Vallejo, CA

Posted October 10, 2013
Glen cove is one of the best schools in vallejo.Our son is autistic and the special Ed dept. goes above and beyond to make him comfortable.The area that needs improvement is the parking lot in mornings and after school.

Posted September 25, 2013
We couldn't have put our child in a better school in Vallejo. The teachers truely care about their students and take the time to work with them and their parents to help achieve their goals. It's a nice environment. I love when my child comes home and tells me he had a GREAT day at school.

Posted July 29, 2013
Overall Glen Cove Elementary school is a really good school. Yes, the parking lot needs some improvements or maybe the parents need to know how to follow directions. My only complaint would be that i really wish the PTA or the principle would see the importance of having a Field Day at the end of the school year just like every school has one. I think this is a good incentive for every kid and a great memory that they will alway have. Please Mr. Allison consider it.

Glen Cove Elementary School 5

Posted June 05, 2013
Year after year my child's experience has improved at this school. The music program is great, I hear my daughter singing the songs all the time. The teachers and office staff are caring and try hard to make the kids feel safe and respected. From year to year I have noticed that this year the bullying is less and the kids seem to be nicer to each other. They are using a positive approach to keeping the kids out of trouble, and it has made a difference. I visit my child's classroom and help out as often as I can...the teacher and the kids really like the help and support from parents! I have read some of the negative reviews of this school, I can only say that no school is perfect and that this school is striving to put kids first. If the grammar used by these people that have written negative reviews is any indication of their own education, I would say that they don't have a clue! It is what you make it, anyone who expects to be absent from their child's education is a fool and should have never had a child in the first place. I thank all the teachers that have provided my kids with a safe and fun place to learn. I thank the office staff for all their hard work too.

Posted September 11, 2012
Reading the reviews, I felt I should leave mine. My daughter is in her second year at Glen Cove, 1st grade Mr. Banford. I have to say I was hesitant in putting her in school in Vallejo for countless reasons. Mrs. King was her kindergarten teacher and she was AWESOME! My daughter has excelled so quickly from preschool to now and I KNOW that this school is to thank. The staff that I have interacted with are extremely kind, show that they care and do a wonderful job with these children. I find it hard to believe that the parents that have left reviews are rating this school because of a parking lot?? When 300 kids need to be picked up at the same time, be prepared to have traffic. Its not the school's fault, but the PARENTS that don't know how to drive/park or just don't CARE Because they're apparently more important. This school has the faculty to make it great, but do need support of parents to get there. You can't get upset for a truant child, YOU kept your child out of school and then complain that it's not a good school?? Hmm, interesting.

Posted February 17, 2012
My son attended for kindergarten only. He was moved into a combined k/1 class that was extremely disorganized and disfunctional. His teacher attempted to do the best she could but the students were vastly different in ability that both grades suffered. I volunteered regularly just to ensure there was some progress in his learning. My son was reported as truant after us taking a short trip for his birthday. We let the teacher know and got his work for the time he would be absent to be surprised a few weeks after returning that we had to attend a truancy hearing. My main concern was that no one phoned to see if my 5yr old was ok after not showing up to school and they claimed no calls. But they sure were upset about classroom funding lost by his absence. I felt that his education was supposed to be done by the teacher in class not by parents at home. Unfortunately Vallejo's budget woes will leave a mark on the future for years to come.

Posted January 17, 2012
This school is a disaster. The problem seems to be tenure. This school can't seem to get rid of bad teachers. Teachers keep expecting parents to take control of their children's education but teachers are getting paid to do the job and it is not getting done. They blame children, parents, community anyone but their own inability to teach. Having taught I think it is terrible that we all enable this corrupt system. a system which continues to pass around the bad apples and lemon teachers. Lets get rid of teachers that only want a paycheck and could care less about education. I think the school attitude starts with the principal. Anyone so afraid to take on bully parents will not take on bully kids. Time for a change all the way around. We are moving and I am taking my kids to a 5 star school with an 8 out of 10 rating. Time to step up as parents and if you can change schools and if you can't complain. It is time to take on the tenure system. There is a reason that charter schools are thriving.............

Posted August 06, 2011
Last year 2010-2011 was my 3rd graders first year attending Glen Cove School. Although, my daughter's 3rd grade teacher and I had a few misunderstandings during the school year, I found her to be a strong teacher in the classroom. Also, Mr. Allison is a dynamic and caring principal. I do not believe that any school is perfect, especially in the public school system, I believe my child received a good and well organized 3rd grade education during the year. I believe that in order to obtain a quality education for one's child, parent involvement is key, and parent's must reinforce the curriculum and skills taught in class at home. Parent's must micro-manage their child's education, and become very familiar with the grade's curriculum. Parent's must not rely solely on the teacher, school or school district to educate their child, parents MUST become involved. So, before anyone bashs Glen Cove Elementary School,the teachers, office staff or principal make sure you have done all that was expected of you on behalf of your child's education. P.S. every school is dealing with bullying and disciplinary issues.

Posted May 31, 2011
What on earth is the principal thinking on having the kids out in the cold sprinkling just to practice for chorus? Wow he had a umbrella to cover his piano but what about the kids? Dont get surprise if your kids get sick.

Posted May 26, 2011
The school has a lot of potential. I have a kindergarten in the school and he learned qutie a bit but I do have to teach him at home also to re-enforce the topics he's learning. The reviews have gotten worst the last few years but I don't think it's entirely the school's fault. I'm sure the state's school budget affected the quality of education. Unlike Alameda, Orinda, Moraga, and other cities that have additional local taxes to support schools, it's tough when class sizes grow to 28, and maybe even 32. Can you imagine one teacher handling 28/32 often undisciplined students in a public school with no additional help? I can't, so I volunteer a lot. Good luck to everyone.

Glen Cove Elementary School
501 Glen Cove Parkway, Vallejo, CA  94591
Last modified Glen Cove Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Glen Cove Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top