Glen Cove Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Vallejo

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $184,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,340.

Posted October 10, 2013

Glen cove is one of the best schools in vallejo.Our son is autistic and the special Ed dept. goes above and beyond to make him comfortable.The area that needs improvement is the parking lot in mornings and after school.

Posted September 25, 2013

We couldn't have put our child in a better school in Vallejo. The teachers truely care about their students and take the time to work with them and their parents to help achieve their goals. It's a nice environment. I love when my child comes home and tells me he had a GREAT day at school.

Posted July 29, 2013

Overall Glen Cove Elementary school is a really good school. Yes, the parking lot needs some improvements or maybe the parents need to know how to follow directions. My only complaint would be that i really wish the PTA or the principle would see the importance of having a Field Day at the end of the school year just like every school has one. I think this is a good incentive for every kid and a great memory that they will alway have. Please Mr. Allison consider it.

Posted June 5, 2013

Year after year my child's experience has improved at this school. The music program is great, I hear my daughter singing the songs all the time. The teachers and office staff are caring and try hard to make the kids feel safe and respected. From year to year I have noticed that this year the bullying is less and the kids seem to be nicer to each other. They are using a positive approach to keeping the kids out of trouble, and it has made a difference. I visit my child's classroom and help out as often as I can...the teacher and the kids really like the help and support from parents! I have read some of the negative reviews of this school, I can only say that no school is perfect and that this school is striving to put kids first. If the grammar used by these people that have written negative reviews is any indication of their own education, I would say that they don't have a clue! It is what you make it, anyone who expects to be absent from their child's education is a fool and should have never had a child in the first place. I thank all the teachers that have provided my kids with a safe and fun place to learn. I thank the office staff for all their hard work too.

Posted September 11, 2012

Reading the reviews, I felt I should leave mine. My daughter is in her second year at Glen Cove, 1st grade Mr. Banford. I have to say I was hesitant in putting her in school in Vallejo for countless reasons. Mrs. King was her kindergarten teacher and she was AWESOME! My daughter has excelled so quickly from preschool to now and I KNOW that this school is to thank. The staff that I have interacted with are extremely kind, show that they care and do a wonderful job with these children. I find it hard to believe that the parents that have left reviews are rating this school because of a parking lot?? When 300 kids need to be picked up at the same time, be prepared to have traffic. Its not the school's fault, but the PARENTS that don't know how to drive/park or just don't CARE Because they're apparently more important. This school has the faculty to make it great, but do need support of parents to get there. You can't get upset for a truant child, YOU kept your child out of school and then complain that it's not a good school?? Hmm, interesting.

Posted February 17, 2012

My son attended for kindergarten only. He was moved into a combined k/1 class that was extremely disorganized and disfunctional. His teacher attempted to do the best she could but the students were vastly different in ability that both grades suffered. I volunteered regularly just to ensure there was some progress in his learning. My son was reported as truant after us taking a short trip for his birthday. We let the teacher know and got his work for the time he would be absent to be surprised a few weeks after returning that we had to attend a truancy hearing. My main concern was that no one phoned to see if my 5yr old was ok after not showing up to school and they claimed no calls. But they sure were upset about classroom funding lost by his absence. I felt that his education was supposed to be done by the teacher in class not by parents at home. Unfortunately Vallejo's budget woes will leave a mark on the future for years to come.

Posted January 17, 2012

This school is a disaster. The problem seems to be tenure. This school can't seem to get rid of bad teachers. Teachers keep expecting parents to take control of their children's education but teachers are getting paid to do the job and it is not getting done. They blame children, parents, community anyone but their own inability to teach. Having taught I think it is terrible that we all enable this corrupt system. a system which continues to pass around the bad apples and lemon teachers. Lets get rid of teachers that only want a paycheck and could care less about education. I think the school attitude starts with the principal. Anyone so afraid to take on bully parents will not take on bully kids. Time for a change all the way around. We are moving and I am taking my kids to a 5 star school with an 8 out of 10 rating. Time to step up as parents and if you can change schools and if you can't complain. It is time to take on the tenure system. There is a reason that charter schools are thriving.............

Posted August 6, 2011

Last year 2010-2011 was my 3rd graders first year attending Glen Cove School. Although, my daughter's 3rd grade teacher and I had a few misunderstandings during the school year, I found her to be a strong teacher in the classroom. Also, Mr. Allison is a dynamic and caring principal. I do not believe that any school is perfect, especially in the public school system, I believe my child received a good and well organized 3rd grade education during the year. I believe that in order to obtain a quality education for one's child, parent involvement is key, and parent's must reinforce the curriculum and skills taught in class at home. Parent's must micro-manage their child's education, and become very familiar with the grade's curriculum. Parent's must not rely solely on the teacher, school or school district to educate their child, parents MUST become involved. So, before anyone bashs Glen Cove Elementary School,the teachers, office staff or principal make sure you have done all that was expected of you on behalf of your child's education. P.S. every school is dealing with bullying and disciplinary issues.

