Vallejo, CA

Posted February 16, 2015
It's a no-brainer that there is something wrong with the administration if there is a high turnover of families and staff leaving the school. Any right-thinking and logical person would think twice before passing judgment on people who left. As a long-time member of this school community, I am aware of the good quality of education offered in this school before as shown by the graduates who excelled in high school and college due to the strong foundation they received from highly qualified teachers. But when this new administration took over, the peg seemed to be how much money could be saved while the rest are just numbers and statistics that could be replaced. Many staff and families left or were asked to leave and the exodus still continues. Why would teachers leave without giving notice and without saying goodbye to their students if there is nothing wrong within the system? This administration should sincerely show moral leadership and Catholic values and not regard dissenting voices as nuisance and threats if they want to stop more people from leaving. Meanwhile, before passing any judgment, be critical thinkers; try to see the trees rather than the forest.
45 people found this helpful

St Vincent Ferrer School 4

Posted February 05, 2015
I made the decision to transfer my child out of the Vallejo public school, and I am more than positive that this was the right choice. It really saddens me to see people verbally speaking against my school and literally abandoning it. Yes, there have been quite a few changes and some things that we would rather have seen handled differently, but since I do not the exact reasons for folks leaving nor was I personally involved in any incident, I will stand behind my school as we all try to push through all these rough patches. I've personally seen an enormous change in my child's personality, drive, and spirit that I know had I continued my child's education elsewhere, the outcome would have been quite different. Because of SVFS, the staff, and community, my child is excited about high school, has goals for the future, and even wants to dive deeper into the Catholic church. As alumni of SVFS, not only was I given a great education at St. Vincent's, but I was also taught to have faith, forgive, and treat others as you would want to be treated. I have all faith in my school as a whole, and I sincerely hope that those that are dissatisfied find faith and peace wherever they go.
30 people found this helpful

Posted February 01, 2015
Not the school it once was. Another staff left in the middle of the school year, now a total of 3 in one school year. Parents feeling chaotic & worrying about lack of quality of education. Academics suffering. Students disengaged with staff leaving, grades affected. Student safety and school environment scary. Bullying, physical assaults, and kids dog piling is alive in the school. Loyalty changed and it's time to move on for the kids' sake. This is the worst school year we've had and I'm setting the boundaries for my children. Other school open house events opened my eyes to the deficiencies and less than stellar academics at St. Vincent Ferrer. I suggest you take your money elsewhere and pay for quality education.
48 people found this helpful

Posted February 01, 2015
I am an alumni. My parents attended St. Vincent Ferrer, my brother, sister and I attended...so did my two sons. So this is a third generation SVFS family. I worked at SVFS from 1998-2007. I only left because I got a job at the Catholic high school, St. Patrick-St. Vincent. My years at St. Vincent were special! My sons got a great education and I loved working there. What I cherished the most (and love at SPSV) is the caring and support of the faculty towards the students and fellow faculty and staff. Every school goes through tough times, especially during financial hard times, but St. Vincent Ferrer is a solid school with a good principal. Teachers need to give a 30 days notice if they are going to leave the job. This allows the administration time to fill the position and the students are not left " stranded in the desert". It makes an easier transition for the students so any teacher that does not do this is not worth keeping anyway. I am proud of the teachers and staff at SVFS. They are strong, loving people with student education and well-being a priority!
34 people found this helpful

Posted January 28, 2015
Community, tradition, faith, high educational standards....words that describe both the lay and religious staff, the parents and the church community which have created a nurturing environment for the students. As a Saints alum myself, who have watched several nieces and nephews graduate from this school, I am excited to have my child also experience the same opportunities to create long lasting friendships and treasured memories. In fact, there is a strong alumni presence at this school, with many children who have either one or both parents which attended the school themselves. The staff consists of some long term teachers, including my 2nd Grade and 8th Grade teachers! One morning while speaking with my former 2nd Grade teacher, I was amazed at the fact she greeted each and every student as they walked onto campus by NAME and proceeded to give them a hug! This is the community that I want my child to be surrounded with and I have faith the school will reinforce the same core beliefs and values that I instill in my child.
37 people found this helpful

St Vincent Ferrer School 2

Posted January 27, 2015
So far this being my sons first year in and around a catholic school was a great deal and idea, until today. His teacher told him he couldn't have this certain haircut (which is nicely groomed). Now, it's not written how or what kind of hair cuts, or styles a boy can have or not. As long as it's groomed nice and neat. I take this as being prejudice or discriminating against an ethnicity. Either way it's wrong and very uncomfortable.
35 people found this helpful

Posted December 03, 2014
This school has been seriously downgraded. Let the facts speak for itself: high turnovers among students, teachers, and principals . At least 30 students left in the last school year, nearly half of the long time staff left, and new principals at least every 2 years. The new appointed principal was promoted from being a 4th grade teacher with no leadership skills and no experience to lead a crumbling private school. The long term teachers were not respected and were demoralized so they resigned. Nepotism among the school staff exist. Teachers are stressed and harassed and it is unfortunately passed on to students. The students have many behavioral issues because teachers are too stressed to deal with their workload. This is a poor choice for a private school and I cannot recommend this school for any child.
53 people found this helpful

Posted November 15, 2012
St. Vincent Ferrer School in Vallejo is an excellent school! The Teachers, staff and Principal are kind, competent, compassionate and caring. The Math curriculum is great. They won first place at the Justin Siena Math Competition two years in a row (2011 and 2012). The tuition is reasonalble. Students and parents are wonderful. Lots of volunteer opportunities and Community activities.
13 people found this helpful

St Vincent Ferrer School 2

Posted September 06, 2012
Kindergarten teacher disrespectful, arrogant, rude, pretentious, and abnoxious, very unprofessional, loves to chat with parents about nonsense, whines more than her pupils does, and she does not care if you have real serious concern about your child. My child's behavior changed from positive to negative just the first week of kindergarten. Everytime I try to speak to the teacher regarding my child's behavior, she conveniently blames it on my parenting, makes false assumptions. Then she turns away rudely without finishing the conversation. My child noticed the same about her. She said that her teacher does not listen when she tries to talk to her about something. Obviously she doesn't care about the children's well being. They frequently change principals, they have a new one this year so I cannot rate on leadership. I don't think she can do anything with this kindergarten teacher because she's been teaching there for quite some time. Maybe she's the person who drove the previous principals away? I dont't know, but think twice..do not make same mistake as I did for your kid's sake. Kindergarten should be a positive and rewarding experience for your child.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 04, 2009
As a parent, we always want whats best for our children. Sending my son to St Vincents was a no brainer given the state of vallejo's public school system. To say this school is impressive, does not do it justice. The staff is caring and attentive, the courses material is great, the parents are excellent. Volunteering at first was bogus to me, but now I love it. I get to meet other parents and the kids that my son interacts with. Bottomline this school is an excellent choice for any parent to choose.
7 people found this helpful

St Vincent Ferrer School
420 Florida Street, Vallejo, CA  94590
Last modified St Vincent Ferrer School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Vincent Ferrer School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top