No rating

North Hills Christian School

Private | K-12 | 231 students

Our school is best known for our safe and nurturing environment.

Living in Vallejo

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $184,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,340.

Posted July 18, 2014

The 2014-2015 school year will be my family's 9th year at North Hills. My oldest graduated from NHCS in 2012 and has gone on to a successful career with the US Army as a linguist. My daughter will be entering the 11th grade and I am excited for the opportunities in store. NHCS offers AP courses along with several University and College tours throughout the school year. North Hills also sponsors a college and career fair on campus which showcases a variety of career fields, colleges, and trade schools to students grades 6th-12th. My children have been involved several extra curricular programs such as sports, student leadership, and a mentoring program with NHCS Kindergarten students (which has been a favorite!) just to name a few. NHCS is more than a school to my children, it is also a family. I have NO regrets making the financial sacrifices of choosing private education for my children and am PROUD to be a part of North Hills Christian School!

Posted September 10, 2013

I Love North Hills. They genuinely care about my son's academics and his development as a person. I have seen him thrive since he's been at this school. The Christian aspect is definitely the cherry on top!!!

Posted February 19, 2013

We looked at private schools all over Vallejo and chose NHCS based on an open house we went to in January of 2010. We were impressed by the teachers we talked to and the Principals of the school as well. Our son started here in Kindergarten and is now half way thru the 1st grade and we couldn't be happier. The teachers are top notch and we feel our son gets a great education while also being taught good religious principles without it being over bearing or judgemental. They have a great before and after school program for working parents and a FANTASTIC summer program as well. NHCS provides a safe and caring place for students to learn and not worry about bullying or fitting in...both things I spent most of my public schooling worrying about here in Vallejo in the 70's and 80's. Can't recomend this school enough...keep up the good work NHCS!

Posted January 24, 2013

My kids attended a few different schools to include public elementary schools in Vallejo. I placed my kids in North Hills Christian School this year (2012-2013) and I am very pleased with my decision. The environment is Christian, where they are able to be themselves without being picked-on (my youngest was bullied in the Vallejo public school system for being too nice and small) or pressured to be different (my oldest acted-out at recess to fit-in with the popular kids). Other students at this school also behave as Christians, are respectful toward adults, and work hard to get good grades. In addition, I love the environment because it seeks to challenge the students inside and outside of the classroom setting. Both my children are excelling in academics; one of them for the very first time! Furthermore, the administration is outstanding! I also think the tuition is reasonable for the SF Bay Area given that other schools I have heard of are 2-6 times as much per student per academic year. If you too can afford to send your children to this school, I highly recommend it! I believe your kids will be a welcome addition to the Student Body just like my kids! God bless.

Posted February 29, 2012

My daughter is now a preschool student at North Hills. During our research, we read through all of the reviews and were somewhat apprehensive about sending our little one to this school. However, we noticed that the majority of the negative/low ratings were from a few years ago. We decided to visit the school on several occasions prior to signing on the dotted line. What we found was a very involved and caring staff. Children were polite to one another (except one whom was a little sh*t) and the administration department appeared to have their act together. We enrolled our child and since have seen a drastic change in her: she is reading Dick & Jane almost entirely on her own; she is writing her own name and can recite the alphabet backward as well as forward; her confidence has improved as has her speech. Not to mention, she is always excited to go to school. Granted, we spend a good deal of time with her at home practicing/learning. But now that she has context, things seemed to have 'clicked'. The before/after school programs have also been a real life saver for both of her parents work. The preschool teachers are wonderful but there is one aid who seems a bit uninformed.

Posted July 19, 2011

With the change in administration three years ago, the school is making a concerted effort to focus on academics and expanding the offerings in the secondary program. The before and after school program is a plus for working parents. The community service projects that they have undertaken have been very impressive. Keep up the good work.

Posted February 7, 2011

I'm fairly pleased with North Hills. My child is currently enrolled in their preschool. There are some small areas that could use improvement, but all-in-all NH has a good preschool program. My child will be continuing on with them into the kindergarten.

Posted November 30, 2010

My daughter has attended North Hills since preschool. All of the teachers she has had are very kind and caring as well as the principals and office staff. The other students are kind and respectful to each other as well as to teachers, staff and parents. My daughter was learning to read and spell along with basic math skills as part of the regular preschool curriculum. This is a very safe school and the extended care offered before and after school is a huge plus for a working parent like myself. Regarding the fees for the school - they are reasonable compared to other private schools I researched. The lunch program is a bit expensive, but the lunches are brought in and there are a wide variety of healthy and organic choices available packaged in recyclable containers. I have been nothing but pleased overall with this school.

