care fight to get their kids in Pioneer- check the great schools ratings on both junior highs in Upland AND YOU WILL KNOW WHY.

Pioneer Junior High School 1

Posted October 27, 2009

Pioneer Junior High School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
Great principal, great staff and wonderful students.

Posted August 27, 2009
i go to pioneer junior high school this year (2009-2010) and the technology is just awesome! all of my classes are the classrooms of the '21st century' i love pioneer iand i will miss it.

Pioneer Junior High School
245 West 18th Street, Upland, CA  91784
Last modified Pioneer Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pioneer Junior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top