Hogan Middle School

Public | 6-8

Living in Vallejo

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $184,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,340.

Posted June 5, 2014

I'm a student attending Hogan Middle. Hogan is an okay school.. There's a bit of bullying.. And most are very rude and cuss way too much. It's almost the end of the school year, and so far, I didn't enjoy this very much. But this is my own personal opinion. I would see others having fun and laughing.. This school has a lot of school spirit, and you'd see people getting together and cheering each other on during such events.. This school is great when it comes to spirit events. I just hope that the students improve their behavior when it comes to bullying and doing schoolwork.

Posted April 6, 2014

I am a 7th grade student at hogan middle school . I don't recommend any parent to enroll their child in this school. The teachers seem not to care about the students and are there for the money. The teachers feel more like babysitters than educators. P.E is very unorganized, and just let's you do nothing in the weight room. This is the worst school I ever attended.

Posted December 21, 2013

This is probably the worse school in the California school system. The teachers are not so bad but the ADMINISTRATIVE staff does not know how to communicate back to the parents. I left voice mail messages and sent emails to Ms. Baxter the attendance lady and she never gives you the time of day regardless of the importance you place on the issue. Not even an acknowledgement. Should be fired and hire someone who will take the time out of their busy day to get back to the parents. Now even worse is the school vice principal Mr. Stuart. Not event a call back from him. I expect a delay in response from them but never to get a call back at all is COMPLETELY unprofessional.

Posted September 10, 2013

I love this school back to school night is tonight and I and excited that my son attends Hogan I love how the staff is so helpful and the students I have ran into are very polite! I would deffinantly recommend this school!

Posted December 14, 2012

I refuse to let my children go here. There is so much bullying going on its crazy, and the school administrator is so rude. I had such a bad experence enrolling my children here, the lady who enrolled my child was so unhelpful she seems irritated anytime you come into the office because she has to get up and help you.

Posted July 17, 2011

Best middle school in Vallejo, highest test scores, award winning band, award winning wrestling team. Teachers are dedicated to excellence and are willing to help students after school. There is an after-school program, "boot camp," intensive remediation in the spring, a program of student leaders to help incoming students adjust (WEB), parent support especially for band (Band boosters), and Book Club.

Posted June 11, 2010

you have to send you child to this school. they will do great. my child has a 3.9 and last year she had a 1.3 once your child goes here they will do amazing.

Posted June 11, 2010

I absolutely love this school! My kids say its very friendly and helpful. There curriculum is great. They even have a wrestling team for girls! Finally girls have the chance to do wrestling unlike many middle schools. I say this is the best public school in vallejo!

Posted May 14, 2010

Because of their expectations on each student and the recognition they give them on how well they're doing. I also am impressed with the band and wrestling program

Posted March 20, 2010

I think SPMS is a very good school.How do I know I know I go there.I am a 6th grader at SPMS they make me feel like im important students that are in 7th and 8th graders really help us where the classroooms are and all that stuff like what not to do.I love this school.I love the teachers and the principals.

Posted November 29, 2009

I went to this school my whole time in middle school and it was very fun an also educational now I'm a freshman in high school and my little brother goes there now and I graduated class of 2009

Posted September 29, 2009

I just graduated from this school (I'm a freshman in high school now) and I know that many people think SPMS isn't really a great school, but I think that if the students actually try to listen in class and do the homework, they can easily raise this school's grades. Most kids understand the material, but are just too lazy to put what they have in their heads onto paper. One of the many good things about this school is that they have fun activities to join, like wrestling, band, colorguard, yearbook, and leadership. There's even a book club and an after school program called 'Cool School' to help students with their homework. And the teachers are always willing to help students to the best of their abilities. It may be hard, but if the students, parents, and teachers work together, they can make this school rise above bad influences.

Posted September 14, 2009

I think this school is excellent because the teachers are great and the princibles and the reason I know is because we go there!

Posted August 23, 2009

the teachers seem nice and the band is awesome. I am in 8th grade my first year and it seems like a good school

Posted July 26, 2009

My son was just promoted out of this school and I would have to say that it is one of the worst schools that I have ever had to deal with. Half of his teachers were absent for significant parts of the year, although it is difficult to blame one of the teachers due to their physical condition; however, the school knew that this would be happening, yet the long term substitutes provided were wholly inadequate. The only people who kept the year from being a complete disaster were his science and music teachers. For those who state that the parents need to be more involved, all I can say is that I sent various communications to his teachers asking for information giving them my phone numbers, email addresses, home addresses and was not able to get a single response. The response from the administration was only slightly better.

Posted March 19, 2009

I have taught at SPMS and find that there needs to be more parent involvement earlier in the school year. This involvment should also be continuous throughout the school year. My experience at SPMS has been pretty good for the most part. This school could be the top school in Vallejo if there was more parent involvement and cooperation with the staff. The principal is doing a great job running the school. Teachers and parents need to have more of a connection with each other so that the students can really see that preparation for their future is most important.

Posted February 27, 2009

I have been here for 2 years, & i am in my last year. Some teachers do not teach well. Most students are lazy, which is no excuse to not work hard. The school has good instructional classes, but the p.E. Classes are pretty ridiculous at times, because the teachers send you late to dress back into your street clothes & you end up being late for your next class. I feel it is really sad that in one class, at the most there are 3 students with grades in the a range. Most of the student body do worst in math & history. Homework is another huge issue with this school. There is so much, that straight a students like myself & my friends suffer, & the lazy students obviously do not do it. This school's students strongly need to be disciplined. If you can, place your child elsewhere.

Posted August 19, 2008

Springstowne is a great school the teachers help in any way they can.At springstowne they have an after school program for kids to get help on there homework.There principal is serious about testing and how her school runs.

Posted June 30, 2008

Springstowne Middle School in vallejo CA is a great school. Probably the best public school you'll find in that area. I have only gone there for 1 year now and i feel like i am in a place where the teachers are really supportive. The students are cool and chill at times but you do not want to go around being something your not. At springstowne middle school i found great teachers who support me in my education. I have found many curricular activities at SPMS. Theres: wrestling(boys and girls), band, colorguard, drumline, spanish(for 7th-8th graders), and much more. The teachers are really fun and kind. We have an awesome library with tons of books that i personally LOVE to read. I highly recomend this school for middle schoolers new and old. = )

Posted June 20, 2008

I have taught at Springstowne for over 10 years. We have an excellent faculty as evidenced by our test scores. We have an excellent award-winning band, drumline, and color guard. Our wrestling teams, boys and girls have won many competitions. We have after school 'cool school' and homework help. Students can join yearbook, leadership, and book club. Students are encouraged to do their best, and many of them are in Honor Society and Honor Roll. Springstowne is a great school!

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

303 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students47%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)41%
Parent education - college graduate39%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate33%
Parent education - declined to state50%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students5%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• School psychologist

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Security personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only

Sports

• Band

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

850 Rosewood Avenue