Posted April 1, 2009

I attended North Hills Christian School for ten years, from pre-school to eighth grade. I have seen this school grow and change, and I have mixed thoughts about it. My teachers cared about my classmates and me, which is phenomonal. The campus is larger than the school I attend now, and the new facilities are beautiful and professional. I loved the small class sizes too, because my classmates and I were close. I do have complaints about the secondary computer lab, which has old computers and applications. I'm also a bit unhappy that NHCS does not offer many electives or honors classes. The changes in NHCS these past two years don't appeal to me either. Overall, I am pleased with NHCS because of the loving Christian care I received all the years of my schooling there.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 3, 2009

My daughter has been at North hills for 6 years and I feel this school is moving in the right direction. They have new Teachers in High school that are up to date on what a high school should be like. They don't have the electives they do in the puplic schools but they are getting the education that they need to attend college. There sports are good even if the class size is small I feel it is a advantage for my child.

Posted April 30, 2008

I have been a North Hills parent for five years now and I must say that my opinion of the school is bitter - sweet. My children are very bright and have been straight A students throughout. Our family's overall experience has been that the teachers at the elementary level are very warm, caring and academically competent. Trust me, if they pass my husband's code of inspection they must be doing something right. He graduated 1st in his STATE in another country where the standards for education are MUCH more rigorous. We can also say that it is THE safest school you could ever choose for your children. Security cameras are in place all over while security guards keep watchful eyes. The only reason I have given them 3 stars is because their fees are unreasonable & they're primarily about making money...now how christian is that?

Posted October 13, 2007

My son is attending North Hills as a Freshman. Anyone who states this school is not good has not attended other schools in Vallejo. My son even attended a charter school. This school is great! It is clean, the teachers are involved, the students show respect, my husband and I have been nothing but happy with North Hills. Try the other options (I have with other children as well as my son) and you will see that North Hills is the best school in Vallejo. Not only will your children receive a good education they will be blessed by the Christian teachings. The students are taught to respect authority which is lacking in secular schools.

Posted June 11, 2007

We've been at North Hills for 3 years, and my two daughters will be entering the 1st and 3rd grades in the Fall. Our experience at North Hills has been an extremely positive one. Both girls are doing very well academically and they both enjoy their classes, their teachers, and their friends very much. My daughters wake every morning excited about going to school! North Hills offers weekly access to music, library, and computers. There are plenty of opportunities for the kids to get involved in extra activities -- a plethora of after-school activities are offered; there are shows and contests in which the children may participate; and each year, several field trips are planned. I have done an extensive amount of volunteering at North Hills, and I have been impressed with the caring and devoted nature of the other parents, staff, teachers, and administration. We look forward to next year!

Posted January 26, 2007

I have been a parent involved with this school for well over ten years. The is the last year my kid will attend this abysmal school! In my opinion others have nailed the problems this school has: Several incompetent teachers, An administration that does not care for the well being of the students or the concerns of the parents. Absolutely clueless about the students and their academic and personal needs.

Posted December 19, 2006

North Hills must revisit their daily lunch menu. My kids often complain that the food is either overcooked, undercooked, soggy.

Posted September 13, 2006

My son is an extremely bright child. Last year he and others were unfortunate enough to have a teacher that was less than competent and the administration knew and did nothing. Although this is a Christian school (this is a plus!) academics should be very important. I'm not sure the teachers are always up to snuff on the academics. Fortunately for NHCS, they're the only option when it comes to private school in Vallejo. Overall, it's just 'okay.'

Posted August 9, 2006

The quality of academic programs is not good at all. For one thing you have very bad curriclim . There are very bad extracurricular activitties I do not prefer any one of their activivties.There is also no parent involement at all in the school. So I do not like this school.

Posted July 17, 2006

Overall, NHCS is a great school. Our youngest is there & doing well. I found if I have a problem & can not resolve it at the teacher's level; I will go to the top.

Posted July 13, 2006

Our children have been attending NHCS for almost 8 yrs. Ours attend 11th, 5th & 4th grade respectivey. We are OK with the general structure and quality of instruction. Our kids have done reasonably well. The fees are ridiculous. Overall: Good academically, but be prepared to get financially angry.

Posted June 14, 2006

We are an African American (AA) family & our son, age 4 attended North Hills 6 months. It's not a good school if you want him to remain positive, emotionally and mentally stable. While there, our son began to hate school and started chewing the skin on his fingers. Staff do not encourage parent involvement or suggestions. They are unbending. AA boys are not treated as individuals. NH wants 4 year old children to act as if they are robots. Our son comes from a loving Christian (2 parent) family. He is a typical 4 year old boy who can be a challenge at times but he is also extremely intelligent. Children need teachers who love children & love teaching. Kids should be constantly engaged or boredom will set in. He loves school now & will begin kindergarten in another school that's not like North Hills, Thank Goodness!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Paula Prentice
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Core knowledge
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• College counselor(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Security personnel

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school does not have a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

School-based aid
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
School-sponsored trips to college campuses

200 Admiral Callaghan Lane