Vallejo, CA

St. Basil's 3

Posted June 27, 2015
It's OK. There's room for academic improvement. And it needs to treat students in all grades more fairly.

St. Basil's 1

Posted March 08, 2015
I would save your money and enroll your student in the public school. The academics are horrible at this school. The Spanish teacher doesn't teach Spanish, she talks about terrorism and actually asked the students to pray for terrorists? Um, ok. The kids are bullies as the cliquey parents can be. Good teachers have left and the inept one in my child's class lost assignments and didn't even look at any rough drafts of reports. Even my child said that his public school teacher is far more competent. Their math program is a mess. The quality of art classes are not great either, My son actually more art in his public school. Overcrowded classes and the kids bicker with each other, the teacher had no control, and she would destined them for 15 minutes after the bell, never mind if your kids have soccer practice right after school, she doesn't care. You might as well be in a public school, but wait, the public schools are more contained. Too much favoritism towards certain families. Save your money. Don't bother with this school.

St. Basil's 4

Posted September 10, 2013
I am used to be a parent of St. Basil's School. The reason why I nominate this school is because I cannot find a school who treat you as a family. St. Basil's school in Vallejo Ca. has a good scholastic record base on the recent test that they gave to the students. The moment you step in their office you felt the welcome that both Pat and Lourdes who work at the front office gave you. For me St. Basil's school is the best and for now I am working my way to go back to this school.

St. Basil's 1

Posted July 30, 2013
Horrible School! Kids are lacking in education so I transferred them to another Catholic School in Vallejo. When they went here their teacher was horrible and the principal had poor leadership. I recently heard that they changed the principal. But I will not send my kids back here anytime soon.

Posted March 12, 2013
My son is in fourth grade and has been at st. Basil since kindergarten. We couldn't be happier. The principal is amazing, the teachers are wonderful and the families are great. The academics are top notch, including computers, music, art, p.e, Spanish and library time. My son loves the extra fun such as mardi gras, talent show, field day, walk for the poor etc!

Posted September 21, 2011
We have attended this school since pre-school and my oldest is about to graduate from 8th grade. I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful this school is. They really have their priorities straight. They are strong on academics, they instill social responsibility, they prioritize 'acting right' and decision making. They are into making a whole, responsible, independent, educated individual. They nurture and protect your child until about 5th grade, then in 6th, they start expecting you to keep track of your own stuff, act independently, and pull your weight. I personally, love this approach, but I have heard from some parents that that was not their expectation. I have to say, it works for me and my family.

Posted April 07, 2011
Our son switched to SBS when he started junior high because we were concerned about the quality of the education he'd get at a Vallejo middle school and high school. We were so happy about the switch that we decided to move our daughter there too even though we liked Wardlaw and she didn't hit jh yet. In the public schools the focus is on math and reading, but somehow SBS is able to do an amazing job teaching these subjects and also incorporate music, religion, social studies, pe and science! We also love how they teach the kids to give back to the community. Although it is a big sacrifice for our family for the tuition it is well worth it!

Posted August 12, 2010
I love this school. My child is now more disciplined and has a better self-esteem since attending SBS. They instill basic catholic education in the students without making but at the same time not cramming it or brainwashing them. For example. My 1st grade child came home one day and said, " I believe in Jesus, Mom, but some people believe in Buddha." He is aware that there are lots of religions and is not judgmental. My child loves their after school program as well. I find that the faculty and staff at SBS are happy and really want what is best for their school community. This is important! Also, I like the diversity of the families who attend both the church and school.

Posted November 17, 2008
Fantastic staff and education program. My daughter is now 3rd grade but learning 4th grade public school math.

Posted August 10, 2008
Vallejo has excellent private education. One of the best schools is St. Basil's. They have reasonable rates, they encourage parent participation. It is unfortunate that testing scores of private schools are not published, since for sure, St. Basil's educational standards are up to par, if not greater than area schools. They have a new, young and dynamic principal, who has shown concern, consistency and total involvement in all aspects of patient educational and spiritual learning. He instituted positive changes in the school. Use of funds are very transparent. The school just recently implemented summer advanced classes, where parents can choose what classes their kids can take- reading/writing, math, cooking, spanish etc. The school has great sports program option for students. Fr. Leon is very close to the school and guides the students spiritually. The school is newly painted and renovated. May the teachers and staff continue their great work!

1230 Nebraska Street, Vallejo, CA  94590