Posted May 31, 2011

What on earth is the principal thinking on having the kids out in the cold sprinkling just to practice for chorus? Wow he had a umbrella to cover his piano but what about the kids? Dont get surprise if your kids get sick.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 26, 2011

The school has a lot of potential. I have a kindergarten in the school and he learned qutie a bit but I do have to teach him at home also to re-enforce the topics he's learning. The reviews have gotten worst the last few years but I don't think it's entirely the school's fault. I'm sure the state's school budget affected the quality of education. Unlike Alameda, Orinda, Moraga, and other cities that have additional local taxes to support schools, it's tough when class sizes grow to 28, and maybe even 32. Can you imagine one teacher handling 28/32 often undisciplined students in a public school with no additional help? I can't, so I volunteer a lot. Good luck to everyone.

Posted May 4, 2011

i had the worst experience at this school it really seems to me like the teacher my son had this year just did not care or want to be there i saw her on several occasion screaming at a little girl in his class. She also came up to me one afternoon and told me my son had failed there reading test so i asked her what can we do to help him is there a class you can put him in and she said "NO THAT THEY ARE DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN " that's why when i went and talked to the office and they set me up the the help my son needed she also lied to me on an occasion and the lady in the office and the principle also know about that so needles to say i will not go back and i will move from this area to get him a better school and teacher that actually care if he succeed.

Posted April 12, 2011

We had our reservations about sending our daughter to this school, but after talking to some other parents we decided to try it out for a year. We will not be going back. The teachers clearly care about the students, most parents are involved to some degree, but the principal only cares about himself. He seems to be unable to stand up to his teachers when necessary, and flat out lied to me when I confronted him with an issue. He is short with the children, and the most important thing to him seems to be Jazz. I agree that music is important, but every week there seems to be another Jazz assembly.

Posted February 27, 2011

I reviewed this school 2 years ago when my child was in kindergarten. In my opinion, in the past two years the school has gone downhill. We get NO communication from the teacher/principal. Bullying is a HUGE problem at Glen Cove. My family is moving, and so are MANY other families that I have talked with. The parking lot situation has improved, however.

Posted February 16, 2011

The Principal DOES care about the children and does things that I dare say no other Principals would do in this district. There are so many things that the staff here do that go above and beyond the call of duty. Mr. Allison holds a singing choir every Friday with ALL of the grade levels, He also organizes such things as Ocean Night, and really great science nights. There are problems here, but 90 percent of these problems are with 2 percent of the PARENTS! The parking lot is poorly designed and as such makes for a frustrating and often times dangerous place for the children. One of the parents has taken the inititive to do something about this and has greatly improved both the safety and the logistics of the lot. I would recommend this school highly, it is a great place to learn and seems to get better every year! Glen Cove is a wonderful place for children...they blossom here!

Posted September 10, 2009

My kids have gone here since kindergarten. Great school, great teacher great parents.

Posted January 31, 2009

Yes, I agree with the previous message about the parking lot situation. I get very frustrated waiting in the car line, so I just park, even if that means up the side street and walk. Some parents are very inconsiderate, don't give the bus room to pass, an refuse to move their car no matter what! Academically, though, we have had a great experience at Glen Cove. My son has had two very good teachers in his two years at the school.

Posted July 19, 2008

My son has been attending Glen Cove since Kindergarten. The teachers, office staff and principal are very caring and take an active part in student's abilities. I was very impressed at how my son's teachers over the years has worked with him and me. My son was diagnosed with ADHD but instead of turning away, the teachers became even more involved with working with him. Over the summer we moved to another part of town and unfortunately my son was put on a waiting list to attend Glen Cove. I'm hoping that he's accepted so he can continue there for his last two years. Any parent considering Glen Cove for their child to attend is considering a Winner!

Posted April 30, 2006

This school has had, and continues to have a Great PTA participation. Parent involvement is a culture here that is promoted and given importance. The quality of the academic programs are much better than schools in the same district, and are at par with (if not better) than adjacent districts. Music, Arts, Sports, and other activities are being well supported despite of budget constraints because the school recognizes it's importance. Definitely one of the best Elementary schools in the Solano County District.

Posted March 24, 2006

very good quality of teachers that reflects in the STAR results. empahsis is on english/composition then science and math. music lessons/chorus weekly. i see at least 15-20 parents volunteering on campus. they have a great traffic saftey program in the morning which enlists students to help in unloading children from vehicles during morning drop off.

Posted January 12, 2006

Glen Cove Elementary School is a perfect school for my daughter. They encourage children to read books and excell in all areas of academic programs.

This school's
API score

750

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students32%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 10%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

501 Glen Cove Parkway