Posted September 16, 2014
I am a past student of Carden Arbor View. In fact, I was in the very first graduating class and I was a student when they first opened their doors in Upland. I cannot say what the quality of teachers are like now but in my time they were top notch. I still use my vowel charts in my mind (at age 44!) when trying to explain to my kids why certain words are spelled the way that they are spelled. I was introduced to Latin and French as well as classical music. I can pick out which instruments are being played in a song. I got to do amazing art projects like building my own kite and weaving a basket from reeds. I am a graduate of the University of Houston Clear Lake although now I stay at home with my children. If this school is sticking with the Carden method, I cannot emphasize enough how this stays with a person. If I had remained in California, I would have put my children in a Carden school. However, if they do not have effective teachers then it will be lost. Mostly, I just wanted parents to know that the Carden method works. You will have to evaluate the quality of the current staff.

Posted October 07, 2013
I love this school. My kids are confident, intelligent, creative and curious. Carden encourages teaching the whole child, not just to succeed at an end of year test like our public schools. They also let children be children. They start off slowly encouraging kids to enjoy the process of learning, and not be overwhelmed by it, like at other private schools. I would encourage parents to do your homework about schools in the area. If you are on this site, it's a good start. But understand that most negative posts are by parents with sour grapes to share, and no school is perfect for everyone. Visit Carden and let your kids spend a day there to check it out. Best of luck in your search.

Carden Arbor View 1

Posted September 05, 2013
Carden is not a good school. Academically. The teachers, however, are sub-par -- and that's generous. Our children currently attend another private school. If you need a school that creates a make-believe environment to protect your children from the realities of life, Carden Arbor View in Upland is the place for you. If you want strong, academically-prepared children who will be able to thrive in the real world, Carden Arbor View School is not for you.

Posted September 03, 2013
This school has done an amazing job in developing my children scholastically, emotionally, and socially. The teachers are concerned and committed, and the staff has the best interest of the students and families in all they do. The headmaster manages with quiet, caring, but ultimately absolute authority. I love this school, as they are developing my children to be intelligent and motivated human beings who will succeed and not just to be test takers.

Posted June 22, 2012
Our child started Carden as a 6th grader last fall--she loves it and so do we. We wanted a smaller school with great teachers and high moral standards and Carden has outperformed our expectations. Our daughter loved every one of her middle school teachers and learned a lot in every class. Academic standards are traditional and high, and homework is reasonable (limited to 2 hours per weeknight, but usually for her less than an hour). Courses were Grammar (more stuff than I learned in high school), Literature (read Alice in Wonderland, Tom Sawyer, Dog of Flanders and The Odyssey and did different challenging activities with each), Earth and Space Science, Pre-Algebra, Ancient History, and French; also Life Skills, Art, Music, Composition and Computer. There are fun, low-key sports teams in volleyball/football, basketball, archery and track; and student government. The social atmosphere is kind and welcoming (imagine all the 6th grade girls getting along well!) The headmaster is flexible as to what's best for each child, very well-organized, and lives by and teaches the Carden values. We are so glad we found this school.

Posted February 20, 2011
I speak from first hand experience when I say this is a great school. Carden is an amazing school. From the books we read in literature to the equations we do in math, I love this school. In 8th grade literature we read huckleberry finn, julius ceasar, and many other books. In math we go from 5th grade math to algebra 1. This is truly a great school and it is worth every penny!

Posted June 25, 2010
I am a child who attended Carden Arbor View School and found that it was a fantastic! It really prepared me for high school and all the years to come and I will always look back on my 8 Carden years remembering how much I learned and how great of an overall experience I had there. I highly suggest Carden Arbor View School for anyone who wants to send their child to a school that educates very well and truly cares about the whole child and who that child will turn out to be.

Posted March 31, 2010
I think many of the parents coming to the Great Schools site want to know if this is the right place to send their child. I heartily recommend it for all the reasons the other reviewers give, but want to address the issues the 1 star parents cite. Elementary and middle school are about preparing a well rounded learner, not the high school prep classes we take to get into the competitive colleges. The local schools consider Carden one of the best private feeder schools because our students are prepared with the soft skills that come from having a tight knit parent / teacher / administration triple play. Don't be fooled by parents who want elementary school to resemble a prep school. That is high school.

Posted February 11, 2010
I love my school! it is fantastic! the best ever! :) seriously the best school probally in upland :)

Carden Arbor View 0

Posted January 25, 2010
If anyone has come here looking for a honest review of Carden, keep in mind that the school sends parents to this site to rate the school. Our family took our son out of Carden last year after four years. We feel that education is below average and not worth the money. The teachers our son had were not good. You can do much better elsewhere. We did.

Carden Arbor View